Cowichan River

Nice work! Good to see there's some fish coming out. I miss fishing it. And good to hear there's more people fishing it. Anything to raise the profile. If enough people get interested, maybe gvmt will start to take a little interest in it again.

"Here we go again" I wonder why? If you don't want any negative talk then don't post useless info. If somebody needs a fishing report I'm sure they would call a friend for an updated report. Lots of kelts is more like it. The river should be closed from Mid March on, to protect spawning fish and kelts heading back down to the ocean. Split shot's got it right keep it to yourself. I wonder why the Cowichan is one of the only rivers on the island that does not close in order to protect steelhead, especially since there is no hatchery program. Even the Stamp and the Vedder have closed sections, the Stamps run this year is about 80-90% hatchery. Steelhead anglers need to know when to stop fishing, by harassing spawners there is only negative damage being done. Not much fun hooking and reeling in a head shaking kelt that is so tired it can barely swim away.

Nice work! Good to see there's some fish coming out. I miss fishing it. And good to hear there's more people fishing it. Anything to raise the profile. If enough people get interested, maybe gvmt will start to take a little interest in it again.

Agreed! Nice fish Ian!

Agreed! Nice fish Ian!

Thanks LP and S2, still isn't very busy on the water tho, saw maybe 20 anglers total yesterday (saturday) in 15kms of river. Haven't seen many kelts the last few times out, lots of clean chromers though. Here's another one we landed, as you can see its as clean as they can get:
Chromer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
funny I walk and wade maybe only 1/2 a km in the middle section and saw quite a few kelts in the last week.... I've been low holed everytime I've been out lately.....I guess that's the way it goes... it's such a beutiful river....

Awesome fish, -steelhead-! Keep your reports coming please! Love reading them and hope to be part of them too soon again!

I dont think its jealousy i think its guys who care about steelhead. There is the odd fresh fish around, mostly darkies and kelts though. I heard of a guy that hooked seven fish the other day and they were all kelts. So i dont think this is the time of year to hipe up or promote the cowie. Mabe the rambler should post his stats on his own site for all his followers to see. I think the local cowichan fisherman have had enough of the rambling fisherman for one year!

I would love to agree with people that said there are nothing but Kelts in the river... but then that wouldn't be true. Also, March is 'the' month to fish for fresh Steel in the Cow that is no secret.
IMG_1964.jpg

nice spam - the guys are right this isn't the time of year to be promoting fishing the river, if you don't understand that you don't understand steelhead.

yup good point guys! drifted a couple times lately, to many kelts . not very many fresh fish, not a time to be booking steelhead charters .

Not trying to be a dick, At the end of last year you posted "the bible camp was hot for chome this year" as for a couple other know holes. This year the pools you named are packed. If you post on a Saturday fishing was hot, Sunday would be a gongshow. All Im saying is leave a little bit of info for those just learning to find out. Sure we had a couple decent years for steel but doesnt mean it will last, and still isnt what it was like 15+ years ago. There is enough ways online to learn tips we had to figure out ourselfs without the ******* internet. Seriously If you loved fishing you would know when to leave a recovering river a little slack. Seriously I cant wrap my head around this, why do you post you know the cowie is a river in need so why promote it. Again all your teaching is people to fish a beat up river. I hope people see the winner you are, and charma gets you in the butt!!

Classic losers! If you are so concerned about a river why do YOU fish it? Want it for yourself, eh? Very credible arguments from someone who opens up a new account with every post! Just get lost and watch WFN so that you can see a fish for yourself. Other people enjoy the outdoors and catch real fish.

Classic losers! If you are so concerned about a river why do YOU fish it? Want it for yourself, eh? Very credible arguments from someone who opens up a new account with every post! Just get lost and watch WFN so that you can see a fish for yourself. Other people enjoy the outdoors and catch real fish.

R U Drunk?

Why have a thread about a river in the FIRST PLACE????? posting steelhead fish **** and naming the river!!! Why do that? Naming pools is even more crazy!!!! I have a question. Would you post the pools if you were just a walk and wader???? uncool for people that walk the river...imo. I'm just baffled to why this site has river reports.... people in the know, know what/where/when/how for fishing the rivers..... if not.... call someone. pm someone. go to a fishing store that know some info. read, and best of all explore.... this site is full of trolls... just my .02cents.

Not trying to be a dick, At the end of last year you posted "the bible camp was hot for chome this year" as for a couple other know holes. This year the pools you named are packed. If you post on a Saturday fishing was hot, Sunday would be a gongshow. All Im saying is leave a little bit of info for those just learning to find out. Sure we had a couple decent years for steel but doesnt mean it will last, and still isnt what it was like 15+ years ago. There is enough ways online to learn tips we had to figure out ourselfs without the ******* internet. Seriously If you loved fishing you would know when to leave a recovering river a little slack. Seriously I cant wrap my head around this, why do you post you know the cowie is a river in need so why promote it. Again all your teaching is people to fish a beat up river. I hope people see the winner you are, and charma gets you in the butt!!

Splitshot, you should lobby the closure of the internet. Your hole will be saved.

Also, Im pretty sure why the stamp has Federal funding for hatch steel, is because of the guides. The goverment will spend nothing if the cant see any economic value. You want the hatchery program back? Show value in the system. AKA make a river that has PEOPLE on it.

Charma is not a word.

Yes, the Cowichan and Stamp and Vedder are secrets ;-) let's not share any information about them on the Internet. We just need to find a way to purge the hundreds of magazine articles and dozens of books out there that give up their honey holes. Geez Louise.

Back