Cowichan River Counting Fence

adrianna3

Has anyone heard any numbers from the counting fence lately? I've been curious since it was installed this year. The water level in the river seems good this year, not too high, not too low. Just the right amount of water to get fish up quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Subject: Today's update from the Cowichan Chinook Fence

Hello everyone. Hope you're enjoying the fine fall rains we're having.

The counting fence is still fishing effectively, although with the water flows around 40 cms we're right on the edge. Any amount of leaf fall will clog things up so I hoping for warm nights.

The chinook movement had a small increase during the rise to 30 cms last week but have fallen off again. It's looking more likely than the run has come in early. Certainly at these flows there is no barriers or issues preventing migration so the fish are free to come in. The Cowichan River Hatchery achieved their target of 250 females by 2 October and have continued to fish, albeit in a limited form due to the water levels. They have picked up another 60-70 females to fill the capacity of the hatchery.

The coho counts have really picked up since last week but chum are yet to show in any numbers.

The DIDSON unit is being installed today in the river near the Cowichan River Hatchery so we'll be providing chum counts from that location.

So totals as of 0800, 11 October:

2260 chinook adults
1539 chinook jacks
3611 coho adults
552 coho jacks
9 chum
946 pink

Thanks Derby. Concearning about the pinks though. I was told they would never enter the Cowichan River.

Dave

Any updates there Derby? Perhaps you could point me in the direction of your info source and I could quit bugging you for the data.
Thanks.

Dave

Any updates there Derby? Perhaps you could point me in the direction of your info source and I could quit bugging you for the data.
Thanks.

Dave

Never a problem..... :)

Steve Baillie
A/Program Head, Georgia Basin Salmon Stock Assessment,
South Coast Area, Fisheries and Oceans Canada
3225 Stephenson Point Road, Nanaimo BC, V9T 1K3
Ph (250) 756-7227 Fax (250) 756-7020 Cell (250) 616 6143

steve.baillie@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Preliminary final cowichan fence count.

Preliminary final fence count. Encouraging chinook numbers and potentially the highest coho count from the fence ever.

Preliminary final fence count:
2407 adult chinook
1584 jack chinook
10476 adult coho
903 jack coho
47 chum
968 pink/unknowns

IMO there should be a coho fishery for recreatiohnal anglers on the Cowichan right now.

CP

At almost 2500 Chinooks this year, it seems the downward spiral is stopped. A far cry from the record of 16,000 Chinook in the mid 90's but better than the 500-800 a few years ago.

But I'd argue about the coho fishery. Even if the numbers look healthy - the perception would not be good for us. We cried out loud that something needs to be done to save this river - we should not be the first back to business as ususal because the numbers look promising for one season. Let's push DFO hard for real measures and then wait for some long-term improvements before we go at her again - for salmon. Just my 2 cents.

IMO it would be entirely possible to create a Coho opportunity on the Cowichan while having virtually no impact on the chinook in the river. Not to get too far in to it but specific gear restrictions and river sections could all but guarantee no chinook were hooked by anglers targetting coho.

Further we would not be "first back to business because numbers look promising". First Nations have been actively targetting Chinook in the river in a spear and snag fishery every year since the recreational fishery was closed. The only concession being made to assist in the rebuilding of the run was to switch from fishing 7 days per week to 4 days per week and this concession was made only if the recreatonal fishery was closed. I'm not complaining about that - they are constitutionally guaranteed to be first in line for opportunity, but the fact is that this fishery is going on.

If DFO considers it OK to allow an undisclosed amount of targetted in-river mortality of chinook based on what is considered by many to be a "dirty" method of fishing (a chinook that has been speared has virtually no chance of survival if it drops off the spear or is considered too "dark" to keep and is "released" back in to the river), why can't recreational anglers take advantage of what is clearly a harvestable surplus of coho in a much "cleaner" fishery in terms of potential release survival, based on an almost non-exsitant need to ever release a chinook?

The river below 66 mile trestle does open to retention of Coho and Chum after Nov 15th using any gear type except bait. I'm just suggesting that there is really no sound biological or fishery management reason to keep the lower river closed right now. Further, I believe it is unfair to remove or deny opportunity based on "perception" and what really amounts to nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

Finally, I'm not suggesting that if the potential recovery of the Cowichan chinook run would be threatened in any meaningful way that any fishery should proceed. I just think we can have the best of both worlds (chinook recovery and coho opportunity) if we are willing to look at it objectively.

CP

Last edited by a moderator:
... why can't recreational anglers take advantage of what is clearly a harvestable surplus of coho in a much "cleaner" fishery in terms of potential release survival, based on an almost non-exsitant need to ever release a chinook?... CP

Why? Because we know better and want to do everything in our power to bring this river back!

...Further, I believe it is unfair to remove or deny opportunity based on "perception" and what really amounts to nothing more than smoke and mirrors....

CP

Even though you are probably absolutely right, it shows that you are very green in "this business"! There is seldom any logic in fisheries politics and perception can be everything! There are cohos somewhere else, this is not worth the risks it bears.

Finally, I'm not suggesting that if the potential recovery of the Cowichan chinook run would be threatened in any meaningful way that any fishery should proceed. I just think we can have the best of both worlds (chinook recovery and coho opportunity) if we are willing to look at it objectively.
CP

Again this is a noble thought but far ahead of its time. Right now no one is willing to look at things objectively. So we got to work with what we got and that is the opportunity to compel DFO to fix the Cowichan while laying down our salmon rods for a bit. Sorry, that's politics.

Not so, High Five. We used to catch fresh coho in January while steelhead fishing. Cowichan used to always get one very late run in.

Dave

Why? Because we know better and want to do everything in our power to bring this river back!

What do you "know better"? Please help me understand what I'm missing here? Do you believe that a lower river Coho fishery will have an impact on spawning chinook? I've been lead to beleive that the vast majority of Cjhinook spawn above Skutz. Is this incorrect? How is keeping the river closed for no reason going to "help being it back" (not too sure what that means) please elaborate.

Even though you are probably absolutely right, it shows that you are very green in "this business"! There is seldom any logic in fisheries politics and perception can be everything! There are cohos somewhere else, this is not worth the risks it bears.

Please don't confuse "green" with lacking cynicism. If we all cynically accepted the status quo, nothing would ever change. Are you a beauracrat? You sure sounded like one there. Of course politics and fishery management are intertwined but logic can and soemtimes does prevail. Its all about persistence. What "risk" does it "bear"? As stated, from what I understand, a lower river gear restricted coho fisher would pose virtually no risk to the Chinook run. Not too sure what you mean. Can you help educate me?

Again this is a noble thought but far ahead of its time. Right now no one is willing to look at things objectively. So we got to work with what we got and that is the opportunity to compel DFO to fix the Cowichan while laying down our salmon rods for a bit. Sorry, that's politics.

It appears to me that you clearly are not willing to look at things objectively, but folks I've talked to elsewhere certainly are. Not too sure how DFO is going to "fix" the Cowichan but I guess if we all lay down our rods, and the do something (what?) they'll get down to it. Hmmm...who'se being green now?

CP

I can remember a number of years back when fisheries opened fishing off Renfrew. Incidental catch of over 100,000 Coho. I think 3 coho retuned to Cowichan River that year. Nobody does it better than DOF.

Can someone explain the salmon regulations on the Cowichan River for me? I'm still pretty new to fishing and all the charts are just greek to me.

Cowichan river including tributaries and Cowichan lake. Apr 1 to Mar 31. No fishing for chinook. 1 coho per day, none over 35cm.
- My understanding is that this applies to the entire stretch of the Cowichan river. Chinook are off limits, but you can target 1 coho, is that correct?

Cowichan R. downstream from Skutz Falls to the Hwy 1 bridge (Silver Bridge). Coho and Chum to be determined.
Downstream of the weir on Cowichan Lake to 66 Mile Trestle. All species. Aug 01 - Nov 15. Fly fishing only.
66 Mile Trestle downstream to the Tidal Boundary. All species. Aug 01 - Nov 15. No fishing for salmon.

- Can someone tell me if I understand these last three correctly?
- From Skutz Falls to Hwy 1 bridge, Coho and Chum may or may not be open. If they are, then you can fish with gear and the retention limits may be the same or higher than the rest of the cowichan.
- From the weir on Cowichan Lake to 66 Mile Trestle, you can fly fish and retain one coho, less than 35cm. Chinook are still off limits. Or can you retain any salmon species in this section as long as you flyfish?
- From 66 Mile Trestle to the Tidal boundary, strictly no fishing for salmon. But can you target other types of fish? What else is in the Cowichan river and how would you target them?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Ok, so I took a look at the map and I'm even more confused then before.

So the last two regs that specifiy, the weir on Cowicahn Lake to 66 Mile Trestle and then from 66 Mile Trestle to the Tidal Boundary encompasses the entire stretch of the river is that correct?

So technically the section from Skutz Falls to Hwy 1 bridge potentially being open to Coho and Chum doesn't make any sense. Because the sub section from 66 Mile Trestle to the Hwy 1 bridge falls under the 66 Mile Trestle to Tidal Boundary stretch which does not allow salmon fishing.

So confused. :(

I've fished the Cowichan my whole life and there's one thing that really bugs me about the counter. There should be two! One near the tidal portion of the Cow and the one that is below White Bridge. That way there will be an actual accurate count. It would be really interesting to see how many adult Chinook aren't getting through the gauntlet. Especially on years where the run is early. I talked to a few FN guys that said they were spearing big springs in August. One guy even got one in July if you can believe that. The river had a fair bit more water in it this summer compared to years previous so this could explain the early run. Even with the higher water though......The Springs took a shitkicking down there!
The postion of the counter now IS a hell of alot better than the old spot just above the pumphouse but there should still be one on the lower section IMO.

Although the Coho runs looks to be recuperating I am in the opinion that it isn't strong enough yet to support a kill fishery. Kinda pointless to open it to retention in November anyhow. You get a bunch of guys playing several spawners half to death in the process of trying to catch one that is edible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the November 16th opening, I ve done the bank maggot fishery on 5 different occasions. The fishing has been phenomenal with an average of 6 fish to the beach per day. No I haven't been bonking them, but with the exception of 4 fish, they've been really clean. This hasn't been an unusual year.

We are used to low count numbers on this river because they always pull the counting fence out early. I think the belief is that "coho are real early spawners", or, "oh well we've got chinook numbers" and , best of all. "gawd but we don't want to loose the counting fence just to get an accurate count on coho".

Over the last 17 years, all my best coho fishing has been in November and December. I routinely still hit some clean coho in January.

Do any of us really believe thar DFO has a handle on numbers? Yes, at one time DFO had some of the best run monitoring skill sets available. But staff cuts , political expediency and Ottawa based management have led to Ouija Board forecasting. We've all seen the mismanagement. This is just the opposite side of the coin. No we don't need a big kill fishery, but this run is in better shape than DFO's numbers show.

Back