Cowichan River

Thanks fnatic. For chums I've been tying bait loops and just casting it with lead and jigging it. 90% are in the mouth and most legit biters, however there's to many chums to avoid the occasional snag. I agree with the coho. The lower river after the high tide is your best bet in the high water, but they still stage in different pools just in less numbers. They definatly do push up faster. I cast trophy tackle spinners for them.

I wonder if they make circle hooks as jigs and if so how they would work. Short floating I can see the circle hook sliding to the corner of the mouth as the salmon moves down.

I'm mending a cold
right now and hoping to get back at it here soon.Looks like the river's still blown out so I guess by the lack of content
on this thread there's not much happening out there right now.Here's some photos of some of the jigs I've had success on over the last couple of years.023.JPG 016.JPG 014.JPG jig photos nov.11,16 001.JPG jig photos nov.11,16 003.JPG

And Here's a couple Ijig photos nov.11,16 002.JPG jig photos nov.11,16 004.JPG want to try out next time out with a smaller profile wrapped in UV polar chennille and a marabou
tail.

Those look deadly, keep us upadated on results. And not so fast! I was up in Duncan today for other reasons so I stopped by in the lower river for 2 hours or so. The chums were no where near as aggressive as weeks passed, but we still had some good luck. Between me and my buddy I'd say we landed about 10 legit biters, and a couple more accidental snags and flosses. Highlights of the day were one big male I caught that hammered my pink woll and put up an unreal fight, and mustve easily been in the high teens, & then a chum that was nothing shy of a silver bullet that also hammered the wool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-11-21-55-05.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-11-21-55-05.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20161111_132132.jpg
    IMG_20161111_132132.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20161111_132259.jpg
    IMG_20161111_132259.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 139
A nice hatchery coho.
It was a chum and not hatchery (do they even mark hatchery chum?) as you can see the adipose in the 2nd picture. 1st pic the adipose was maybe in the water. Dont see many silver chum like that in mid november!

I hardly see em that chrome at all! And interestingly enough I caught a 'hatchery' (fin was clipped) chum in the puntledge this October. Kinda hard to see from the picture but was fin clipped and made great Indian candy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-12-22-18-33.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-12-22-18-33.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
Gave it a try today after a week off sick.Definately slower,but still worth the effort.7 legit bitters landed and as many lost in about a 5 hr. period this morning.Played musical jigs with the fish today and could only get 2 takers on the same jig once in the whole trip.Did get one dime bright hen about 12 lbs. that was just beautiful and gladly set her free after a great battle.Don't care for the chum much for eating and still have springs in the freezer vacuum packed from last fall
to smoke yet.Back out in the morning for another go.

Me and a buddy pounded it today with little action all day.Tried everything in the box with no takers.Very few fresh fish right now with the natives netting at Black Bridge.Hopefully some more move up overnight and want to play in the morning.

Tried the river all day today searching for coho. Fished all over from the pumphouse skutz. It was pretty slow, in the lower portion of the river I landed 3 chums that all bit the spinner. 2 of which were bright silver and one was a dark male. My partner lost a few fish we never saw and then also got into a bright chrome 10lb coho at the end of the day on a twitch jig. Looking like Sunday will be my last day on the flow for a few weeks until steelys..

Good for you b51.I've not been down there for a few days now as the water's pushing 2 meters.I'll give it another try here soon if the rain quits and the water receeds a bit.Good to hear there's still fresh coho entering the system.

There's a picture on there Facebook page of it at the S Bend. I'm surprised it made it that far and yes taking on water.. It's aluminum and should take a pounding.. Hope they get it back in one piece.

Back