Cowichan Lake Boat Launch- Youbou

Tips Up

I will be staying in Youbou this weekend and taking either my 12ft tinny or my 17.5 Double Eagle.

Is there a public boat launch below the Youbou Pub?
If so is it ok for a 17ft boat?

Thanks

I launched my 16 foot welded aluminum there... and it has full size trailer tires.. so if I could do it you should be OK.. that said it was a couple years ago, not sure on status now.

Thanks!

Turns out the Strata for the place I am staying at has a launch so I am good.
Will be first time fishing this lake. Going to take the tinny because it doesn't get in the water much.

Thanks!

Turns out the Strata for the place I am staying at has a launch so I am good.
Will be first time fishing this lake. Going to take the tinny because it doesn't get in the water much.
Hi Tips up please post a fishing report my son has a place up there and I will be taking my boat up there a couple of weeks. I Can’t just wait until August first just to go fishing
I understand that small plugs might work

@habberdasher

Not much of a report from me. I had some motor issues that kept me from fishing on the first day.
Sunday we caught a few cutthroat 8-12" on gang troll and worm. I had 2 hits on a plug.
My kids fished gang troll and I persisted with a plug although I have never fished one in a lake.
Surprised that we did not catch any rainbow.

I was on the Youbou side of lake and did not venture far. I was surprised how deep the lake was. 250+ feet out in the middle.
Saw many boats trolling by with downriggers out a bit deeper that we were. I tried to stay in 30 ft or so along the shore.

From what I heard the better fishing for cutties is near the creek mouths at the end of cowichan.

All in all it was nice to get out and do some lake fishing as I am normally a salty guy.

@habberdasher

Not much of a report from me. I had some motor issues that kept me from fishing on the first day.
Sunday we caught a few cutthroat 8-12" on gang troll and worm. I had 2 hits on a plug.
My kids fished gang troll and I persisted with a plug although I have never fished one in a lake.
Surprised that we did not catch any rainbow.

I was on the Youbou side of lake and did not venture far. I was surprised how deep the lake was. 250+ feet out in the middle.
Saw many boats trolling by with downriggers out a bit deeper that we were. I tried to stay in 30 ft or so along the shore.

From what I heard the better fishing for cutties is near the creek mouths at the end of cowichan.

All in all it was nice to get out and do some lake fishing as I am normally a salty guy.
Thanks for the report my son and his neighbor are both avid fisherman however after about five years they say they haven’t figured the lake out yet. Years ago my son and I took a course on fishing the creek mouths as I remember during the spawn you were supposed use egg patterns then flesh patterns then leeches (which were coming to the carcasses) and finally fry patterns unfortunately the time we went to Shaw creek a strong squall came up stranding us on a sandbar for quite a while and we have never gone back. I will post a report after I get a chance to fish in a few weeks

The large Cutthroat trout eat the small kokanee in the lake so small baitfish imitations are the ticket , Spoons, plugs etc. As the water warms a good sounder and downriggers will help you find the fish that are going to be near the thermoclines in the water . The Spring,fall and winter can be fantastic trolling plugs with long lines out and no weight anywhere on the lake . Lots of regulations on the lake too , Cant keep fish over 50cm and single barbless during the winter .

Back