Confused by the regs

BarryA

Crew Member
Hi,

I plan to fish for chinook in the Gulf Islands in late May and also in August. I'm studying the regs online and am confused as to whether I'll be able to fish in August based on the following openings/closures map: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/maps-cartes/notice-avis/18-19-20-29-co-ch-eng.pdf. The striped area (e.g. Sidney, Pender, Saturna, etc) lists the restrictions for 5/4 - 7/18 (2 chinook, only one over 67cm, min size 62cm). Does this imply that there is no chinook fishing allowed outside that time frame, or does it mean that a different set of rules apply (e.g. the default regs for area 29 , which BTW are identical to the 5/4 - 7/18 rules)?

I'm confused, any clarity is appreciated. :)

thx,

Barry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Barry
Yes this means that you can only fish chinook in the specified times. No fishing is permitted the rest of the year.
Scott

Thanks, Scott. The DFO rules are a virtual minefield of violations you must be super careful to avoid. Best I can do is print them out and keep them handy on the water, as it seems an average day of fishing involves multiple sub areas to consider.

Not easy if this isn't your home area.

Barry

I agree, very confusing, and change through the season. I know it's all about conservation (right??), but who writes stuff like this:

2 Chinook per day, wild or hatchery between 45-67cm, hatchery only > 67.

I was baffled by what appears to be contradictions with the hatchery size. Hatchery can only be larger than 67cm?? But by the previous rule they must be between 45-67cm??

Why can't they say:
2 Chinook per day, wild between 45 and 67cm, hatchery 45cm and larger.

It would also be nice to understand the rational for these convoluted rules. For example, I presume the above rules are to preserve the larger wild stock?

What's a simple fisherman to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back