Cowichan

eastside

Fished yesterday, the tree at the washout is still causing problems , it is now a long drag over dry gravel for anybody drifting. I also talked to another angler who told me that there is a new tree partially blocking the flow below Sandy Pool. On a different note , I noticed quite a bit of sign that some anglers may be fishing illegally with bait. Talked to Shane from BCFD and he confirmed my observations.

Hey on a side note, what's the fishing been like on the Cowie this year? Are there many steelhead around? I remember the year before last a buddy hired a guide for the drift between Stoltz and Vimy in January and they only caught some small trout. Hopefully there's more fish this year?

There is a new tree down, probably from Sat night, completely across the river below Sandy in between the old log jam and the Picnic grounds. We have to push our boat over the tree today. It was not fun. The only way to get around it right now is over the tree since there are trees in the side channel as well. Be sure to hug the right side of the river. About 2 hundred yards down river, there is also another 3 trees down in the pool just below the Picnic grounds but you can get around it on the left side, the river bottom road side of the river. Be safe and take your time to scout that area before heading down and you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update on the trees in the river Hyde'n'seek.These are the things that save lives good report!!Not interested in hearing more bait debates anymore.Bait doesnt kill fish poor habitat does.On a positive note the Cowie runs seem strong this year let's just stay safe out there drifting,wading,walking whatever method enough he said she said rattem out crap on here this year!Thanks again John and crew!!

The bait debate on the Cowichan is over. Bait is illegal! Don't complain if and when when you get caught.

We cut through the log below Sandy yesterday. Now you don't need to drag the boat 100m, you can just go up to the log and drag your boat over. The log is more submerged than it was making it easy to pull a boat over, the next high water will move it out of the way. The log at washout is huge and cannot be cut until the river drops significantly, it is quite a grind around this one. Also on the river right side above bible camp there is a log that is in the way with the current pushing you towards it. It is too shallow too avoid and poses a threat. I walked onto the the island there and checked the river left channel and it is clear, since that is where the main flow goes and it stays deep I would stay to the left above bible camp on that channel.

Thats probably it for me from Stoltz down, the Washout is to brutal on me and the Alumi.. The tree at Bible isn't much of a problem, just got out on the bar above and walked it down. Lots of walking the boat around and over trees this year. Keep it safe..

If you take the lefthand channel around the island above the bible camp be careful at the backend. I also heard glass boats drag much easier than tin can boats : ) Is that true?

If you take the lefthand channel around the island above the bible camp be careful at the backend. I also heard glass boats drag much easier than tin can boats : ) Is that true?

like you don't know with your glass boat

Glass boats may well drag easier than aluminum, but the fact remains, it is not fun to have to drag them at all. As the river drops that pull at the Washout is only getting longer.

Sorry RLN I can't actually compare the dragging factor of glass to tin as I have only dragged glass. I have been told that tin is not easy to drag and you were able to clarify that point. What the heck is a "gluvit" ?

If you really want a slick bottom get a sheet of UHMWV (ultra high molecular weight vinyl) and screw it to the bottom of your boat. Slickest coating other than teflon. Its used for skid plates in saw mills. A note of caution , if you are on a downslope of mor than 2 degrees it will start to slide downhill on its own.

Back