Comox lake cutthroat

Prawnhunter

Anyone checking stomach contents of their catch in Comox Lake? Any fish with kokanee in them? Used to be hard to find a cutthroat in there that wasnt stuffed full of them. Now it seems every Cutthroat caught is near starving.

I did see a simulare tagging program in Horne lk as Comox lk .but to what i know,comox cutties taken to duncan rearing facility?Are comox LK a taylor fish? too my understanding they are not, and some to see may differ.Now a unleashed opening of stomacks can be shiped to moe.

Interesting observations prawnhunter. Are you noticing this all the time or just recently? I'm guessing the number of skinny looking kelts would start to ramp up now as spawning should be underway. From what I heard, it's just horne fish that are being used as brood, not comox. And a check of the stocking record online for comox shows no trout stocked since the 1950's, before the Taylor's started. The biologist who came to Courtenay fish and game said harvest levels in comox were lower than expected which is why the regulations are changing. I would think that this is good news!!

I havent put as much time in on comox lake this year with the low water levels but in years past during winter months and even as early as october i have caught 20+" cutts that were all head and tiny body 2lbs ish, for a fish that should have been nearly double that. Totally empty stomachs. Years ago it was uncommon to get a cutt over 16-18" that wasn't stuffed with kokanee. With the regs allowing a wider selection of gear to use this year im going to give it a good shot and see how things look. Ill post the catches as they come in.

Back