Cowichan River

Absoloutely correct wth the fish holding in quite shallow water under murky conditions Highlights. I have one funny memory of fishing the old island pool above bible camp (back in the days when you get across the river there) and patiently waiting for a group of 4 "newcomers to the sport" to leave the pool. They had waded almost to the top of their waders, and were busy casting into the frothy white stuff. After about 20 mins of watching this show, I figured what the heck and put in a drift in between them and the shore. You know what happened next - a 12 lb buck nails my roe and ends up screaming in between two of these guys. They graciously got out of the way, after I landed the fish we laughed and I explained to them the folly of their ways. They were grateful for the lesson and I moved upriver.

Too much fun!

Gooey

Absoloutely correct wth the fish holding in quite shallow water under murky conditions Highlights. I have one funny memory of fishing the old island pool above bible camp (back in the days when you get across the river there) and patiently waiting for a group of 4 "newcomers to the sport" to leave the pool. They had waded almost to the top of their waders, and were busy casting into the frothy white stuff. After about 20 mins of watching this show, I figured what the heck and put in a drift in between them and the shore. You know what happened next - a 12 lb buck nails my roe and ends up screaming in between two of these guys. They graciously got out of the way, after I landed the fish we laughed and I explained to them the folly of their ways. They were grateful for the lesson and I moved upriver.

Too much fun!

Gooey

It's hard keeping up with the changes that occur every year on that river. Just when you get dialed in , it seems a beautiful stretch of holding water gets removed by erosion. It seems more and more good water is dissapearing yet not necessarily being replaced with anything new. Wider and shallower in most cases seem to be the norm over the past several years. What once made that river challenging by always having to re-learn the river and it's new holds is becoming almost a drag with once memorable spots becoming totally extinct.

The stamp for example never changes it seems.The same spots will hold the fish year after year after year. Once you learn it, you will always find fish ( yet it will never compare to the complexities and excitement of the Cowichan)

It's hard keeping up with the changes that occur every year on that river. Just when you get dialed in , it seems a beautiful stretch of holding water gets removed by erosion. It seems more and more good water is dissapearing yet not necessarily being replaced with anything new. Wider and shallower in most cases seem to be the norm over the past several years. What once made that river challenging by always having to re-learn the river and it's new holds is becoming almost a drag with once memorable spots becoming totally extinct.

The stamp for example never changes it seems.The same spots will hold the fish year after year after year. Once you learn it, you will always find fish ( yet it will never compare to the complexities and excitement of the Cowichan)

LOL, Jag and Ronnie.Those guys still around?

A favourite of many of the old crew! Long live the stories of the fabled "log jam" That was sweet water. You could set yourself up for the entire day. Start at the stump run, work your way through to the main jam down to the couch and down around to the elbow. Damn good times and tons of fish. Aaaahhh those march/april evenings at the log jam.
[|)]

LOL, Jag and Ronnie.Those guys still around?

A favourite of many of the old crew! Long live the stories of the fabled "log jam" That was sweet water. You could set yourself up for the entire day. Start at the stump run, work your way through to the main jam down to the couch and down around to the elbow. Damn good times and tons of fish. Aaaahhh those march/april evenings at the log jam.
[|)]

Wern't they part of the chinese posse!? All very much still around, confirm. Mamma and lights sure use to cream'em out of that log jam boy!! If I hear another story from Mammas glory days in that run..... Mamma is thinking of coming out of retirement next weekend, are you in H/L? I'll leave that funny stuff in my backpack at home this time, I promise. Age is a good thing,lol.

Wern't they part of the chinese posse!? All very much still around, confirm. Mamma and lights sure use to cream'em out of that log jam boy!! If I hear another story from Mammas glory days in that run..... Mamma is thinking of coming out of retirement next weekend, are you in H/L? I'll leave that funny stuff in my backpack at home this time, I promise. Age is a good thing,lol.

LOL, Luna , I'm as much up for that stuff as anyone, but you know how it goes.............:D

Saw your better half at Costco the other day. Didn't get a chance to say hi though. Everyone was busy closing the last minute deals Christmas eve.

You thinking of a walk in?????? I'm up for it. There are a few fish that I know of.

Give me a shout.

HL

LOL, Luna , I'm as much up for that stuff as anyone, but you know how it goes.............:D

Saw your better half at Costco the other day. Didn't get a chance to say hi though. Everyone was busy closing the last minute deals Christmas eve.

You thinking of a walk in?????? I'm up for it. There are a few fish that I know of.

Give me a shout.

HL

Yes HL lots of changes over the years, but the fish have to hold somewhere. Years ago Barking dog was not much, now its a must stop. :D

Yes HL lots of changes over the years, but the fish have to hold somewhere. Years ago Barking dog was not much, now its a must stop. :D

definitely!

I hooked three for three out of there first time out in a while last year. Still great looking water in there. Actually even better than it has ever been.Shallower than it has ever been but a definite troph that fish seem to always hold in before they head up and around the corner.

The dogs seem harmless enough. They have been barking for years yet I have never had a problem with them. With that said I always have the bear spray by my side.

definitely!

I hooked three for three out of there first time out in a while last year. Still great looking water in there. Actually even better than it has ever been.Shallower than it has ever been but a definite troph that fish seem to always hold in before they head up and around the corner.

The dogs seem harmless enough. They have been barking for years yet I have never had a problem with them. With that said I always have the bear spray by my side.

Back