Concrete or Asphalt?

Whole in the Water

I have a gravel pathway (70 sqft.) and a gravel parking spot (250 sqft.) I want to convert to either concrete or asphalt. Not sure what way to go on this.

Just wondering what would be cheaper (and by how much) between concrete or asphalt to get professionally done?

I have a gravel pathway (70 sqft.) and a gravel parking spot (250 sqft.) I want to convert to either concrete or asphalt. Not sure what way to go on this.

Just wondering what would be cheaper (and by how much) between concrete or asphalt to get professionally done?
The prices are probably similar but concrete is more durable and can be more attractive, depending on the finish. I'd call reputable contractors and get them to give you written quotes on the work.

Asphalt 2k replace it in 10-15 years
Concrete 4k never touch it again

concrete. just order a pump truck and a concrete truck and they can just pour it on there. very easy. just need some help with the vibrating tool to smooth it out and get a flexible plastic edgers to position the concrete. i think it was $1.4K when i did it last. i used high pressure concrete with plastic additive instead of rebar. worked great. 4 inches concrete, 6 inches gravel. can land an airplane on it without cracking.

If you get snow asphalt is easier to clean off and will melt much quicker with just a bit of sun and even slightly below freezing. Concrete due to its mass takes forever to thaw out. I am in an area with fairly steep driveways. The one guy with concrete has a heck of a time getting up his driveway. Once I clear off the top layer the snow just seems to mostly disappear. I guess the black absorbs the heat and sun rays.
Ashphalt will also give a bit if you have frost or soft ground. Concrete will hold much more weight.

Just do not get exposed agg....my god what a PITA.
You can get some nice colored and stamped concrete. We did our patio a few years ago. It looks great and is low maintenance.

X2 on getting exposed concrete. Holds dirt crap and then moss. And when the temperature is just right the moisture can freeze and it's like driving on ball bearings.

on the Island quality asphalt is really not that much cheaper as the two solid asphalt companies really have the market and you pay dearly for it. The smaller companies just don’t do as good a job and it doesn’t hold up as well. I went concrete about five years back and couldn’t be happier with the results, permanent and better looking.

Call Paul Borsboom Concrete for a quote.
Paul did a 12' x 35' stamped concrete patio with a 36" apron around the rest of the back of my place. I'm very pleased with his work and would recommend him.

Thanks for the info and I agree aggregate concrete looks nice at first but is like outdoor carpet and just attracts dirt, moss, etc. and is a PITA to keep clean.

Though about concrete pavers. Lots of colors and patterns. Easy to repair. If anything happens to them.

Thanks for the info and I agree aggregate concrete looks nice at first but is like outdoor carpet and just attracts dirt, moss, etc. and is a PITA to keep clean.

super ****** for the environment too , the slurry has to be vac trucked away. expensive these days..
brushed and cut properly is the nicest! IMHO

I was told that paving stones can’t be pressure washed to clean them as it blows out the sand from between the paving blocks.
Yes if you use sand that can happen, if you use Polymeric Sand that should not be a problem. It will also stop weeds growing in it.

Back