Costa Rica questions

Fishboy89

Just wondering if anybody has done any fishing on the west coast of Costa Rica. Family is heading down there for March break, guided inshore bottom fishing and offshore trolling is in the cards. We are staying near Manuel Antonio Park and then Nosara/Samara area. Would also be interested in DIY options like renting kayaks for bottom fishing, or shore fishing. Thanks in advance!:)

Nosara & environs can be windy at that time if you want to go offshore do it from Quepos.

I could go on & on about fishing from the beach on the Pacific side but the most important thing is WATCH THE SWELL-NEVER EVER TURN YOUR BACK ON THE OCEAN.

Just wondering if anybody has done any fishing on the west coast of Costa Rica. Family is heading down there for March break, guided inshore bottom fishing and offshore trolling is in the cards. We are staying near Manuel Antonio Park and then Nosara/Samara area. Would also be interested in DIY options like renting kayaks for bottom fishing, or shore fishing. Thanks in advance!:)

There are quite a few options out of Quepos to the North (?) not too far away. One of the major sportfishing hubs down there fore sure. Been to Costa Rica twice backpacking, amazing amazing country and awesome fishing. Havent spent much time around where you mentioned but i know boats run up there from other ports. I believe there is decent rooster fishing (a must) all year round but I would look into the run timings for sails, marlin and dorado for that area.
Had a blast casting for Jacks and snapper in the surf, just used smaller crocs and grub looking jigs with a spinning rod. Do some research for a few creek mouths and there are snook around as well. When I was there, you just needed a license for the off shore charters. Have a blast, not if but when I go back again!

I remember sitting on the beach in Brasalito just north of Tamarindo, watching rooster fish feed and play in the surf 10 feet off the beach. I thought if I ever went back to just have a spinning rod and a few buzzbombs would be epic good times. Good Luck!!

Samara is one of my favorite spots down there. Never went fishing but from our hilltop patio I would always see a number of boats heading out in the AM.
Do a stock up at a mini super in Nicoya as everythings cheaper there- 90 cents CAN for a sixer of Imperial lager last time I was there. Giggity!
They did have a selection of tackle and hardware at the local store in Samara too, so safe bet there are fish around.

In terms of surf fishing if you can't find Squid or Shrimp to fish on a 'bar rig' then Berkley Powerbait will work.

My wife and I will be down there in March (25-Apr 1). No kids on this trip. We are staying up the top end of the Nicoya Peninsula in Playa Hermosa (not to be confused with Playa Hermosa by Jaco). The place we are staying at has kayaks so I plan to do a bunch of Kayak fishing, shore fishing and then likely a charter day. If you are looking to split a charter I'd be into it.

My wife and I will be down there in March (25-Apr 1). No kids on this trip. We are staying up the top end of the Nicoya Peninsula in Playa Hermosa (not to be confused with Playa Hermosa by Jaco). The place we are staying at has kayaks so I plan to do a bunch of Kayak fishing, shore fishing and then likely a charter day. If you are looking to split a charter I'd be into it.

Hi Andrew - that would have been fun and thanks for the offer but we are flying out on the 26th so our times do not overlap.

I not fished the Pacific side, but fished tarpon out of Tortuquero. I think is most fun fish I have ever hooked. Is Caribbean side, but remember CR is a small country. About 5 hours by road from San Jose, with stops. Stand on the continental divide (Poas volcano) and you can see both the Pacific and the Caribbean. Looked like Quepo has the most boats on the Pacific side. Interesting restaurant is El Avion between Quepo and Manual Antonio. Is part of the CIA and Sandinista debacle. One of the planes sent there. Actually good food.

Fished out of Drake Bay a few years ago with not a lot of success and chartered a panga out of Peurto Jiminez and had a good day inshore fishing.
Corcavado Park and Osa Peninsula are spectacular places to visit.
Crockadile Lodge is located there if you are feeling staky.

Back