DFO 2020 Halibut Fishery Announcement & Regs

So what's the hold up on this? Seems pretty clear to me that there is no way we exceed rec quota this year no matter what, so why not just go ahead and lift size limits all together for this year?

So what's the hold up on this? Seems pretty clear to me that there is no way we exceed rec quota this year no matter what, so why not just go ahead and lift size limits all together for this year?
Don’t get your hopes up. I would be amazed if anything changes.

like I said. Fair enough but waiting for results .... :)
In the works - thinking about how other issues are advanced and resolved via consultation.....what is your realistic thoughts on the timeline?

Highly improbable an issue like carry-over is a fast track item in light of everything else the Department is dealing with. One might also anticipate some further discussion could take place with the IPHC, so there just could be a few more steps involved in what from the outside looking in might appear to be a no brainer.

Anything new? I know it is probably a pipe dream with everything else going on, but there is always hope.

area 3A in alaska got an in season adjustment to their annual limits and daily voyages due to covid....not in BC. SFAB & SFI have zero power or influence though...so no surprise (queue the don't hate on volunteers etc..I'm not....fact is zero power or influence, nothing toward the people volunteering just haven't made either effective).

Why don't you get up on a stool and look the volunteers in the eyes in person before you slap them down yet again?

Like I said. Not a shot at the volunteers but the process is completely inefficient, if you can’t separate the two then don’t know what to say to ya :rolleyes:. (Replies are predictable though)

Last edited:
Like I said. Not a shot at the volunteers but the process is completely inefficient, if you can’t separate the two then don’t know what to say to ya :rolleyes:. (Replies are predictable though)

I see we arrived here again. Do you actually think the correct way to get answers for your problem is just continually **** people off with your comments in public way for all to see? Why don't you ask Derby your question in person since you talk to him anyway?

I don't think any one is placing blame on the volunteers, im more surprised there are people defending a inadequate dysfunctional process that cant be changed to reflect what is actually happening on the grounds. Seems we can be closed down in the wink of an eye but when it comes to actually doing the right thing it never happens. Common sense is not that common any more. It really shows how much our input is really respected. Its a shame

Well said WT. The system does not work. Hats off to the volunteers who spend countless hours speaking on behalf of the sport fishing community. Stop by my boat anytime for a corn dog and cold brew! The reality is that the correct and fair changes have not been made.

DFO Scapegoats the volunteers. I agree we shouldn’t blame the volunteers, DFO makes the decision and should own it rather than letting well meaning people take the heat for them. Write DFO. May not do any good but at least they can’t claim to not know!

Will leave 400,000 lbs or so in water. If Dfo doesn’t let us roll a good chunk of that over given circumstances then that’s insane.

That is not much for us so far. Has IREC and logbooks been completed into that ?
I am assuming that is up to June 31 if it came out yesterday.
Don't read anything into the June IPHC report. Still awaiting the more detailed Creel, overflight and Irec data. July is the big month for catch data being assembled to help form a trend line for how much we are using.

Don't expect to see a massive movement on the carry-over provision. Remember the commercial sector has only been able to carry-over 10% of their TAC, and this isn't a generally accepted approach from an IPHC perspective.

Yes, given the current observations regarding effort there is a very real prospect we could not come close to achieving our TAC. Aside from amending daily possession to allow 2 under 90 cm there are very few options given our regulation process which is utterly archaic to amend size limits. Those are described in a Condition of License which must be placed onto every license at the start of the season and cannot be amended once issued.

Back