Conservation Measures for Northern and Southern BC Chinook Salmon and Southern Resident Killer Whale

Looks like it's not over yet ?

Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0464-Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 Chinook Salmon - Abundance Update - June 8, 2018

This notice provides information on the current in-season abundance of Fraser
River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 Chinook.

The model used to predict the return of Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2
Chinook uses data from the standard Chinook net fished by the Albion Test
fishery and does not incorporate catch from the multi-panel net (which is
currently fished on alternate days). The standard Chinook net is an 8 inch
(approx. 20 cm) mesh. Catch and effort data are cumulated by week, starting
the first full week in May, to provide the input to the model.

In 2018, the Albion Chinook test fishery began operating on April 22. The
total catch for the period of this update (May 6 to June 2) was one (1)
Chinook. Based on this input, the current predicted return to the mouth of the
Fraser for the Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 Chinook aggregates ranges
from 19,000 to 47,000 Chinook (median value of 29,580).

The final in-season update is planned for June 18.

Given conservation concerns for Fraser River Chinook, the Department does not
plan to adjust management actions for Fraser River Spring and Summer 5-2
Chinook fisheries in-season and additional conservation actions are planned to
achieve the Department's conservation objective to reduce exploitation by 25%-
35% on Fraser Chinook stocks for the 2018 season (FN0428). Further information
on additional management actions will be communicated by separate fishery
notices.

Last edited:
Gee I wonder if those who are netting salmon in the Fraser right now have only caught one Chinook from May 6 to June 1 - Me thinks not!

I wonder how accurate and free from political manipulation this DFO data is???

Gee I wonder if those who are netting salmon in the Fraser right now have only caught one Chinook from May 6 to June 1 - Me thinks not!

I wonder how accurate and free from political manipulation this DFO data is???
The f Naitions killed 228 on a 36 hr opening but only 12 in the area the test fishing is done with the river up this high the test fishing is very flawed a lot more fish are going bye

I think that it has become obvious to all us that are involved that the DFO is not doing the job that they were hired to do? They are a bunch of highly paid civil servants who are accountable to no one and they are year by year and limit reduction by limit reduction destroying our fishery. What can we do to stop this downward trend that we find ourselves?

Albion is useless....they should be doing test results from upriver and not an area that has lost its traditional depth and determined by tide.
You can go back on catch rates and see a direct correlation between increased netting and how the early run is getting wiped out.

One report from pacific angler last week and people are already phoning them asking what can be done. Just shows that all thoes with big social media followings get on board that it can generate a lot of interest.

http://www.pacificangler.ca/pacific-angler-friday-fishing-report-june-8-2018/

"
Regarding the recent closures and orcas…. I have been in some meetings this past week and have some very interesting information and data to share. I just read a recent article in the Globe and Mail “Ottawa Bans Salmon Fishing to Save Whales” which is simply not true. Once you see the science you will see that this decision was very politically motivated. I am not sure how these kind of headlines are allowed, all it does is damage the economy as we are still open for fishing. I am on the water 5 in a row, but I will be presenting a document for all of you to read very soon, so thank your patience. Many of you have called the shop or emailed saying you want to help. Please keep sending us your info, as we will need your help very soon.

See you in the shop or on the water,

Jason Tonelli"

Just shows that all thoes with big social media followings get on board that it can generate a lot of interest

Hash tags work. Internet forums have declined in the past ten years. People just like using facebook and twitter instead. Unfortunately, users don't understand how manipulative they are, and this SRKW issue is a prime example. Facebook and twitter are easy conduits for propaganda, and many political factions have weaponized the platform. Memes, hashtags and clickbait work at shaping public opinion. People want to virtue signal on social media about any given topic, and don't think critically about what they're doing.

It's not about saving the whales through curtailing fishing. It's about oil pipelines. That's what's really going on here. Go look at all these orca groups, and every one of them is anti-pipeline. The emotional connection we have for orca whales has been coopted to advance that narrative. It's pretty obvious to me. Large ships interfere with the whales' ability to hunt, therefore we need to have less ships in the area, and oil tankers are large ships.

There's nothing in these groups' agenda about helping out actual salmonid enhancement programs.

Time to hijack the narrative of these hypocrites and stop being such victims of enviro-bullies.

Well said!

Hash tags work. Internet forums have declined in the past ten years. People just like using facebook and twitter instead. Unfortunately, users don't understand how manipulative they are, and this SRKW issue is a prime example. Facebook and twitter are easy conduits for propaganda, and many political factions have weaponized the platform. Memes, hashtags and clickbait work at shaping public opinion. People want to virtue signal on social media about any given topic, and don't think critically about what they're doing.

It's not about saving the whales through curtailing fishing. It's about oil pipelines. That's what's really going on here. Go look at all these orca groups, and every one of them is anti-pipeline. The emotional connection we have for orca whales has been coopted to advance that narrative. It's pretty obvious to me. Large ships interfere with the whales' ability to hunt, therefore we need to have less ships in the area, and oil tankers are large ships.

There's nothing in these groups' agenda about helping out actual salmonid enhancement programs.

Time to hijack the narrative of these hypocrites and stop being such victims of enviro-bullies.

I wonder what could have given them that idea that increasing tanker traffic would effect SRKW? Perhaps it was something that National Energy Board said.

"The Board finds that the operation of Project-related marine vessels
would likely result in significant adverse effects to the Southern
resident killer whale. Although the effects from Project-related
marine vessels on the Southern resident killer whale would be a small
fraction of the total cumulative effects, the Board recognizes that the
increase in Project related marine vessels would further contribute to
cumulative effects that are already jeopardizing the recovery of the
Southern resident killer whale."

So how do you mitigate that "significant adverse effect" ......... I know shutdown Rec fishing because that is the trade off that is needed for those that want the pipeline built.

I wonder what could have given them that idea that increasing tanker traffic would effect SRKW? Perhaps it was something that National Energy Board said.

"The Board finds that the operation of Project-related marine vessels
would likely result in significant adverse effects to the Southern
resident killer whale. Although the effects from Project-related
marine vessels on the Southern resident killer whale would be a small
fraction of the total cumulative effects, the Board recognizes that the
increase in Project related marine vessels would further contribute to
cumulative effects that are already jeopardizing the recovery of the
Southern resident killer whale."

So how do you mitigate that "significant adverse effect" ......... I know shutdown Rec fishing because that is the trade off that is needed for those that want the pipeline built.

It’s so hard to keep up with, is there a schedule or instructions somewhere? I cant keep up with whether I’m supposed to accept what the NEB says or call it flawed junk science. It changes here so often.

it's simple, 3x5 - since the NEB is largely about facilitating the industry - if they say it is bad - it likely is

It’s so hard to keep up with, is there a schedule or instructions somewhere? I cant keep up with whether I’m supposed to accept what the NEB says or call it flawed junk science. It changes here so often.
perhaps keep this in mind.....

"If you want to know who controls you, look at who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire

Was this situation handled correctly and how should it be handled in the future? How come these whales chose to hunt near fishing boats rather then in the protected areas in sooke?

Last edited:
Funny thing is that if FN were sport fishing it would attract more DFO attention then if they were commercial fishing.
1000% correct! We somehow need to reach out to FN's and help them to become engaged in the recreational fishery. When these small coastal FN communities see there is real economic benefits from the sport fishery, providing direct jobs in the lodge, guiding, and support services sectors...then we will see a shift.

Back