DE 18.5 - Opinion

EZZ70

I bought a 1999 185 last summer and had been watching these boats come up for sale the last couple years. Honestly it seems a little low priced considering the power is still fairly new so that raises a bit of red flag. I wonder if it has some soft spots in the floor. Look under the motorwell/gunnels for any signs of leaks. I've noticed a lot of my rubber seals/gaskets are shrinking so be aware of that with the deck hardware. From people I've talked to, these older boats are fairly notorious for having their floors cut out/replaced. As far as power goes, I think the 185 is rated for a 150hp max. When it comes time to re-power, I will put a 150 on mine, but I am happy with the 115 Yamaha. I'll be trying to get a proper pitched prop on there eventually. At this price & power, I'd imagine it'll go pretty quick.

I love my DE 185. i was looking at that ad , other than the dated vinyl etc it’s the same boat and hull. great power on that boat. i have an Etec 150 on mine and it goes like hell. i don’t think this is terribly underpowered....a guy could always pitch it differently. the engine well configuration is different; i’m able to mount my kicker to the transom beside the main. the newer hills have a little kick up to allow for this.

I love my DE 185. i was looking at that ad , other than the dated vinyl etc it’s the same boat and hull. great power on that boat. i have an Etec 150 on mine and it goes like hell. i don’t think this is terribly underpowered....a guy could always pitch it differently. the engine well configuration is different; i’m able to mount my kicker to the transom beside the main. the newer hills have a little kick up to allow for this.

Ya I like the new transom design where you can mount the kicker beside the main :)

The more we talk about it the more it’s gonna be sold. Did you throw down a deposit?

Yeah. It'll sell before the end of the weekend. One consideration is the older boat tops are rarely full stand up hight but it is easy to fold down. The 115 is sure lighter than a 150 but the 150/200 are the same weight for the Yami. I had a 115 yami on a loaded 18 hewescraft sea runner and the right prop and a hydrofoil were so important for performance. Looks like it has been bottom painted? So moored/rot possibility? Trailer looks a little light. Rare to find two engines on a well kept boat that are less than 5 years old, rarer still to find a Cuddy at 20k with 20k of power on them :) https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/utility/engine-comparison?E27

I dont think it would be way under powered i had a lodge boat that was a 19 foot hourston and had a 115 on it and was more then fine. its not going to break speed records i think top speed was like 37 mph more then enough ... and that was with 2 clients and me on boat

The more we talk about it the more it’s gonna be sold. Did you throw down a deposit?

no deposit, I just offered site unseen, condition to mech inspection... If someone gets to it before me, no matters, all good :)

Absolutely love my 06 18.5 DE, perfect boat for all I do. Have a 4 stroke 140 Johnson(Suzuki) also like that motor, perfect fit in my eyes. RS You have the disease bad...

HM

BTW

On mine 9.9 4 stroke kicker sits beside the main and that useless rag top, water jet in your lap POS has been replaced by a welded aluminum stand up hardtop.

HM

Absolutely love my 06 18.5 DE, perfect boat for all I do. Have a 4 stroke 140 Johnson(Suzuki) also like that motor, perfect fit in my eyes. RS You have the disease bad...

HM

Thank ya sir, yes I have the itch bad :( I think when I get the 26 back home in the driveway so I can work on it, it will take my mind off "needing to be on the water"...

I have fished in the same hull since the boat was purchased new in 84. Boat was sold last winter.The ride was nice,a little tight for fishing. The rear seats and transom configuration took up valuable space on the 18.6 I would check out the floor and stringers where that piece of wood Is screwed to the floor in picture 3. The strip acts as a dam and the water reaches the bilge down the sides. On our hull the wood strip was bare and not glassed to the floor only screws where holding the strip down. I am not sure if they even used stainless screws. The other thing to watch was the transom where the motor hung, be careful backing up or in vulnerable seas.

Had a step down full height hard top with head/cuddy. Had twin fuel tanks,dual batteries and 140 yammy and kicker. Not sure on the weight but when fully loaded with 4 people it took a while to get up on step even with everyone to the front take off position.

Hmm I missed somethjng your buying a 18.5 DE for yourself too ? You and Gary must share the same bloodline somehow :p

Gary be my brother from a different mother :)

Last edited:
Back