Cray Fish - Edable?

chriswh86

Just out in Campbell lake. Campbell River, BC the other weekend and noticed some small cray fish close to shore.

What are the chances they are edable and good? And the best way to prepare them on a camp fire if they are good?

Chris,

They are nummy. I usually catch them with my hands. They pinch but it's nothing bad. Keep the big ones. I think anything under 9cm you are supposed to throw back. Don't keep any with an underbelly full of eggs either. Cook them like lobster or crab. Boil some water and chuck them in. It's tedious work for the meat but yummy in the end.

X 2, They are great with lots of flavour if done right.

Put them in a bucket of water overnight before you cook them. If they have parasites you will notice in the morning small worms sticking out of the carapiece.. If there's no worms you're good to go, and you can BBQ, or boil em. Yummy.

I used to leave a couple of Prawn traps in one of our local lakes all summer. I'd fish it twice a week and empty my traps then. If the locals hadn't checked my traps for me then I could get a nice feed of crawdads. They're just mini lobsters and taste just as good.
Dave

Back