Craigflower/Colquitz

No fish for the last 24 hrs and the water level is very low.
Last total for Craigflower is 1140 Fish up stream

Hopefully any fish coming in are heading up Colquitz because they have enough water.

Any big cutthroat? I know there are bigs ones in the system. I caught a kelt today elsewhere. Didn't think they spawned so early.

No big cutthroat, maybe 3" at most and not many. I have never seen one caught in the trap because the small guys just come and go between the bars as they wish. The creek is also too small and nowhere for them to hide.

Craigflower and creeks flowing into it are all closed to any fishing of any kind all year round. There are signs posted.

This creek was 99% totally dead before Stream Keepers took it over and we are now starting to see more fish coming back, which will improve our salt water fishing future.

No big cutthroat, maybe 3" at most and not many. I have never seen one caught in the trap because the small guys just come and go between the bars as they wish. The creek is also too small and nowhere for them to hide.

Craigflower and creeks flowing into it are all closed to any fishing of any kind all year round. There are signs posted.

This creek was 99% totally dead before Stream Keepers took it over and we are now starting to see more fish coming back, which will improve our salt water fishing future.

I know it's closed and would never consider doing anything but observing fish, yet have never seen a sign at places I suspect poachers would hit. I have yet to catch anyone but I do keep a look out.

I know there are CT that are bigger than Coho jacks so I assume if their timing were similiar you would be seeing them. Are they up the creeks? Are they targeting marine food sources further out to sea? I find our coastal Cutthroat a particularly fascinating puzzle. I caught one today (in the ocean) that had obviously recently spawned which kind of went against what I thought.

Any salmon reports for Millstream or Colwood creeks?

Last edited by a moderator:
To a walk up Craigflower/Mckenzie this morning. Nice to see a few spawning pairs up near Prior Lake. Obviously a few managed to utilize the short window of higher water to get up some challenging obstacles. No otters.

We took a handful of rugrats for a walk this morning to see some spawning coho up Colquitz. There were a decent amount of healthy looking fish doing their thing right beside the trail. Great walk and the kids are stoked. Here are some videos of the action. I didn't get a clip of it but a big male cruised through that was maybe 15lb.

https://vimeo.com/111358808https://vimeo.com/111358828https://vimeo.com/111358848

No fish for the last few days in Craigflower.
The creek's water flow is good now that the water is flowing over the beaver dam in Pike Lake, which makes for better spawning grounds
Hopefully the next big rain will move more into the system.

Colquitz update:
fish total to yesterday.... 768... only three counted in the past two days as water so low.
a few of Dorothy's (stream keeper)friends spotted this morning in the Mann ave. area..
"one carcass, 6 spawned out ones, and two spawning pairs were spotted by me...
quite exciting for me to see them, although sadly, I didn't recognize them, from their former selves" !

Great video, I was in the same area a couple of days ago and there are a lot of fish nesting.

Last three days we have only released one red male up stream. We need more rain to get
any fish still out there to move past the falls and into Craigflower Creeks and into the trap.

I've been watching the thread and gotta say it's pretty F*cking awesome the work you guys have done. Basically taken a garbage filled drainage ditch and returned it to a fish bearing stream, no small feat!

Thanks guys!

Doug: Enjoy the winter in Scottsdale! Thanks for the Craigflower and Colquitz Creek salmon return updates you have been providing, I appreciate receiving them as I'm sure many others do.

See you on the water next spring/summer.

...Rob

Thanks Rob

The fish count is at 1130 for Craigflower Cr. and no fish over the past weeks. The water is very low and it need rain for the fish to get up the falls.

Doug, I was there last sunday and the flow was no problem...we just got some decent rain and Colquitz had another big push yesterday with another 60 fish and 2 jacks. I am going to walk Craigflower in an hour or so and check on the falls for any needed cleanout.

Last week was cool - found a place further up with a school of a dozen big hogs schooled up together (definitely 3 or 4 pushing 15 lbs) - there were also 2 jacks in with the mix that was interesting to me. Watched them for 10 minutes. Good times. Only other evidence of fish were a pair I assume guarding in Diana's pool...they were definitely on last legs!

good flow today at Craigflower (around 6 on the marker), was 8-10 in the trap at 2:45. Another dozen or so we could see lower down (likely from over the last 24 hours). Looks like a wet week to come should push the last of them through.

its a gong show out there today at Craigflower...guys have been at the trap all day, record numbers about 1550 currently, including 400 today so far. Going to walk it and check in on them later this afternoon

Back