Cuddy Door Replacement

TipUp

I need to replace the door to the cuddy on my malibu 185 and I don't really want to use wood again. Just wondering if anyone has done this to there boat and what exactly did you use? I was thinking some kind of plastic design but I am not sure yet.

use starboard, a little bit more expensive but the "right" material for those sorts of jobs on boats (its the white plastic type board on new boats)

Yeah pricey stuff - about $11.00 a square foot for 3/8" !!! But definitely the right product for this application

Hey Tip I had the same issue last summer and had to replace my cuddy door also. Seaswirl wanted $350.00 for a replacement door. I bought some starboard from Poco Marine and built my own for $60.00. Super easy product to work with and looks factory. Most other plastics do not take the ellements as well as starboard.

It does cost but in my opinion it is worth it.

$60 doesn't sound too bad, do you have any pics of the rebuilt door you made?

TipUp here are a couple pics. The first one is showing the old lid with the crack. I highlighted it blue so it shows. Second pic is half way done rebuilding it. Last is finished product. It is as easy as cutting any plywood.

The sheet I bought for $60.00 was 2' x 4' but you can get tons of sizes.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Lid%20Repair1.jpg
    Lid%20Repair1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Lid%20Repair4.jpg
    Lid%20Repair4.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Lid%20Repair8.jpg
    Lid%20Repair8.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 93
Looks great cedarman. I was wondering how the stuff would be to cut, I have dealt with plexi glass products in my work and its really a pain to cut, especially if you want to avoid chipping. Thanks for the advice.

Ive used starboard before and its great, it is softer then plexiglass so it cuts no problem and does not chip. It drills out smooth also and holds screws very well with small pilot holes. Any tool you can use on wood you can use on the starboard with success.

Well I priced out the starboard at a number of suppliers and was blown away by the cost, $400 / sheet (4' 6" X 8' X 1/2") and Ill need basically a sheet and a half. I've decided thats just too much money to be putting into this boat. Wondering if anyone has experience with other plastics/ composits that may not be necessarily "marine" but wont break the bank. Ideally I could just make it out of one material but Im also considering using treated plywood and facing the exterior with a 1/4" plastic (I'd like to avoid using glass/resin, I've done quite a bit but I know how hard it is to make smooth and uniform). Thanks for any advice.

On my Glasply cabin door and window replacement, I made of frame from rectangular aluminum tubing, and covered it with dark smoked plexi glass. I drilled the mounting holes oversize to allow some movement due to temperature variations. Worked good for 8 years till I sold the boat.

Just finished a job on the new Hourston and used 3/4" marine grade plywood and covered it with a heavy grade laminate. Did all side panels and back panel,tabletop,countertop,backsplash and fridge door.I thought it turned out great.It cost me about $300. Seen guys use checker plate but it would probably cost the same as the Starboard and not as easy to work with.

I appreciate the suggestions, Im still considering but Ill need to make it happen pretty soon, because I want to FISH!

attachment.php
here is a photo of the new panels installed

attachment.php
New side panels

attachment.php
Counter top and back splash

Thanks. I thought that it turned out well,really made the old gal look new again. For the $300 that it cost me it was the cheapest way to go. Now I have to remove the back panels and install the new kicker,forward controls and new steering for the kicker and than the electronics. Than I just need Roy to give me that new stroker of his.LOL

Back