Commercial licenses.

R

Robenga

Should the owners of all these different commercial fishing licenses be allowed to lease them out for others to fish? if they are not actively using them themselves? They turn enormous profits from doing this. Maybe they should give them back to the government if they aren't using them themselves? Could be a nice new law. These licenses have become "Golden Tickets". Jimmy Pattison is like Willy Wonka........Seems the sporties keep getting smaller limits and time slots. Sportfishing would pump much more into the economy if limits on fish were higher. It's ridiculous.[xx(]

Commercial kills.

Thats funny, commercial kills! Then you state you need larger limits..hmmm sounds like sportfishing also kills! Its not about killing more and larger limits....its conservation, enjoying the sport, and a good time on the water now and in the future!

Talk to some of the sieners, the last bunch of years the herring fishery is not a hugely profitable venture, the enormous profit is fiction. Half the crews are being paid day wages, and lots of gillnetters do not even catch the quotas. I personally do not like the herring fishery, but just think its a joke someone thinks some of these fisheries are enormously profitable....has not been like that for years!

Very true! Years ago families used to be able to make a comfortable but not rich living but that is not the fact now. It takes a huge investment and no guaranteed return.

IMG_1445.jpg

In response to your post Robenga....I say NO!
Fishermen should not be able to lease out thier quota.... like you say it used to be where a guy could get a licence and a boat and make a living.... now you cant(other than salmon and still not make a living...yet). A word comes to mind....Monopoly or a phrase, as with any big business... which I am not sure any fishery could support...."the rich get richer"[V]
I did fish commercailly(as a decky) and its sad to see the work these lower guys put out for the fruit they recieve.
I am now a sporty.... but respect and support a lot of the commercail fishery (lol.... like the guy off Muir getting his pilchards... sure you guys remember [:eek:)]) But DO NOT SUPPORT how DFO has been running it....Again the canal the year before last.... "sure you guys just wipe out the SSS run..... pretty sure there is 130k coming back....have at 'er"....
Just a another line of the book of DFO mistakes:(

Its nice to hear the name Jimmy Pattison brought up. I dont think he needs anymore money off the fishery, maybe he can help with preserving the stock, start putting money into conservation. Why not start giving back to the fishery that gave you soo much. The holy gate is waiting for him, karmas a *****.

nowhere did i mention herring. agreed many species are not as profitable as they once were. but many are. i just feel that its run very inefficiently and has really just come down to the dollar. Pattison should put some of that money back into restoration....instead save on makes ****loads of money from commercially caught fish funneled down through different businesses he probably owns. everything is politics these days and its kinda sad. it gets worse and worse. i hope it changes. im just saying it ridiculous how the commercial quota compares to the sporties. the economy would benefit incredibly from better regs. as fish get more scarce...so do those "golden tickets". scarce fish become worth more...so do the "golden tickets". Wonka.

Commercial kills.

Hey you can look on the fisheries web page and see what lic. and boats the Pattison group owns, from what I see its mostly seiners and tons of herring quota, thats why I thought you were mentioning him.
There is the demand for wild fish of decent quality in the west coast market place and thats what the commercial boys do....alternative is the farmed stuff nobody wants produced on our coast. As for these bigger seiners I was just pointing out for the most part the seasons are extremely short and the profits are small.

I will agree with you those small seine openings in Port Alberni for 5000 chinooks in the late summer are troubling when escapements on the Somas Stamp are not met, pretty frustrating!

quote:They turn enormous profits from doing this. Maybe they should give them back to the government if they aren't using them themselves? Could be a nice new law. These licenses have become "Golden Tickets". Jimmy Pattison is like Willy Wonka........Seems the sporties keep getting smaller limits and time slots. Sportfishing would pump much more into the economy if limits on fish were higher. It's ridiculous.

Would you rather they each fished them? Why fish with 4 boats when you can catch what you need with 1? I've seen how it works in the Herring fishery and I'm glad that every licenced boat doesn't set a seine. Back in the old days thats how it was done, everyone set, and if they caught 1000 tonnes over the TAC then oh well someone got lucky with a million dollar set. Those days are no more. Now it is managed a lot tighter than it used to be. They now fish in pools. Everyone licenced is given a quota, and they can stack the licences, so that once the quota's are full there done fishing. There is even a cash penalty if they go over the quota by 3%. It might seem that they get money for nothing, but that isn't really the case.

Take only what you need.

I THINK LEASING SHOULD BE ALLOWED IT'S LIKE FARMERS OWNING ALL THE LAND THEY FARM . WE FARM 1400 ACRES IN THE LOWER MAINLAND @ 100 000 $ AN ACRE THAT'S ALOT OF MONEY JUST FOR LAND,SO HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY FOR VEGGIES, OR IT'S LIKE SAYING A BUSINESS OWNER NOT ALLOWED TO LEASE A BUILDING TO RUN HIS/HER BUSINESS BECUSE THE STARTING UP COST FOR THE BUSINESS WOULD BE HUGE. THE THE HERRING LICENSE USE TO BE BIG MONEY $200 000 A LICENSE FOR CATCHING 8- 10 TONS OF HERRING SO TO RU A BOAT FROM HER TO COMOX TO CATCH 19 TONS OF HERRING IT WOULDN'T PAY OR FISHING HALIBUT, BLACK COD, OR ANY OTHER QUOTA FISHERY. YOU GUY'S ALSO TALK ABOUT THE "ENORMOUS PROFITS" WHAT BOUT THE ENORMOUS PROFITS THESE LODGES MAKE. THEY SAY 70% OF FISH IS CAUGHT BY TWO PEOPLE JIMMY PATTISON AND THE OWNER OF OAK BAY MARINE GROUP.

quote:Originally posted by spring time

I THINK LEASING SHOULD BE ALLOWED IT'S LIKE FARMERS OWNING ALL THE LAND THEY FARM . WE FARM 1400 ACRES IN THE LOWER MAINLAND @ 100 000 $ AN ACRE THAT'S ALOT OF MONEY JUST FOR LAND,SO HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY FOR VEGGIES, OR IT'S LIKE SAYING A BUSINESS OWNER NOT ALLOWED TO LEASE A BUILDING TO RUN HIS/HER BUSINESS BECUSE THE STARTING UP COST FOR THE BUSINESS WOULD BE HUGE. THE THE HERRING LICENSE USE TO BE BIG MONEY $200 000 A LICENSE FOR CATCHING 8- 10 TONS OF HERRING SO TO RU A BOAT FROM HER TO COMOX TO CATCH 19 TONS OF HERRING IT WOULDN'T PAY OR FISHING HALIBUT, BLACK COD, OR ANY OTHER QUOTA FISHERY. YOU GUY'S ALSO TALK ABOUT THE "ENORMOUS PROFITS" WHAT BOUT THE ENORMOUS PROFITS THESE LODGES MAKE. THEY SAY 70% OF FISH IS CAUGHT BY TWO PEOPLE JIMMY PATTISON AND THE OWNER OF OAK BAY MARINE GROUP.

First off, look on the left side of your keyboard. There is a key marked "Caps Lock". Push it one time to make your text look normal.

Second, the owner of Oak Bay Marine does not chach all the fish. His paying guests catch them - just like any other sports fisherman.

Or are you saying that people who don't own boats shouldn't be allowed to fish? Maybe people who don't own hotels should not be allowed to travel?

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:Originally posted by spring time

YOU GUY'S ALSO TALK ABOUT THE "ENORMOUS PROFITS" WHAT BOUT THE ENORMOUS PROFITS THESE LODGES MAKE. THEY SAY 70% OF FISH IS CAUGHT BY TWO PEOPLE JIMMY PATTISON AND THE OWNER OF OAK BAY MARINE GROUP.

good point..

how about the people in central canada or the states, or elderly people, handicapped, mental challenge people. if it wasn't for commercial fishing they wouldn't get the chance to eat fish or seafood ( oh, wait what about farmed fish).

Some good points springtime, good to hear a few balanced opinions. As for bashing Bob, hope everyone realizes the donation he made back into research at uvic, 11,000,000 is a heap to put back, in my opinion that is fantastic!

I personally think that if you have a license you should fish it or sell it to someone who will, or retire it. I have fished commercially for the last 18 yrs or so and have seen far to many arm chair fisherman making a decent amount of money when your average fisherman like my self and a few others are trying to just stay afloat in this industry.
I gillnetted herring 2 yrs ago and for once made a few bucks as did my crew, but the following year since the fisherman made some cash the license owners felt their license was worth more because of that and the lease price ultimately went up drastically. That in turn forced me out as i was not willing to dish out the 40-50 grand to go fishing! Luckily i didn't as a few of my friends in the end couldn't catch their quota and ended up losing a lot of money.
This is also the same for different sectors in the commercial fishing industry, But hey i guess its good for Jimmy Pattison

My 2 cents

Cheers

if you guys only knew what was going on with halibut...jimmy pattison basically owns the halibut quota....he owns 70% and glen clark controls the other 18% so basically jimmy runs it all...its not right...MONOPOLY

Commercial kills.

Yup move this, Have we not seen the new rules...please post political and what not to the proper forum.

Getbent

quote:Originally posted by powder

Thats funny, commercial kills! Then you state you need larger limits..hmmm sounds like sportfishing also kills!
Well actually it would be more accurate to say "Commercial kills(88%)sportfishing kills(12%)". If we're going to call a spade a spade, lets really call it for what it is.

Sorry for adding to a thread that is in the wrong column. We need to get this moved to politics. ;)

Back