Demera vs best brown sugar

Whitebuck

Tried 4 different stores in the last 2 days to try and find some Demerra Sugar everybody is sold out.
Has anyone tried best brown sugar instead of demera for their smoke salmon brines?

Brown sugar like demerara is just refined white sugar with the addition of molasses. Hit the google to get more info.

Tried 4 different stores in the last 2 days to try and find some Demerra Sugar everybody is sold out.
Has anyone tried best brown sugar instead of demera for their smoke salmon brines?
I always use Rogers Golden Brown sugar for my salmon brine (available at Costco or Superstore for under 4 dollars for 2 kg.). This sugar makes a great brine. I use 5 parts sugar to 1 part coarse salt (or pickling salt) and brine for 2 full days in the fridge, stirring at 24 hr. and at 36 hr. I rinse the salmon pieces lightly before laying on my racks for smoking.
...Rob

I usually get it at the Kitchen Warehouse at Clark and Hastings in Vancouver.

They are not the same thing and I used to use brown sugar and demerara whichever i could find at the time. However after lot's of batches done in the past I now stick to demerara because i like the smoother, more caramal flavors that come from it over the stronger molasses flavor of brown sugar. But if you are after the stronger molasses flavor go with brown.

Here ya go:
https://www.care2.com/greenliving/what-is-demerara-sugar.html

If you want an alternative, try maple syrup. It works amazingly well. The real stuff if you have money to burn or the artificial no name syrup for next to nothing from Walmart, which works great. I sometimes add extra sugar (brown or even white) to the brine as the sugar in the maple syrup is sucked into the fish and you notice the syrup/brine is thinning out. It all depends on how candied you want it. I end up with very translucent candied smoked salmon strips. There are a great many smoked salmon recipes. One of my buddies likes to add some rum to the brine.

I have tried both Demerara and plain old Roger’s brown sugar many times. I notice no appreciable difference.

just saying....use white sugar on your next batch. you may be suprised. been doing it for 20 years.

Kildonan have to smoke more then 1 time a year to notice a difference.... I personally only use 1 cup to the mix as its does contain molasses.
As soon as i take fish out (when its still warm) I have a warm glaze made up with maple syrup brown sugar and honey that i paint on to let cool with the fish gives it a very nice sweetness hit ...

Back