Comox lake

jbv

such a beautiful lake, nearly crystal clear. so few fish! is it just me or does this lake give up it's fish very reluctantly. other than small cutties is there any other species in this lake? looks so dam fishy, but it ain't...

Big cutties in Comox Lake, try trolling big tomic plugs in the mouth of the Cruickshank, off the edge of the drop-off. Will only get a couple of bites a year...but oh baby ! If looking for pan fries, cast or troll the small feeder streams, week before Fathers day till week after usually best,depends on freshet.

I have a buddy who's fished it for his whole life, he's in his seventies now. He has some pictures from back in the day of fish that would make your hair stand on end.

Comox lake has cutthroat, rainbows, dollyvarden, and Kokanee, just gotta learn the hot spots and fish the edges of shallow bays and inflows. Cutts like cover and rainbows like open water

image.jpgThere are a lot of fish in there this was the biggest of 8 that day and my first trip there,Try mixing it up change your gear if it's not catching ,rapelas baitrex clowsers plugs they all work

Comox lake does NOT have a good populations of fish-- gang gillnet surveys have show this. MOE and the Courtenay F & G have been doing surveys for a while now and the lake is , like many coastal lakes, a very poor producer of trout. The big cutties that are legend, are in decline and the smaller cuts are being caught before they transition to feeding on the small kokanee . That is why there are these regulations for Comox lake. No cutthroat trout under 30 cm or over 50 cm; Bait ban and single barbless hook

yes, I know-- some anglers have good days--(some of the old photos were awesome) but the average joe angler sucess is just 1/2 a fish per day.

Hmmm weird every guy I know cleans up ,glad the gillneters can't figure it out- Dfo shitting the bed love it

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice reply bud-- you dont like the information that the regs are based on-- too bad. As far as gillnetting, I would suggest that you take some time to look up research methods for lake studies that are used right across North America... Oh-- and another thing.. DFO has nothing to do with the survey. Its the Provincial Fisheries Ministry and volunteers from the Courtenay Fish and Game .

Thanks man no problem ..Weird Dfo had a part in the last gill net that took place in my area ..They should just electro shock them like they usually do because neither of those methods harm the fish in anyway ..Your right man there are no fish there keep telling every one that

I just hope you have your tongue sticking out the side of your cheek when you say that electrofishing will not harm the fish. BTW-- how long do the electrodes have to be to reach the bottom of a 500 +ft lake???

:pya that's my sarcastic face- I just know they like using (electrodes) in creeks , I would like to see both practices put away, maybe use a sain net in the lakes and minnow traps in the creek ,why gill net the the river mouths I mean they seem to pick up a lot of the big spawners when they do that.. I know there trying to benefit and help the fishery in the name of Science but the only thing that's benefiting are the Eagles at the recovery centre as that's where I was told the fish went after they were done being studied .

Fished Comox Lk today.4lb cuttie to the boat and released.there was 3 pieces of light color green yellow sea lice on the fish.never before have i caught a fish from this lake with sea lice.

Hey. New around here. Fishing Comox Lake; a shallow trolled fly or gang troll catches many legal fish in the right area, we only take 2 or 4 a season, a Tomic plug fished with a long leader off the downrigger can produce sizable fish, but with the regulations now haven't done that in years.

Up Comox Lake yesterday, and these pictures are from Puntledge Creek flowing from Willemar Lake. The creek is loaded with fish in for some distance upstream, and the fish are all the same size. Is someone, and who, seeding the creeks with biomass? Also found about 20 Kokanee spawners on the beach on the south end of the lake. Dead hooked nosed red Kokanee of about 10 to 12 inches are a regular sight on the beaches since I was a kid.

Cheers

Last edited:
6N2atancDKhJHYWa6
UWhuW6hBKu-Cw4lHIRlA7hndaU7xd-_ZjPnWQFfDUPGIIDTP2bFpgn1K7sypuh7YDXYP7rCW9PZpfZq1D-ifnZGz7ibXpesgsEa-e2MhvA_t7w0Egje0llg4DbaxQQP3suKdSdOHaWEVHyMrMv-2xKpcV0x0ThEP52K_ToRUp7n0QD7IycpwSnlQcYqFqawUr7R8lxHmbkh9hH8gKmdCcbfRtnnubWMKRJhY_pmg9zW8RGuymfR8newjRDyL2MbLPlvz-9xppozqfmO2EkYIA6aULDY4MIj5BMWxZQodYJx6i18Llioj8K8v_rpixs6zkpqQS_iCRSxavkBtQ3vO-eNgEg_DKdH-QSECwPiLkGIgAV0BRuTvvMVqTfnGnuiaZyzBYHmXv5wkIA7LCZnW_14_RNgWp9HZpKMQx8eVJ1T6MDm-9A6xhgMm3HztPPp3vO_13PWOQg_sVAxv7n3JGETrILBv2O56A9fhas-l_wYB1QXeoVVj7Y2VTV0Rs5UBBd8RvLS7BV_8o4sj_8sQdAM9_Fs8rnQu0bx43h6T4Y9qEk-sl5eZqF0q9yVYsXZlslZAZpJtCoXM6MKSPWGEQKDxkEdjGhveyDXO5eqfIjWOQ5-Tr2Y5OjPDoc30hoN0O3SB4NN3rnTjZHwJuMvD1w8_7vf25IEL2qwJApTn4MYba8onGAUTrzf-=w548-h781-no

l1JJOV4upPxMH0sxhJNPF2Ofbq2VB-l-XbA8Q1yfppYUg5rzL1bVcRbL_fIHqIgV6S6xBXO6TjkRY8LCa6iogU8zCiDkNrjX9SwpAllXYcbr2u5NDO8kToOPxggPOO_OIiKHEFQk-SHcXw52YdZzs3uiH0Xc8oscsYBVaBEabk_1eIpcBAXVaqCVEHXjJCSqD9dXcEKRRiCF83BdmzoTLriYvoKS0Uf-apncgM54uavW32heJd4ebl3tzINjqNTv1yF-Ew5cKamSMXsLHh4OJx6hFQvayeA2LC2hvrmvSGWYL_nQ3G_bWOfpkRk8gfDvIFMwo4nkK-4mJtTqVGfiIf_gPJGll0Crsg7dUCiRoVuaazqlmRQA71SS_5aY9bYixZMK7K0_9EVdOnZ39CQtxqKCoxbKPINWWH_e780M3OqljRagRH9KMvMYWXSpLBgU5Hc3UnWIPG_wPvCYh-v2sl7Zw54vGe0Er-cQQi1F7uQseLzY52l1dtTfsLHVXDFKkCPc3Iz3QFeyAX0O8k-cuySG-WSuRBBSOHmo4aG1maVr9QYgICT6_wSa_uLNgzaPoxtS_Ep2QUurxJuGk0QqDtFM6wQUWVjUP5ZCxUZBhmBRv-qEMkOsh7rHFjTw9_hbxd7s-YwCk70FprniebvNQ9uX8WauvWYxsF0dopnQHi4w19fkb_qqKHt8=w440-h781-no

Back