Cowichan River

Wow, this is an ammusing thread.

Have to say though, once you go to a bag , it's hard to ever go back.

I remember throwing nothing but a tiny corkies and spin'n glows at those Cowichan slabs. We'd nail em too. Momma and I would hit a dozen easily at the old logjam in a day. Damn good times.

Fewer fish and a tight little bag under some wool makes those steelies compelled to slam .

.....but , I never [:0] use roe . Seriously;)

LOLOLOL

HL

Common Lights!!!!;) U and Mama at the Cafe......We seen u guys in the mag!!;):D BIG TIME!!!!

Pass the Pack

Remember Crofton Dyed Nitinat chinook roe? How 'bout BIG shrimp ring shrimp later in the season? Lethal!!! Those sure were the days.

Oh yeah, and funnily enough I don't remember hitting any more trout then than I do now. And I also don't recall any more bleeders. Maybe that's becuse I fly fish a lot more now?

Back in those days you could also exchange a meaningful glance in Thrifty's, Superstore, or the Red Lion to the guys you saw who also had bright pink hands;)

So sad to see it go. Curing really good bait will soon become a lost art on the Island.

Here's to a good year on the Cowie. If I'm lucky enough, it'll be my 20th season in a row chasing, and catching, Cowichan Steel. Love it!!!

Gooey (used to be, anyway :))

Ahh yes, those were the days. Boraxo ( mule brand ) Rocket red Pro Cure and eggs collected throughout the summer. Singles for bags. Chunks thrown directly in the borax and frozen and of course the bottles of jam.:D

Just Do It L/C.. This guy is a real piece of work, he definately does not deserve to be on the site.. Thanx:DDirty

Wow [:0]
My friends told me about this and how bad it was Normally dont visit this site for this reason

I got a suggestion here :)

Why dont all you guys that are complaining, use your energy and time and focus on doing something good for our steelhead stocks.
Forget who is doing what on a river and how they are fishing cause there will always be someone not playing by the rules but let the CO's deal with that
My suggestion is take your time and energy and try to rebuild our steelhead stocks and do something good with your time. We are losing our steelhead stocks all over BC faster than you are probably aware of. Instead of complaining about the guy fishng bait go write a letter to your MLA or MP and tell them you want the cowichan Hatchery program back for steelhead. This will create jobs and $$ for Duncan
It would probably take about as much time as it did you for all of you to post on here.
OH and if you wanna know yes I do focus my time on changing our fishing for the better by being a member of a few boards that are helping to restore Salmon Stocks including steelhead Hoping one day my time will create better fishing for me and my friends.
When I read this I wonder why I would want to help some of you enjoy a resource when obviously you dont care to make it better your self
:(

Yeah.....and then we could fish roe again:D

LOL

Obviously a joke..... but,

My letters have and will always continue to our faithful leaders.

Perfect,now back to fishing....still hitting lots of red coho, havent seen anyone on any steel yet......trying but still no show.....

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

x2

A 12 foot tinny is simply not adequate for the Cowichan, especially at this tme of year. People have drowned on this river by being either poorly equipped, or not experienced enough to handle the water.

Even if you own a drift boat do yourself a favor - book a trip with a guide, or go with a friend who has experience on the river before you attempt your first drift.

Gooey.

downstream of sandy pool above the picnic pool there is a large log right across river. beware.... I will post when i hear of any changes
gord.

Gord

You can walk to the picnic pool from the gun club. Probably about a 45 min. walk. There used to be a sign on a tree that says "picnic grounds pool". There's a side channel that sometimes can look real fishy!!!

Hey Gord is the log across the main flow as the river splits where there are some large falls in the middle. Im guessing you walked in or have you heard of somebody drifting. Thanks:D

Falls? Only falls on the Cowi, are Skutz. You must mean rapids. It splits right above Holt creek. The area that is being mentioned is above this I believe.

quote:Originally posted by steeliehead

Falls? Only falls on the Cowi, are Skutz. You must mean rapids. It splits right above Holt creek. The area that is being mentioned is above this I believe.

It's not far below Sandy pool. The log is impassible at this point. It crosses the whole river-It's a very large cottonwood.

Back