Cowichan River

I'd talk to Nelson at Outfitters he's been on the fish lately and you gotta be up REAL early to beat that guy down the river...

I'd talk to Nelson at Outfitters he's been on the fish lately and you gotta be up REAL early to beat that guy down the river...

I was, but the fishing was dead until an hour after sunrise. 6 landed today and a couple lost. All little. Biggest maybe 6 lbs and unlike yesterday not much scrap to them either, except for one. One was clipped. Manages to stay away from the chums for the most part by interrupting my swing before the hang down. No disrespect for chums, but at their present zombie state they are chore to drag in.

Good to see some families out enjoying the beautiful day. One drift boat went past with a black sheep in the back.

Hit it this morning with a buddy.Both got our 1 fish each with both being around 7 lbs.He got his on a #5 blue/silver
Blue Fox.I tried an orange corkie under a float and got two with that setup.First fish was an easy 10+ lbs. but fairly
red so let that one go_Other than a few zombie chums that was it for a 5 hr. fish.Nothing like last year,that's for sure
but a nice day to be on the river other than the temperature in the morning.

Picked up a beauty 10 lb. chromer yesterday on a brass colorado under a float.This one was
dime bright and couldn't have been in the system for long.Also heard from a native buddy
that they're still coho in the bay.Just hope it doesn't **** rain and blow it out again.Just a
few more fish for the cans and I'm set for another year.

Managed another ocean bright 12 lber. today in the pissin' rain.Caught and released two others earlier
that were fairly red,one that would have went 15+.Hoping this rain lets up soon.Need 3-4
more for the jars and i'm done for the year.Smooth copper colorado's were the ticket today.

Most guys getting fish today. Mostly one or two but those early risers, first to the meat holes are doing well. More coloured fish and the water's a little lower than last weekend, despite the rain. I caught one bright coho, lost one and my highlight of the day was a ~5 lb Rainbow. Chums are thinning out nicely.

Managed a couple more today.One small 5-6 lbs. fairly red so released carefully back.Fished
hard for a couple more hours,covering lots of ground.Felt like I was steelheading or
something!Finally got rewarded with a nice 8-9 lb. chromer at the end of the day.2 or 3
more and I'll have enough for the jars.

When i was a teen i used to show up on the cowie about this time of year with a shot gun south slopes of skutz ,bribe the native with a mikee of jack to use net and spear , and get my buck worth .

When i was a teen i used to show up on the cowie about this time of year with a shot gun south slopes of skutz ,bribe the native with a mikee of jack to use net and spear , and get my buck worth .

when I was a kid I would watch the natives spear fish on the Cowichan too.
Never interested in bribing them for a fish though.
I don't know how old you are, but , I would not be proud of your negotiating or fishing skills from your last post.

Last edited by a moderator:
People are dreaming if they ever think cutback Christie and her gang will bring back a hatchery program on the Cowie or anywhere else for that matter.
They are looking to cut programs and services wherever possible, not start up new ones.

Back