cowichan river

cognito

Hi plan on fishing the river looking for a good place to camp and fish first time fly or spoons thanks art

Probably should take a good look at the regulations before you hit the river. Right now it is open for fly fishing only above the mile 66 bridge but is closed below it with a chance potentially opening Early November or by November 15.

Camping stoltz pool would be your best bet when the river eventually does open.

Probably should take a good look at the regulations before you hit the river. Right now it is open for fly fishing only above the mile 66 bridge but is closed below it with a chance potentially opening Early November or by November 15.

Camping stoltz pool would be your best bet when the river eventually does open.
Thanks for that I was going camping next week any other spots on the river for camping thanks

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Subject: FN1131-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 1 - Cowichan River - Non-retention Angling Opportunities - Effective immediately
Effective immediately, the no fishing order for the following portion of the Cowichan River is lifted, allowing for non-retention salmon fishing:
Cowichan River – from 66 Mile Trestle downstream to the white triangle boundary sign located in Sandy Pool Regional Park.
Variation Orders: 2020-RCT-599
Notes:
Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.
Anglers are further reminded that intentionally (willfully) foul-hooking fish or attempting to foul hook fish is illegal and that non-compliance may result in closure. (Foul hook is defined as: hooking a fish in any part of its body other than the mouth).
Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at 1-800-465-4336 or by email at DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.
For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at 1-866-431-FISH (3474).
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Erika Watkins, ECVI Recreational Fisheries Manager, Erika.Watkins@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Or contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office, or visit our website at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish
Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN1131
Sent October 20, 2020 at 11:07
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription
If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca

If you mean top as in road pool or little beach there was a sweeper you could get around without much issue in late sept but it is gone as of a few weeks ago.
Haven’t been down since mid October so idk otherwise.

So as of this morning, I suppose the river is high, rolling and chocolate coloured. When and if it comes down again...couple weeks???
When does the steelie run start, december 10-15th?

Just looking at hydrometrics I don’t think it’s out of control it certainly will have some colour but it should wash out enough in the next couple days if the rain is done now.

Salmon fishing should be good until the end of November then usually first steelhead are caught mid to late December.

I walked down Holt creek to the Cowichan last Saturday, good number of salmon in the lower pools (no fishing there obviously!!). The Cowichan itself was pretty high and fast, I imagine it's ripping pretty good right now. Glad to see the opening between Sandy Pool & Mile 66 though.. think I'll give it a week or two.

Do they normally only open that section? Mile 66 to Sandy. Always thought it was all downstream from 66.

In season openings are common in the last week of October or before november 15 depending on returns.

Pretty dynamic regulations the last few years on the cowichan I am disappointed it’s not open from 66 all the way to the silver bridge because most of my favourite spots are below sandy it seems this is becoming a constant reg it’s really too bad.

I was out on the upper fly section today it’s high but clear lots of salmon about.

Lots of folks out on the river yesterday. Saw about 20 - 30 between Sandy and Stolzes and including Stolzes. Good to see. The river was in great shape and height. Here's hoping that holds for steelhead season! Didn't see any coho caught or harvested, but heard of a couple. LOTS of chum in the river that make it hard to effectively target the coho from what I could see. Apparently there are catch cards available at Stolzes and Sandy that can be returned to either drop boxes or local tackle shops. Please do participate in that program - it really helps secure future and hopefully longer and larger openings.

Saw a decent Coho kept this past Sat, so there are definitely some around. Can also confirm there are lots of chum about and I also saw some quite large Chinooks +35lb I would guess.

Anyone know why the gate at vimy is still locked? It was open all summer to allow COVID space for people to get down on the River but they locked it back up when the river came back up. I assumed it would open when the rest of the river opened.

They did that last year in Feb when the river was really high.. But the river didn't get that high but people always want to get to close.. How is the pull out. It needs another load of gravel as most of it washed away. They dumped a load a few years back and it made a big difference in pulling a boat out.

Anyone have tips for a family fish right now with teens for shorefishing the Cowichan? Looking to find some trout, although steelhead are of interest to me. See it's fly fishing only above mile 70 (CNR Trestle). Is there a good pool we should start at that is a hike along the river? Not your favorite holes, maybe the touristy spots that everyone already knows? Don't yet know the river at all. Thanks.

Back