Cowichan Bay Boat Ramp under pressure

traveller

In case anyone in the group uses the Cowichan Bay Boat Launch and parking area, you may all need to be aware of a very recent and quickly arrived at development involving the launch ramp access and parking area. The Regional District Director for area D, Cowichan Bay area, has worked with the Cowichan Land Trust and the other Regional Directors to place a 1000 square foot building on the South West side of the Launch Ramp entrance area, right on the grassy beginning of Hecate Park. It will take up minimum of 5 parking spots there, as well as eliminate the grassy picnic area where many used to enjoy visiting. In addition there will be a minimum 14 foot high bird watching tower beside it. According to Land Trust web site this Nature Centre will be a strong attraction to the Cowichan Bay area, and be well advertised.

A group of us who do use the ramp regularly are concerned that a strong addition to an already overcrowded parking area will be rendered impossible for boaters during summer or in fact any good weather time that boaters want to go out. To place this centre where they have( already under construction) seemed to be poor planning or else a decision to sacrifice the boat access and parking for a Nature Centre with consultation with the boating public. If you share our concern, you may want to send an e-mail to one, or all of the regional directors concerned, or perhaps include the Chair of the Regional District, Rob Hutchins to let them know you are not impressed with the decision for placement of an interpretive nature centre in Hecate park, particularly hanging into the existing parking area.

Rob Hutchins Board Chair rhutchins@ladysmith.ca****

Mike Walker, Area A: mwalker@cvrd.bc.ca

Bruce Fraser, Area B: fraser@islandnet.com

Gerry Giles, Area C: ggiles12@shaw.ca

Lori Iannidinardo, Area D: liannidinardo@cvrd.bc.ca

Traveller

Took a drive over to look today.
Yup, it will have an impact on the trailer boaters (like me).
I have no idea where they expect the visitors, not to mention the picnicers, to park, but I can see cars spilling over into the trailer parking area.
Half the existing car parking (6, west of the can and pump station) will probably turn into handicapped spots so not much left for other visitors.
Should be ok during the week, but on weekends it will require an early start just to secure parking.
From the flood of "Letters to the Editor" that hit the local papers this weekend - all in support of the Centre, of course - and the fact they are building it already, I don't think it's placement can be changed now.

Perhaps we can get them to do signage identifying that the area east of the can is restricted to boat trailers with vehicles attached?

The biggest joke is that it is being built as a "portable" or "moveable" building so that it could be relocated. Sounds like bs they came up with to save putting foundations under it.

Back