Commercial Live rock cod and yellow eye sales

7Deuce

I’m sitting on the ferry near a guy that’s making a bunch of phone calls trying to sell 1800 lbs of live rock cod including some amount of yellow eye. Is this legit? His customers (on speaker phone) are all asking if he has Lingcod or yellow eye.

is this a thing this time of year? I’m not shocked some of this ends up in restaurants and fish mongers. Anyone have any ideas on if I’m sitting beside a sloppy poacher?

Probably legit--- Next time you are in China Town check out the live fish they sell....

If they are live and caught in BC waters, what a great way to keep our resources "sustainable". Making calls to offload 1800lbs of a prized commodity. Likely sell for a fraction of what they are worth. Meanwhile we are allowed 1 per license during only a part of the year. Legit or not it does not seem right.

that’s exactly what I thought!!

There is a very limited commercial live rockfish fishery. I used to fish it years ago. Highly monitored and restricted. I believe each license is allowed around 1500lbs for the year. This time of year prices are very high. $20/lb range for live copper and quilbacks. Everything else including yellow eye $5-$10lb live were the prices 10 years ago.

don't think they have come up with a moble procesing /broker /buyer licence yet .but to see a prevose bus with 13 passangers forward and live tanks with glass sides behind the tank doors with a step up to the freezer &fridge above the bus engine ,past the serving counters port/starboard,with hammocks above to close your eyes every once 48 hrs .where ?ogden point.that would be the ultamate fish camp rig .

If you think it’s not right you get to keep 1, think about the $8500 for a license $2000 for amr start up, $1000 pur trip validation fees these rock cod fisherman are paying to help with the science of the fishery that they’ve proven dfo science and data is incorrect on which is why they’ve been raising the quota and opening up the sports sector again

But no yelloweye for us
Pay to play, commercial guys aren’t allowed to throw back the government says they die once we touch them. Commercial guys spend tens of thousands of dollars on quota, cameras, validation every year and if you run out of yellow eye quota which is hard to come by you livelyhood is shut down

Poaching hurts both legitimate sectors.
That's what started this thread, over a year ago.

Also, wrong forum to drop in and play butt hurt commercial fisherman.

There are a number of current and ex commies on here keeping the peace. You are welcome to join in our common goals.

Poaching hurts both legitimate sectors.
That's what started this thread, over a year ago.

Also, wrong forum to drop in and play butt hurt commercial fisherman.

There are a number of current and ex commies on here keeping the peace. You are welcome to join in our common goals.
Yeah, joining the forum to argue the commercial sector on a sport fishing forum seems kinda confrontational

Back