Cutwater sinking at dock

Spunds like a horror show......looks like some serious qc issues. All that being said why wouldn't someone have insured a brand new 500k boat. If you can afford the boat you can afford the insurance. Let your insurer duke it out with the builder.

****** deal.

that sure is a shame and even though that wasnt his fault and he should be given back his money on that lemon he really should have gotten insurance to say that i thought everything would be covered by the warranty is stupid. Who buys a new house or car and doesn't get insurance. Ever hear of a fire or hitting a rock or deadhead or another boat..... the list goes on to have insurance especially for a new boat of that type of value. Just common sense if you ask me.

Let me just start off with ****** deal, I feel bad for anyone that gets hit with a nightmare scenario like this... BUT! This guy sounded like a nightmare from day one. I've experienced clients like this. They just expect things to go wrong and think they can micro manage their way out of issues. The problem is though that, in my experience, bad **** just follows these kind of people around. Maybe it's a lifetime of bad luck that made them that way? Maybe it's karma for not trusting in anyone? Who knows. But 100%, ****** clients ALWAYS have ****** **** happen to them. I've learned to avoid clients when I get that spidey sense about them.

And f*** man who doesn't get insurance. Come on.

I agree with the insurance thing. The guy sounds like a real winner. But for a boat worth almost 400k it's got some fairly serious quality issues.

I just read though the blog my god horrible QC.

Lights filling with water, roof and windows leaking, shower leaking, sinks leaking

The only thing i though a bit odd is he never once said in the blog that the bilge pump kicked in, Nor did he ever say that he was checking the bilge to make sure their was not water building up.

I'm sure all of us on here would of been majorly paranoid about this maybe just did not include it in the blog.

Let me just start off with ****** deal, I feel bad for anyone that gets hit with a nightmare scenario like this... BUT! This guy sounded like a nightmare from day one. I've experienced clients like this. They just expect things to go wrong and think they can micro manage their way out of issues. The problem is though that, in my experience, bad **** just follows these kind of people around. Maybe it's a lifetime of bad luck that made them that way? Maybe it's karma for not trusting in anyone? Who knows. But 100%, ****** clients ALWAYS have ****** **** happen to them. I've learned to avoid clients when I get that spidey sense about them.

And f*** man who doesn't get insurance. Come on.
Maybe I missed something but how can you say the client is at fault? Agree tho he definately should have bought insurance.

Crazy story! I agree on the insurance what if you hit a rock or log, but come on that boat is either a lemon or they are junk. No way you spend that much money on a boat and it leaks like that. Shower doesn't drain? sink leaks? water dripping from ceiling this stuff would drive me nuts. Sounds like these boats are designed for inboards.
So do we have to get a survey on a new boat now? Clearly a issue with the design.

Sounds like he was very clear up front about how everything needed to be in order and clearly it wasnt. He says right in his email "i have been burned before" and he wanted to be clear with his list. Sounds like he was being diligent with his $500k purchase not a ****** buyer. They told him it was possible and all roses at the boat show when they took his money. And he predicted the future as they didnt follow through with requests and repairs he had asked for. Add that to build issues from the factory and he got the raw deal. Planning a trip to alaska is no joke and sounds like he was smart to get ahead of the curve and have everything in line.

Now in the insurance end. Of course you should have insurance. His family was on board for a long range trip on the water. Ridiculous not to be covered.

The only difference with the no insurance is he is fighting the builder with his lawyer and money instead of the big corporate lawyers fighting it out. The insurance company would have done a root cause and gone after the builder for design flaw or something.

The only difference with the no insurance is he is fighting the builder with his lawyer and money instead of the big corporate lawyers fighting it out. The insurance company would have done a root cause and gone after the builder for design flaw or something.[/QUOTE]

You right the insurance company just turns around and recovers their money on this claim for design flaw.

Reactions: abl
Maybe I missed something but how can you say the client is at fault? Agree tho he definately should have bought insurance.
I don't think you missed anything. What rain said about the customer can be said about the supplier. If I was buying a boat for $400K I would want the supplier to make sure everything was perfect on the boat and if it wasn't then make it right and provide superior customer service. Actually if I was buying a boat for $10K I would want the same thing. When things go wrong that is when you learn who stands behind their product and makes sure it's right for the customer.

Crazy, just read the blog. What could go wrong,went wrong. Lots of blame everywhere and many sleepless nights for the owners. Quality control from the manufacturer was non existent for sure. Due deligence from the dealer was totally unacceptable considering what I understood from the detailed email exchange. Hybrid podding for a boat that is traditionally an inboard also indicates a major design flaw that the manufacturer must take full responsibilty for. Unfortunate for sure as all factors mentioned by all leads to a very nasty conclusion.
Who in their right mind when owning a new boat or any boat for that matter would not insurance it at least with a liability clause. When spending $400k plus on a new boat and intending to trailer it and use it throughout any waters should without a doubt have full replacement insurance at the net worth of the boat. At least he could reach a reasonable settlement with the insurance company or with replacement insurance the same boat or something equivalent. Probably not podded I would think. Too bad as I like pods but as a side note not so sure about his choice of twin 300 Yamaha's from what I understand. Maybe the 2018 model is a better year. If insured the battle would have been between manufactures lawyers and insurance company and the owner would have been just looking for a new boat.

Last edited:
I don't think the owner did anything wrong in being specific and particular. This is clearly all the manufacturers and then the dealers fault. I'm just saying that for whatever reason, fate, karma, the barometer, who knows, particular people end up getting the shaft. It's a weird comment I know, it's just my experience.

If / when I ever have a new boat built, and no disrespect to the builder, but I am going to have it surveyed before final delivery. The owner of this vessel definitely should be insured, particularly if there is a lender involved. Who knows if he will prevail testing this in court but he better have significant resources to prove his case even though it does seem to be caused by a manufacturer's defect. That surveyor's report that shows how the Grady is rigged vs the Cutwater is pretty telling.

I'm going to go give my old Hourston a hug tonight.

Back