Current Tables for Halibut Fishing

Saxe Point

I finally have sort of figured things out and did okay for halibut this year. But in reviewing the current tables for 2020, I noticed a couple of things that raise some questions. Hoping people chime in with some answers.

First, in comparing Murray's Tables with the Borsboom Tables (free off the internet) , there seems to be more differences than overlap between them. At a halibut seminar in Langford I attended a number of years ago, the presenters said that the fishable currents are 16-21 and 37-43 in the Current Atlas. The Borsboom Tables have a lot more currents listed in these ranges than Murray's. I believe both sets of tables are generated using a mathematical formula (the same one?), so I'm wondering why the differences? I have found the Borsboom tables to be very accurate and reliable, and rarely rely on Murray's anymore. I've never bought Washburn's (now called Waggoners). What are your understandings of and experiences with these different tables?

Second, and perhaps more important, do most of you limit your halibut fishing (around Sooke and Victoria) to only the 16-21/37-43 currents shown on the tables, or do you fish other numbers as well? If so, which ones? I find that even during the "16-21/37-43" windows, the currents will be barely fishable at the start of the window, but then improve quickly to almost perfect as you get to slack tide, after which they then start to speed up again. This is why I don't bother trying any other current windows.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

You can get the Murray's tables free online, i beleive they are designed for the current atlas. i find they are always accurate.

You can get the Murray's tables free online, i beleive they are designed for the current atlas. i find they are always accurate.

The Borsboom tables I mentioned are the ones that are freely available on the internet. To the best of my knowledge, Murray’s still have to purchased in paper format.

I know what currents are best in the Port Angeles area, but the values are in Knots.

I use DeepZoom. http://deepzoom.com/ Easy to use once you figure it out.

What units are used in the tables you list: For example 16-21 and 37-43?

I know what currents are best in the Port Angeles area, but the values are in Knots.

Thank you for this, it looks very interesting. I'll give it a close look after work.

Scroll to your area on the chart and zoom in. click on a current number and a 24 hour current graph will show up on the right hand of the screen. Same for tides.

And you can click on the calendar icon below the graph to change dates.

So this year when I Google murrays tables it get the one done by borsboom, maybe murrays are no longer available.

I use DeepZoom too and find it pretty accurate and easy to use although this was my first year fishing the straits so I don't have a lot of experience to draw from. This year I plan to try halibut fishing in the straits for the first time and I'm not confident in my abilities to fish safely off anchor so I will be drift fishing and keeping an eye on the currents with DeepZoom until I figure out the best times to be fishing.

This explains how it works far better than I could: https://www.starpath.com/catalog/books/1806.htm

I will add that 16-21 (flood) and 37-43 (ebb) are the best (i.e. slowest) current charts, and are therefore the best fishing days for halibut.

I am unsure of the how they can forecast the currents, I do know that some are close some days and others wrong. Depends on the closest buoy, or data collector. Constance is very bad for different currents. Can have the ball up here, but 1/2 km over there ball is half submerged. Next time out there look at all the different angles boats swing on anchor on same current. Because of this uncertainty I use a program by Nobletec called Tides and Currents Pro, most accurate currents and tides for 1000's of sites around the world. Does cost $200 if memory is correct but my version is good till 2035.

If fishing around Sooke or Vic after a few years experience you get to know the currents, know where to hide, escape the current. Some places surface water could be a river but 50 ft down water is dead still and gear is straight up/down. Only experience teaches you this. Or spy on others anchored. The no anchoring shallower than 120 around the race severely cut out some really good fast tide hidy holes. Sorry I am not much help on the how. I rely on my program.

HM

I use DeepZoom too and find it pretty accurate and easy to use although this was my first year fishing the straits so I don't have a lot of experience to draw from. This year I plan to try halibut fishing in the straits for the first time and I'm not confident in my abilities to fish safely off anchor so I will be drift fishing and keeping an eye on the currents with DeepZoom until I figure out the best times to be fishing.

So Southern where are you located? I am just east of Port Angeles up in the foothills. I can see Victoria from my drive way, looking across the Rock Pile and Coyote.

I fish the Straits, around Ediz Hook, the Humps, Green Point area, the Rock Pile, South side of Coyote and a few other areas. Sometimes a run to the base of Dungeness is productive.

It is all about bottom structure and currents.

I do not anchor, just too risky in the Straits if the current picks up and besides I fish a lot in the Shipping Lanes, so I have to run and gun sometimes to avoid the big freighters.

Besides, I cover more bottom drifting or using the T9.9. I think moving (drifting or jigging) results in more fish vs. anchoring, especially when jigging as I often do for halibut.

Give me a PM and I will discuss more. I have been fishing the Straits since 1978.

Last edited:
Current predictions are just that - predictions - not always that accurate in certain areas for a host of reasons. Good idea to also use a current atlas in addition to the current station prediction. A current atlas can indicate how strong the current can still be after the tide has changed over a much larger area than just a single station used for current prediction.

Remember we are talking in some areas of billions of gallons of water having to change direction and speed. A current atlas can sometimes better take into account local anomalies and bathymetry and indicate what the current may be over a greater area then just the localized current prediction station locations.

Check them out here:
https://borsboom.io/current-atlas-tables/
https://www.starpath.com/catalog/books/1806.htm

Back