Salt and pepper to taste
4 tblsp olive or sesame oil
4 tblsp butter
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno chili pepper, thinly sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1tsp. zest of Lime.
2 tblsp of either green or red Curry paste , Cummin. or Curry powder (or a combination)
1tsp. shredded Kafir lime leaves (optional, instead of Lime zest & juice)
1tsp. minced lemongrass (optional, instead of Lime zest & juice)
3 scallions, sliced (optional)

Liquid Ingredients:

1 can (14 ounces) unsweetened Coconut milk
10 cups fish, or chicken stock
2 cups Creamy Butternut Squash Soup may be substituted for an equal amount of the fish or chicken stock.
1 lime, juiced
1 cup heavy cream, whipping cream, or buttermilk.
1 cup dry white wine (optional) may be substituted for 1 cup of the fish or chicken stock.
1 tbsp. fish sauce (optional)

Ingredients to add to soup stock:

Salt and pepper to taste
1 red bell pepper, sliced into 3-4 inch julienne
2 small Yams peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (optional) in place of one the sweet potatoes.
1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 3-4 inch pieces
1 cup bok choy - white parts slice 1/8", green leaves, coarsely chopped
2 Carrots, peeled and sliced into 3-4 inch long julienne
1 Tblsp. brown sugar or to taste (optional)
1 pound salmon fillet, skinned, boned, and cut into bite size pieces

Fresh chopped parsley, coriander, cilantro, or green onion for garnishing the top of soup.

*Method:*

Add all liquid ingredients except cream to a large soup pot. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and sugar (if desired). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.

Add butter and oil to a large frying pan and melt on medium heat. Fry all desired vegetables from the sauteed ingredients list. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent.

Add Curry paste, Cumin, or Curry powder to the vegetables and fry for 1 minute more.

Add sauteed ingredients to the simmering soup stock.

Add fish sauce if desired.

Add green beans and simmer covered.

Add remaining vegetables to the stock (yams added last), and simmer until almost tender.

Add salmon and simmer 2-3 minutes until just cooked once the vegetables are near tender.

Add cream and make final adjustments to seasonings.

Add chosen garnish(s) to the top of soup.

Remove from heat and serve immediately.

Prawns, shrimp or crab may be used as a substitute or in addition to the Salmon. Cooked noodles may be added to the bowl before ladling in the soup.

This is a recipe I customized from many different recipes I found online. The measurements are approximate as I tend to cook a very large stock pot at one time for the family and guests. I cooked up a large pot this week with Salmon, Prawns and Halibut. Everyone raved it was the best soup they ever had. It is very different than the average soup, yet it has an exotic taste that most people really enjoy. Try it and let me know what you think.

Just making this now ..I have not yet added the halibut, coconut milk or cream and it tastes Delicious. Restuarant Quality for Sure. I even have Kaffir lime leaves and Lemongrass! Thanks for the recipe!

Thank you for the feedback Islandgirl, your very welcome.

The recipe may seem like a bit effort upon first read, but it is actually a really simple and quick soup to prepare. I highly recommend serving it over some egg noodles, delicious. Anyone else who gives it a try please let me know what you think.

Got a spicy feeling in my tummy. Tried er out Big Guy and thought it was delish.
What kind of egg noodles are you suggesting? I used flat swirly ones and it made it a bit messy to eat.
The flavors were bang on tho. Cheers

I use 1/2 inch wide flat egg noodles. It never seemed to unruly with the ones I've used.

Glad to hear more than one person has tried the recipe and enjoyed it.

I use 1/2 inch wide flat egg noodles. It never seemed to unruly with the ones I've used.

Glad to hear more than one person has tried the recipe and enjoyed it.

tried this tonight, turned out great, just as soup though, might try it over some noodles tomorrow.

thanks big guy

Glad to hear you all liked it.

I originally posted this in November and until yesterday no one had replied to it. I was beginning to wonder if anyone had even tried it.

I prefer to use "Thai Kitchen" brand green Curry paste for this soup, it gives it an excellent flavor. Adding a can of butternut squash soup to the mix is a simple and easy way to enhance the flavor even more.

As much as I love this recipe it's way too rich for me-even after losing my gall bladder last month.

As much as I love this recipe it's way too rich for me-even after losing my gall bladder last month.

We did change the recipe a bit, no cream and lite coconut milk. Added a bit more curry cause I like that. Just having it warmed up today after being out for a prawn and fish, real cold, too windy, no fish, still good for prawns.

I made this again yesterday to RAVE reviews with salmon and shrimp.
I have never added the cream.. would be too rich for me...I think.
I also use low fat coconut milk..

Glad to hear you're enjoying the recipe.

Comon though, I thought you Island girls only drank whole milk with all the cream fresh from the udder.
Live a little, pour a whole carton of whipping cream into the soup. You only go around once, you might as well enjoy the ride. Try it, you might like it.

Sorry to hijack my own thread. I made a Curry out of the stock from the following way I prepared some Pinks this summer. I swear it made the best Curry ever from the poaching stock.

There have been many good methods posted already on how to BBQ Pinks. That is my preferred method when eating fresh. I tried something new yesterday, as I had a couple of Pinks on hand to use up. I didn't feel like doing up a barbie, so I thought I'd try baking/poaching for a change. Here's what I did:

Two fresh caught Pinks with head and tails removed.
Large roasting pot (used for cooking Turkey)
Filled bottom of roasting pot with 1 litre of Apple juice.
Placed wire tray in bottom of roasting pan to keep fish off the bottom of the roaster.
Season Salmon with salt, pepper, and other desired spices inside and out.
Place both seasoned Salmon on top of wire tray inside roaster.
Add vegetables to stock, onions, carrots, garlic, celery, 2 small hot red peppers. Also place cut veggies into stomach cavities.
Add dabs of butter to top of Salmon.
Pour Thai Sweet Chile sauce over Salmon to cover both top surfaces.
Cover tops of Salmon with diced fresh Ginger and Garlic.

Next place scrubbed small white or red potatoes around the fish near the wall of the roasting pan.
Place a disposable Aluminum roasting tray on top of the Salmon. Poke some small holes in the bottom of the foil tray.
Fill tray with Veggies to accompany the Salmon. I used what I had on hand, carrots, green beans, onions, peppers, broccoli, peas, etc.
Use whatever veggies you like. Season the top of veggies with salt and pepper. Place dabs of butter on top of veggies. Then cover Veggies with a bit of Thai sweet chili sauce.

Put top on the roasting pot place in oven preheated to 400 deg. Cook for an hour and fifteen minutes. Cooking time will of course vary, so check after an hour or so, to see how it's coming along.

This is an easy way to cook a full meal all in one. The fish came out perfect with a nice sweetness and spiciness to it. Veggies were also delicious cooked together with the fish. The veggies do not take on a fishy flavour as they are kept separate in their own roasting tray.

The added bonus was that the pot made it's own juices as it cooked. So, I was left with a delicious sweet & spicy fish/vegetable stock after the dish was cooked. This stock is now simmering on the stove for a feed of curried Salmon made from the leftover Pinks. The flavours are unreal as this stock made one of the best curries I have tasted.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheBigGuy, We had a couple of friends coming for dinner tonight, so my wife decided to give your curry coconut salmon soup a try. It was a great success, everyone loved it. We will definitely be repeating it.

Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Back