Coolers

adanac

looking into getting something in the 250 size to use as a coffin box on our weekend - extended trips when we don't have access to freezer. Leading towards yeti but was looking to see if anyone has experience with them or any of the other high end coolers ( engle , iceytek ) before I spend an arm and a leg on one.

Check out these 2 videos

Do a google search for cooler reviews...they rate the top 10 and its surprising that the most expensive aren't the best. I think the Coleman Extreme was in the top 3 and its one of the cheapest. They tested the same amount of ice in each over time...opened each and compared how much ice was left.

i use a cooler in a cooler for extended trips... works awesome for keeping ice!

For a large cooler like a 250 some of the lids seem to warp less than others - something with more that 2 closure latches would be superior. Given the similar size of the various brands at a given capacity, probably mot a lot of difference in insulation. You will probably need equal volumes if salt ice/fish to go 5 days in our climate. If you have access to ice during the trip, most anything should be good for 2 days. Regular cube ice will bruise the fish badly. Pack the bellies well.

Check the dimensions versus true capacity on the coolers carefully before choosing. Some are much taller than others for same length and height is usually an unlimited dimension on a deck. :) I just bought a 150 qt Pelican because it fit it the same deck space as a 108 qt Engel (123 model is only 108 qt)

A snap on white cushion will add a lot of insulation where you need it most (on top) and means you can get a dark color cooler to match hull without having a dark side of a cooler exposed to the sun (as Homer would say, not SMRT) .

New to market - inflatable soft coolers that split the difference between a hard cooler like Yeti and Kill Bags like Reliable:

http://stashcoolers.com

No experience with them, just saw them posted on MoldyChum.com

Cheers!

Ukee

Cool idea but all the soft sides as I've used do not hold up to fish spines. Salmon probably OK but better fillet bottomfish before putting them in a soft side.

Cool idea but all the soft sides as I've used do not hold up to fish spines. Salmon probably OK but better fillet bottomfish before putting them in a soft side.

Costco soft-sides certainly don't hold up to Rockfish or ling spines!!! The FAQ on the Stash Coolers website does state that the military grade materials should withstand puncture by fish spines but, at the price they're asking, would be an awfully expensive risk to take!!

Cheers!

Ukee

i use a cooler in a cooler for extended trips... works awesome for keeping ice!
I do this - not on the water but in the desert.

JBOSFw5.jpg

That was the largest cooler-cooler I could make out of a single 4x8 sheet of styrofoam. 40+ during the day; the larger cooler of the two inside it would hold ice for about 5 days even with constant opening/closing. 6 bags of ice lasted 9 days.

You can also see a solar-powered air conditioner on the left there, but it needs low humidity to cool effectively. Works very well in deserts. Probably wouldn't work at all on the coast.

I was looking at orca coolers rated top in its class on utube tests. Also cabelas brand did well also

This doesn't help you because they don't make a 250l but I have a calcutta cooler. The 80l model for camping it's awesome. Don't fill it then try and put it into the back of your truck it's heavy.

I have made my own coolers with 2 inch construction foam using tuck tape and polyurethane glue that foams as it sets. Very light and you get your own customized size with exceptional insulating quality. I cover them with reflective bubble wrap. Does the job but doesn't have the durable exterior and interior so they are not appropriate for all aplictations.

Have gone hunting in early sept. when it's still warm, what I do is take an old down sleeping bag an keep my old 120 coleman cooler covered, works great. Even use an old fibre filled bag on the bottom.

Some of the Woods brand rotomolded coolers are on sale at Canadian tire. Anyone have any experience with these? I was also concidering the Calcutta brand that Chandler carries. Not as a fish cooler though.

Back