Conservation Measures for Northern and Southern BC Chinook Salmon and Southern Resident Killer Whale

Fraser River Alliance held a protest bar fishery last year b/c of DFOs mismanagement of the river fishery - somehow the stats on bar fishing impacts on sockeye (non-existent) were ignored in deference to the lobbying of DFO to shut down the rec fishery by the other in river “user group”, which they did. They arranged for media to be present and held a protest fishery at one of the popular bar fishing spots. Not sure if DFO showed or if anything came of it, anyone else with insight?

Cheers!

Ukee

Living in Alberta I only know a few of the areas ..... but I did live in Vancouver for 20 years and fished lightly... looking at the maps now... its an economic disaster.... my gut wrenches for all you guides and sports out there.... and for anyone who is trying to make living doing what I love to do for pleasure... I myself have over 100K invested in fishing and live 1000 kms away... I come back about 3 times a year.... I would truly say that I would have never put that money in today knowing that this is closed. RIP Southern Vancouver Island Fishing Tourism. RIP indeed.
Maybe its time to start practicing "Free Man on the Land" tactics.... I believe there is a Common Law that states you can't stop anyone from feeding themselves.....

I noticed the mighty quota holders didn’t get touched either. I guess when u donate enough money to politicians u can dance between the raindrops and keep your lines in the water.

We (Area G Troll) have taken hit after hit following reduction upon reductions. This while the rec sector giggled and erroneously postulated it could never happen to them. Well guess what - it has. And brace yourself, this will only get worse into the future.

As for your ignorant, uninformed rant, put an effing sock in it. Your insinuations are beyond inane, to the point of being crass & vulgar.

Nog

Good to see a story like this showing up in mainstream media. Some points I took from it:

"Competition with other marine mammals for the same food may be a bigger problem than fishing, at least in recent years, for southern resident killer whales that spend time in Washington state's Puget Sound, a new study suggests.

Researchers used models to estimate that from 1975 to 2015, marine mammals along the U.S. West Coast ate dramatically more Chinook salmon – from 6,100 metric tons to 15,200 metric tons, according to a study published Monday in the journal Scientific Reports.

In the same period, salmon caught by commercial and recreational fishing from Northern California to Alaska declined from 16,400 to 9,600 metric tons.

"This really quantifies yet another pressure on recovering the salmon population," said co-author Isaac Kaplan, a research fishery biologist with the Northwest Fisheries Science Center, part of NOAA Fisheries. Other threats to salmon include habitat damage, dams and pollution.

The emphasis typically has been on managing how fishing affects salmon. But this study brings the rest of the ecosystem, including predators, into the picture, Mr. Kaplan said.

Researchers have known marine mammals gorge on salmon in certain hot spots, including the Columbia River between Oregon and Washington. But the predators may be eating even more in the ocean than thought.

The authors estimated how much salmon in different life stages four marine mammals ate based on a number of assumptions, including their weight, diet and size. The species included California sea lions, Stellar sea lions, harbour seals and fish-eating killer whales.

The study does a very good job of accounting for who eats Chinook salmon during its various life stages, said Andrew Trites, professor and director of the marine mammal research unit at the University of British Columbia. He was not involved in the study. "They've identified some of the major players, but they haven't identified them all," such as other fish, marine birds and porpoises, he said.

The study found killer whales, which increased from 292 to 644, ate the most salmon in terms of biomass, or weight, while harbour seals ate the greatest numbers of salmon, mostly juvenile fish."

This something that DFO and their masters the Federal Government has to start paying attention to!

I think this just shows dfo does not listen and could care less what SFAB says. It’s time to start protests and getting attention. I think one of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read on here said not to set up protests and on the water blockages cause the tv crews may interview someone who is off the rocker at the protest.

Yeah. No. Dfo doesn’t listen to the way we do things now. So we will have to change tactics and start some major blockades of ports etc

Although I did not state that, I was there when it happened.
It is not a what if, it happened.

Back in the day, when only the commercial sector was getting hammered, the Feds decided that Musqueam , Tsawwassen, and Burrard bands would have their own private commercial fishery that would happen the day before that all race commercial fishery, we protest fished. The camera crews went around the boats and found some window licker lurking in his boat that said the only solution was putting a bullet in the minister's head.
That was played for a bit on the various media outlets and effectively killed any positive momentum we had.

The Kapp decision went all the way to the Supreme Court. I worked on the file while in law school and attended the hearing in Ottawa.
The Supreme Court decided the case on points that were never in issue to begin with.

I got out of commercial fishing after fighting and advocating for over a decade and now it's deja vu all over again with the rec sector.

This may come as a big surprise, but most of the really smart and informed people in this province are not employees of the DFO. There are many smart people out there that are concerned recreational fishermen that have been trying to communicate with the DFO only to have their constructive comments fall on tone deaf ears. Why won't the DFO listen to people like the SFI and members of the SFBC Forum and others that are trying to provide them with constructive and intelligent advice?

Most of the good biologists left DFO years ago when they saw their HARD work was laughed at by puppets in Ottawa.

That and the Harper administration layed them all off. Used to be a lot more DFO biologist envovled in construction development approval.

Now all DFO has left is one guy in prince George to approve all the development projects. He’s basically a rubber stamp of yes has no time to get out to the development to see if they are impacting streams/creeks and rivers.

Absolute devastating policy.

Nog, agree the commercial guys have taken a big hit. I've said to more than one non informed person that I'm glad I never invested in your sector...at least with a salmon license.

This may come as a big surprise, but most of the really smart and informed people in this province are not employees of the DFO. There are many smart people out there that are concerned recreational fishermen that have been trying to communicate with the DFO only to have their constructive comments fall on tone deaf ears. Why won't the DFO listen to people like the SFI and members of the SFBC Forum and others that are trying to provide them with constructive and intelligent advice?
I am a retired Computer Consultant & the above reflects on the "Not Invented Here" syndrome - never heard a good idea that I didn't think of first. Other factors come into play such as "not deciding is better that making the wrong decision". If you are a liberal ecological leaning politician, actions such as cutting fisheries instead of shooting seals are gonna ****-off a bunch of people who wouldn't have voted for you I the first place. Given the choice of you not being able to go fishing or shooting thousands of Seals, most will choose option 1. When this does not work (which it probably won't) & the choice becomes shooting thousands of Seals of having the Orca's starve, then the shooting option will become more popular, but I see this taking at least 10-20 years to play out. That's about the time it took down here in WA; seals get shot & it doesn't even make the news

It won't be that long because the resident whales only have a few breeding females left. If a solution isn't found soon they won't be able to produce new calves period and it will be just a matter of watching them die off one by one until none are left.

Apparently, the demise of the SRKW populations began in the late 50's and early 60's when the DFO allowed Bob Wright and his gang to capture Orcas for the various aquariums around the world. It is reported that these guys captured 75 Orcas from Puget Sound to Campbell River during those years. The DFO have since discovered that some of the main breeding females were included in this group which is one of the main reasons why their numbers are dwindling.

Apparently, the demise of the SRKW populations began in the late 50's and early 60's when the DFO allowed Bob Wright and his gang to capture Orcas for the various aquariums around the world. It is reported that these guys captured 75 Orcas from Puget Sound to Campbell River during those years. The DFO have since discovered that some of the main breeding females were included in this group which is one of the main reasons why their numbers are dwindling.

I’ve heard a few of the stories from one of the guys that helped pen them in Pedder Bay ...
Big money paid for those whales.

On reflection this is pretty damning evidence against the DFO for ever allowing this to happen. If this was a murder mystery I think that this information about what Bob Wright was allowed to do in the late 50's and early 60's would be a smoking gun. Maybe the problems that the Southern Pods of Orcas are now encountering have nothing to do with the reason that the DFO have made the decisions that they have made?

Bob Wright began trapping the killer whales in the late 60s and selling them to aquariums , at the time no one knew the difference between transient or resident orca , so many died in the first few days. 45 were taken from the southern resident group. unfortunately their is no hope of recovery for this group. Just optics now.
The inevitable extinction of this group is due to 3 things.
a. The captures took mostly large males out of the population and limited the genetic diversity of the group. The balance of male to females of breeding age is grossly out of whack and has led to a significant imbalance.
b. Lack of Chinook and change in size. The southern residents prefer chinook, but they also eat chum and probably sockeye. The inconsistent returns and the gradual decrease in size of chinook ,due to over fishing and poor management in California , Oregon, Washington state , Alaska and BC.
c. Pollution, The main culprit is PBDE's a fire retardant found mostly in children's clothing. When you wash juniors clothes the fire retardant attaches itself to molecules of water and is flushed out into the strait where it enters the food chain , shrimp-salmon-whales. When a new born killer whale is breast feeding the milk is produced by the mothers fat where the PBDE's hide. If the mother is malnourished she feeds her calf a toxic milk soup and the calf invariably dies. The survival rate of newborns in this group is less than 50%.

Rather grim , especially when you realise this is THE most studied and researched group of whales in the history of mankind. Billions (yes billions) have been spent on these whales yet we just couldn't get it together to do some pretty basic things, pathetic.

beemer

Back