Commercial fishing is an essential service. By Bob Hooton

OldBlackDog

Steelhead Voices
24 mins ·
I'm sure I'm not alone in imagining different scenarios that may lie ahead. The message below instructs that fishing is an essential service. That news has been well received by the commercial fishing industry. One wonders how the (commercial) recreational fishing industry will react. I don't think it unrealistic to expect demands for similar treatment.

The looming question for me is will conservation be sacrificed on the alter of food safety and security and economic survival? Is there any group better at advancing its demands for government support than the unionists within the commercial fishing industry? Has conservation ever been a driving principle for the union spokespersons? I humbly suggest the word steelhead has never registered in their consciousness. Then there's "reconciliation" and the business of Food, Social and Ceremonial fisheries (not to mention demonstration fisheries and economic development fisheries) that have obviously superseded conservation in many situations.

Short days ago it occurred to me Covid-19 might not be a bad thing for fish conservation. Less people engaged and reduced harvest pressure from all sectors over the coming season seemed likely. Today, I'm not so sure. I wish no one any ill will over the circumstances we are all faced with in the world of the present. At the same time I'm thinking conservation standards that weren't doing the job pre-virus may be obviated by broader short term socio-political necessity.

Stay tuned.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020PSSG0020-000568…

I hear seafood prices are declining dramatically, Harvesting when no one wants the product or you can't get it to markets are restaurants that pay premiums for the product seems silly to me.

Alaska fisheries update: Soft markets stall efforts

https://www.nationalfisherman.com/alaska/alaskas-fisheries-update-soft-markets-stall-efforts/

Alaska halibut fishermen face a flattened market and fire-sale prices amid coronavirus crisis

https://www.adn.com/business-econom...face-a-flattened-market-and-fire-sale-prices/

Last edited:

Your quote Bob "Is there any group better at advancing its demands for government support than the unionists within the commercial fishing industry? "
The answer is YES--- FNs.

Steelhead Voices
24 mins ·
I'm sure I'm not alone in imagining different scenarios that may lie ahead. The message below instructs that fishing is an essential service. That news has been well received by the commercial fishing industry. One wonders how the (commercial) recreational fishing industry will react. I don't think it unrealistic to expect demands for similar treatment.

The looming question for me is will conservation be sacrificed on the alter of food safety and security and economic survival? Is there any group better at advancing its demands for government support than the unionists within the commercial fishing industry? Has conservation ever been a driving principle for the union spokespersons? I humbly suggest the word steelhead has never registered in their consciousness. Then there's "reconciliation" and the business of Food, Social and Ceremonial fisheries (not to mention demonstration fisheries and economic development fisheries) that have obviously superseded conservation in many situations.

Short days ago it occurred to me Covid-19 might not be a bad thing for fish conservation. Less people engaged and reduced harvest pressure from all sectors over the coming season seemed likely. Today, I'm not so sure. I wish no one any ill will over the circumstances we are all faced with in the world of the present. At the same time I'm thinking conservation standards that weren't doing the job pre-virus may be obviated by broader short term socio-political necessity.

Stay tuned.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020PSSG0020-000568…

The halibut fleet was recalled to port....no market for their fish. Lot less demand - closed restaurants etc. WA State closed their rec fishery, and OR followed suit.

A conspiracy theory perhaps, but can't help but wonder what DFO and the Province have been chatting about these days. I think that our situation here is very different because we don't experience the same crowding on our rivers and lakes as they do down south. Similarly, on the ocean most people are families hanging out in their small boats - a lot less risk. Charter operators and Lodges....all shut down - no risk there. So a lot less effort will be coming due to that and of course the travel restrictions will keep people away.

There is nothing essential about either commercial or recreational fishing...but, it is still about access to subsistence food security for some and I think we shouldn't judge those folks harshly.

Back