Cowichan River

I wonder if a bank clean-up getting organized would mend fences so to speak... this really sucks, I really like fishing that area.

Not really this isn't new. Its not hard there...But as usually same idiots again. They park in the wrong area ( i guess cant read) ,and than wonder through camp and **** people off. The camp is accommodating but some people dont get it is private property. They are being nice to let anglers through. It will blow over. I expect next few weeks the gates will now be locked up, and then will go back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really this isn't new. Its not hard there...But as usually same idiots again. They park in the wrong area ( i guess cant read) ,and than wonder through camp and **** people off. The camp is accommodating but some people dont get it is private property. They are being nice to let anglers through. It will blow over. I expect next few weeks the gates will now be locked up, and then will go back to normal.

Bible camp was closed all last year, no gate but a big sign. Going to the river tomorrow to try and hit some coho.

I've only fished the Cowichan a few times and never from the Bible camp access -- for some reason I really don't feel comfortable traipsing through private property -- but I was actually thinking of giving it a try this year. I guess I won't be doing that. Still, I would make an effort to get up there from Victoria to help with a bank clean-up if someone can organize it, even if I never fish there. It wouldn't hurt to show that not all anglers are frikkin idiots.

I to have never taken access to private property for granted, especially when one has to pass near occupied buildings etc. Too many times I've seen places where we've not be denied access, or at least nothing has been said ruined by a few self entitled meat heads. Usually it starts as a subtle trail, known by few, but eventually someone gets the idea that they can cut the 5 min walk and get their 4x4 in there, and so on, and so on . . . . and then someone gets PO'd.

Easy access often equals slobs and mess.

C

I to have never taken access to private property for granted, especially when one has to pass near occupied buildings etc. Too many times I've seen places where we've not be denied access, or at least nothing has been said ruined by a few self entitled meat heads. Usually it starts as a subtle trail, known by few, but eventually someone gets the idea that they can cut the 5 min walk and get their 4x4 in there, and so on, and so on . . . . and then someone gets PO'd.

Easy access often equals slobs and mess.

Ok I must have been thinking of 2012, never the less it's been closed more than I like. This years no different I guess. You can walk into it without going through the gate , but are still gonna have to walk through the camp.

second that.....it wasnt

Was out yesterday around Stoltz, it's still running high and fast. A few other anglers about but no hook ups on coho that I saw. I got into a huge chum and he took off into the rapids, I snapped him off a couple hundred feet down stream. The creeks at the north end of Lake Cowichan are super high near the lake. Only saw one coho in the creek.

Technically, those that fished below the Mile 66 trestle before Nov. 6, when the Provincial jurisdiction opened it were in contravention of the law. Some might think that's funny, but be careful. The a lack of coordination between the feds and the province is at fault, but it is still up to us to know the rules of the day.

Technically, those that fished below the Mile 66 trestle before Nov. 6, when the Provincial jurisdiction opened it were in contravention of the law. Some might think that's funny, but be careful. The a lack of coordination between the feds and the province is at fault, but it is still up to us to know the rules of the day.

Better arrest everybody and put them in prison. LOLOL Holy cow taking it way off context. On to other news...Its still over 1.5 so by weekend it should get lower...

I am kind of concerned with the fast flows....Seems to take forever to get river to settle down more so this year.....

Better arrest everybody and put them in prison. LOLOL Holy cow taking it way off context. On to other news...Its still over 1.5 so by weekend it should get lower...

I am kind of concerned with the fast flows....Seems to take forever to get river to settle down more so this year.....

Off context? Read thread title.

LOL all you want SV. If a CO was to pull you over for fishing those few days, and wanted to, (especially due to attitude), he could surely wipe that grin of your face. He may not know or care what DFO is doing. I just posted that FYI. I didn't come up with the idea.;)

Off context? Read thread title.

LOL all you want SV. If a CO was to pull you over for fishing those few days, and wanted to, (especially due to attitude), he could surely wipe that grin of your face. He may not know or care what DFO is doing. I just posted that FYI. I didn't come up with the idea.;)

OK whatever man. DFO opened it so lets move on. Lets try to keep this thread positive. You want to scare people that's your thing. Kind of silly...just saying...

Just be sure to read the regulations everybody. DFO has jurisdiction on Salmon. The province has jurisdiction on the river and everything else that lives there. If you want to fish salmon BOTH sets of regulations have to be adhered to. Don't be scared.

As for the recent high water, I have had one report, of fish being caught. When the waters this high it's worth checking out side channels as the fish in the main stream are usually tight into, or in the flooded bushes.

This high? Side channels? In the bushes? What are you talking about the river is at 1.37 and on the drop, crystal clear and has been that way for days. Very fishable, almost perfect? Not sure where or who you get your info from, maybe same people that are scaring you off the river with the conflicting regulation changes......

This high? Side channels? In the bushes? What are you talking about the river is at 1.37 and on the drop, crystal clear and has been that way for days. Very fishable, almost perfect? Not sure where or who you get your info from, maybe same people that are scaring you off the river with the conflicting regulation changes......

Yah sorry bags was reading lake cow entrance...

I was down at Vimy today for a few hours giving it a whirl wasn't stellar. Lots of rotting chums no coho..... Hooked into a few brute Chum...

Cool for fishing. It's dropped since last weekend. Hopefully it doesn't go too low. One sure has to learn to adapt to changing conditions here on the Island. Cowichan is actually one of the more stable ones.
Wasn't too long after this date last year (last weekend of Nov.) I hooked into my first steelhead of the winter. You never know.

Wasn't too long after this date last year (last weekend of Nov.) I hooked into my first steelhead of the winter. You never know.

i-have-the-weirdest-boner-right-now.jpg

Coho fishing was good, though smaller fish, nothing over ~8#. All bright! Also caught a Mars Bar Spring and several Appaloosa Chums . . . . . too cold for any kind of boner. Blue bead head neals and egg patterns. Water on the higher side of good.

Thanks for the report,eroyd.Think I'll give it another go tomorrow down in the lower end to see if it's improved since
last week.Will follow with a report.

Back