Cowichan River

WHO's saying the cowichan is a secret????? Here's a scenario for ya.... make a few post your slayin them at kitty and watch all the boats from campbell river come down and everyone fish one little hump in the middle of the georgia straight. Even OBMG
boats come all the way down. In 16' open tiller boats.... Now that's just insane!!!! I'm all for fish ****.... but this is past my "safe" word

Splitshot, you should lobby the closure of the internet. Your hole will be saved.

Also, Im pretty sure why the stamp has Federal funding for hatch steel, is because of the guides. The goverment will spend nothing if the cant see any economic value. You want the hatchery program back? Show value in the system. AKA make a river that has PEOPLE on it.

Charma is not a word.
Not trying to pick another fisht with you lorne but the hatchery on the Stamp came before the guiding ever started. Bruce Thompson was the first to set up shop because the hatchery enhancement gave promise to the future. Got some good news for you though. The MOE internaly hates guiding here and the Stamp hatchery program will probably be eliminated soon.

Not trying to pick another fisht with you lorne but the hatchery on the Stamp came before the guiding ever started. Bruce Thompson was the first to set up shop because the hatchery enhancement gave promise to the future. Got some good news for you though. The MOE internaly hates guiding here and the Stamp hatchery program will probably be eliminated soon.

True, I never said it was started beause of the guides, but was probably kept going because of them. Guides are an important part of getting the government to spend money on our waters IMO. Its obvious that they dont give a **** about the rec guys. IF it wsant for you guys we probably wouldnt have any goverment funding.

Lorne

Actually Lorne present moe staff would probably discontinue the guide lisences if they legaly could. I'll enlighten you on a bit of history for the Stamp. I'm not sure the first year of enhancement but the hatchery was operational but it was by1980. Bruce Thompson who didn't last more than a few years moved here from Campbell River because of the hatchery potential. David Murphy didn't come on to the scene till 1988. This was when the good ocean survival combined with young hatchery enhancement resulted in legendary returns. The guiding industry was attracted to the stream because of the bonanza of fish.
Since then there has been major enhancement cut backs. the Funding has come largly from Federal dollars and just keep getting decreased more every year. The truth of our MOE management practices reveales opposite of what you just explained. The internal prejudice to the Stamp guides is reflected in the management tecniques. As of the last twelve or so years MOE has moved the hatchery fish up the river to the rifle range area to get them farther up the river and away from the guide boats. Jets never used to go up the bucket untill it came apparent that the bulk of the fish started holding at the falls area. Once they did start going up there that's when MOE tried to f#$%k the guides by corruptly introducing a regulation of "no fishing from boats" above the bucket. The last thing MOE wanted was for guide boats to have a good day. In this process of anti guide management MOE has done more harm than good. Moving the hatchery smolts up the river caused a competition issue with the larger smolts taking up resedence in the upper areas of the river. At one time MOE explained that one of the many stocking reductions was because the hatchery fish were not being harvested. Then they put a bait ban above the bucket, where most of the stocked fish live, to what, encourage hatchery harvest??? Nowadays a high % of the hatchery fish migrate to above the Ash river. This area is closed to angling all winter even though four out of five fish are hatcher plants. Thats right tax dollars have raised fish and MOE closes the area that they swim to in this river. Have you ever tried to fish the upper Stamp river? The place to launce is behind the hatchery gate which is close by 3:30. not very convient for any fishers.
I agree with you that economic worth is a good thing to have and will be the only reason to protect fish in all rivers of B.C.. Just wanted to enlighten you on the realities of MOE management. When you claim they support the guiding here more than the average rec fisher you could not be any farther from the truth.

I can't make sense of the rule where you can't use bait above the bucket.... What is the reasoning? Why cut it off there instead of the falls pool or even the upper boundary?

I can't make sense of the rule where you can't use bait above the bucket.... What is the reasoning? Why cut it off there instead of the falls pool or even the upper boundary?
MOE claims it is to protect wild steelhead but we all know that all it does is keep anglers away from the hatchery fish.

Fair enough ken. So how or what do we do to persuade the government to reinstall the hatchery program at the Cowie. And jeep it going at the stamp?

Fair enough ken. So how or what do we do to persuade the government to reinstall the hatchery program at the Cowie. And jeep it going at the stamp?

its done, you're not going to get it going anytime in the near future - as such you should treat the river as a wild river and one that is not doing all that great. Post reports but maybe think about leaving the exact locations out of your posts.

Actually Lorne present moe staff would probably discontinue the guide lisences if they legaly could. I'll enlighten you on a bit of history for the Stamp. I'm not sure the first year of enhancement but the hatchery was operational but it was by1980. Bruce Thompson who didn't last more than a few years moved here from Campbell River because of the hatchery potential. David Murphy didn't come on to the scene till 1988. This was when the good ocean survival combined with young hatchery enhancement resulted in legendary returns. The guiding industry was attracted to the stream because of the bonanza of fish.
Since then there has been major enhancement cut backs. the Funding has come largly from Federal dollars and just keep getting decreased more every year. The truth of our MOE management practices reveales opposite of what you just explained. The internal prejudice to the Stamp guides is reflected in the management tecniques. As of the last twelve or so years MOE has moved the hatchery fish up the river to the rifle range area to get them farther up the river and away from the guide boats. Jets never used to go up the bucket untill it came apparent that the bulk of the fish started holding at the falls area. Once they did start going up there that's when MOE tried to f#$%k the guides by corruptly introducing a regulation of "no fishing from boats" above the bucket. The last thing MOE wanted was for guide boats to have a good day. In this process of anti guide management MOE has done more harm than good. Moving the hatchery smolts up the river caused a competition issue with the larger smolts taking up resedence in the upper areas of the river. At one time MOE explained that one of the many stocking reductions was because the hatchery fish were not being harvested. Then they put a bait ban above the bucket, where most of the stocked fish live, to what, encourage hatchery harvest??? Nowadays a high % of the hatchery fish migrate to above the Ash river. This area is closed to angling all winter even though four out of five fish are hatcher plants. Thats right tax dollars have raised fish and MOE closes the area that they swim to in this river. Have you ever tried to fish the upper Stamp river? The place to launce is behind the hatchery gate which is close by 3:30. not very convient for any fishers.
I agree with you that economic worth is a good thing to have and will be the only reason to protect fish in all rivers of B.C.. Just wanted to enlighten you on the realities of MOE management. When you claim they support the guiding here more than the average rec fisher you could not be any farther from the truth.

Wow - those are some interesting conspiracy theories, Fishmyster. Do you think it's possible that the regulations were actually introduced to provide more of an inclusive fishery for the other parties involved (ie. bank anglers)? IMO the "no fishing from boats" reg was a great idea. Nothing like bushwacking into a spot and having a fat guy in a jet boat hover and pound the ONLY bank accessible spot!

Fishing has nothing to do with fluctuation of the fish populations in the Cow or any river for that mater. Hell it's catch and release fishing. Habitat, predation and climate are the real factors to effect fish propogation and habitat loss is the only factor that we could have potential to influence. All the catch and release fishing in this world will never cause any damage to s/h stocks. Reality is that because big industry trumps the environment regulating anglers is all MOE can do. That's what is happening to us. Nowadays it seems to be just fine to errect a IPP project and kill 80% or more of all life in a stream but god forbid you catch and release a wild steelhead on a piece of natural bait now a that's criminal offense! whtfk
There is no need for any closures anywhere because it would do nothing to save fish long term or change the present environmental issues. If the present MOE staff really cared for the fish they would be opening rivers all over to encourage as much angler participation as possible. The profit from angler usage could be used to lobby higher powers to protecting our environment.
How do you reinstate hatchery programs? I don't think this is going to happen. Our tax dollars are going to be needed for helth care and pensions before public leasure activities. It doesn't look good.
I sudgest everybody hurry up, get out there. Enjoy those fish before they are all gone or deemed too precious for the public to fish for.

I think you and onefish should fish together.
Wow - those are some interesting conspiracy theories, Fishmyster. Do you think it's possible that the regulations were actually introduced to provide more of an inclusive fishery for the other parties involved (ie. bank anglers)? IMO the "no fishing from boats" reg was a great idea. Nothing like bushwacking into a spot and having a fat guy in a jet boat hover and pound the ONLY bank accessible spot!

Hhmm Steelhead in the Cowi for about 4-5 months really, thanks for the tip!

Most All know the main popular rivers, spots, and season. Only if you are new, you don’t!

So my take on all this is, he’s just like the paparazzi, trying to make more out of nothing, trying to get some credibility, some promotion, he’s a poor excuse for people who don’t really know about steelheading!

Yes, I said that because he hasn’t done anything that we don’t know, hasn’t posted any really great pic’s, trying so hard to be the man, just put all of that in your blog… (funny how that doesn’t go back many years too) hahaha and if that is your only way to try and get business, good luck with that!

If you are out there, you will learn and I’m sure he will over years and time. He was a Falls pool bankie and then bought a raft, now’s he’s a guide, nice for him, but a newbie guide learning and I know first hand he has lots to learn.

He’s not stopping any regular top rod, he’s not taking any other real guide company clients, in fact we catch more fishing behind him!

He just a little shot trying so hard to be a big shot, simple.

He wasn’t around last year (so he is New to the Cowi, as we are regulars and see him when he is) and all this new hype he’s trying to bring does Nothing for steelhead!! As they have been around way before and I’m sure way after…. He is not the answer!

He’s attitude is a joke but some like it and as for the **** he starts on here is only matched by the few who support him. I know lots who don’t even have the time or care to help this guy, so sad as there really is some very knowledgeable experienced fishers out there who should all get together regardless of their method, and be a power group.

Hell, probably it’s him being all the other characters or a few buddies standing up for him in “make believe” internet land. Lots of wannabe fishing seems to go on here….

To All the Real Steelheaders, Keep exploring, Keep working your water, Keep your lines tight And Keep your mouths shut! J

LOL..... hilarious! :D

Was fishing stolz area on sunday and the campground parks guy said there was some guys with a net across the river. Authorities were informed.

:mad:
I've heard about the nets before... I find that so un f*#@king believable...
Its anyones guess how many these nets kill, how often they put them out....

Was fishing stolz area on sunday and the campground parks guy said there was some guys with a net across the river. Authorities were informed.

Probably was reading online there was fresh chrome in the river...lol
Great Posts!

Touche...... :D

Back