Cowichan River

Those vids are pretty good,OSF.The river's at 2.25 meters tonight and more rain coming so that's the end of the salmon
this year.Just hoping it doesn't blow out too bad and damage their redds.Too much rain this fall already.

I was going to head up from victoria early friday morning. Maybe aim to do some trout/late salmon fishing. Does anyone know of some access points for shore fishing that wont be affected by the higher water?
Cheers

When I was up on Monday the water level was about 1.35 metres. Right now it is about 2.55 metres. In old math that's an increase of almost four feet in 48 hours. That is a pretty wicked rise. Personally I wouldn't even bother making a trip up with conditions like that -- and I really can't think of anywhere that won't be affected by an increase like that. Take care if you do go.

1.3 near Duncan is what I consider high fishable. Now it's 2.65! That's dangerously high. Personally I'd find a lake. If you have a boat go troll a plug around the Cowichan Lk. Creek mouths.

Was around cowichan today, river mouths blown out and dirty, shaw/ nixon / little shaw. Big mud trails flowing into lake.

1.3 near Duncan is what I consider high fishable. Now it's 2.65! That's dangerously high. Personally I'd find a lake. If you have a boat go troll a plug around the Cowichan Lk. Creek mouths.

Yep,1.3 is pretty much it for the lower portion below Vimy.There is a few spots that are fishable to 1.5-1.6 or so,but
not many and you'd have to cover alot of ground in a day.it'll take 2 weeks for the river to recover from this recent
dump of rain if it would just frickin' stop!!

Hmm.. that is quite upsetting! Sadly we do not have access to a boat so we were depending on finding decent shore fishing spots. I wouldnt suppose any of you guys were planning on spending friday out on a boat and willing to bring along 3 guys eh? ;)
Willhave to take a look around, maybe san juan hasnt been hammered so hard.

The San Juan system will have been hammered just as hard, probably harder, but also recovers a lot faster. Nothing much left on those hills to hold water back.

Try the Quamichan lake thread,roe if allowed, off moose dock at dusk.should find what your looking for there.

This high water is a blessing.. For those with a short memory last Dec and early January there was low water.. A certain group set-up there nets and wiped out the early run of Steelhead.. So now those nets can not go up and fish get up river.. Plus the seals won't get there share in the estuary.. As for salmon who knows..

This high water is a blessing.. For those with a short memory last Dec and early January there was low water.. A certain group set-up there nets and wiped out the early run of Steelhead.. So now those nets can not go up and fish get up river.. Plus the seals won't get there share in the estuary.. As for salmon who knows..

Good point,FnS.Their certainly wont be any nets going up on the river for quite a while.Just hope the salmon redds don;t take a **** kickin' after what was one of the better years for returns the Cowi's seen in a long time.

Yes I remember!:mad:

The river's at 1.95 meters as of tonight,maybe 1 ft. visability, and pretty much blown right out.I watch the graph regularly and without any
rain it'll drop .1 meters or 4" a day on average.I bank fish,and won't usually bother trying it until it's around 1.3 meters but
If you have access to a drift boat,you could fish higher flow than I do.With more rain forecast for the next couple of days,I can't see myself wetting a line until the new year. Just my humble opinion.

The river went from super flood to just flood stage. It would be nice to see some cooler weather, and some snow pack up in the hills.

Anyone know if the status of access to Bible Camp has change since the salmon season?
Is it still no access for fisherman?

Thanks,

Anyone know if the status of access to Bible Camp has change since the salmon season?
Is it still no access for fisherman?

Thanks,

I heard it is $35 for a season pass plus sign in sheet each time.
With the big flood there may not be any decent water at the bible camp this year.

Sounds like some sort of parking permit not a seasons pass at the bible camp. The fellow wants to keep it open but idiots keep messing things up. Two nights ago some clown came onto the property and did a few doughnuts on the grass. Best to go and check with the owner when you go in.

Back