Commander 26 Refit

Discussion in 'Boats, Motors, Trailers and Towing Rigs Forum' started by Thunder21, Mar 18, 2019.

1. west coast bandito

west coast bandito New Member

2. Thunder21

Thunder21 Well-Known Member

Ya that works for me. I’ll send you a private message with my phone number .

3. runamuk

runamuk Member

Nice looking rig... Did you get the power and glass work done in Alberni as well

4. TaPaLi

TaPaLi New Member

Love the outboard re-power nice job! That was my plan when I was searching for an older Commander 26, but that went out the window when I found mine 3 years ago, already re-powered with a fresh Volvo D4 260. Only drawback to that is having the drive in the water year round, but it only burns 5 - 6 gph (depending on sea state & load) at 2,900 RPM which gives me a 25 mph cruise. Full re-fit since then (windows, door, electrical, fridge, wall covering, wipers, batteries, larger tabs, etc...) - I love this boat.

5. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Who did your windows and what exactly did you have done?

6. ab1752

ab1752 Well-Known Member

Likely ajr windows on poco. I have been speaking with them about one of their windshield / hardtop combos but unfortunately it won't work out as the deck structure on our boat is way too curved, they aren't tooled up for curved frames. The search continues...

Rain City likes this.
  7. Thunder21

Snap a few pictures of the inside of you don’t mind. I’d be curious to see the changes you’ve made.

8. TaPaLi

TaPaLi New Member

Ya, it was AJR. I was hoping to reuse the old glass and just re-bed with new frames to stop the leaks, but ultimately had to replace all glass. Labour intensive and expensive, but they did such a nice job that I also had them do an aluminum door to replace the original wooden one. I'll look for a few photos.

ab1752 likes this.
  9. TaPaLi

TaPaLi New Member

Sorry, not as many of the interior & windows as I thought I had, I'll take a few more on the weekend.

Attached Files:

Thunder21 likes this.
  10. Island Fish Lifter

Island Fish Lifter Well-Known Member

I have the same boat, twin 165’s. bought it in December and have been personalizing it to suit our needs. I won’t be repowering anytime soon. I seen that boat at fisherman’s, looks sweet. I’ll be keeping mine there this summer as well. How do you find it there as berthing is first come first serve?

kaelc likes this.
  11. Island Fish Lifter

Island Fish Lifter Well-Known Member

Scott?

12. Thunder21

I haven’t had any issues so far. A couple of times I have come back after the weekend and had a hard time finding somewhere to park but usually it’s not a problem. Worst case you just have a longer walk. I haven’t had to raft up or anything like that.

13. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Crew Member

Nice looken boat, great choice on motors...

14. TaPaLi

TaPaLi New Member

A few more:

Attached Files:

Robert Snyder likes this.
  15. Robert Snyder

that is one lovely vessel, thank you for the pics :D

16. Robert Snyder

These commands must be a heavy boat all dressed up :)

17. Robert Snyder

Hey, I was thinking on twin 150 or 175 Sukz for the 26' Hourston, did you come across any deals on this HP range?

18. Thunder21

I haven’t weighed my boat but I would guess close to 10k lbs. The best price I could find on engines was from sg power in victoria. They beat beakers by about 4K per engine. It was roughly 15k per engine plus controls for 200s.

19. Robert Snyder

Thank you so much, very nice looking boat, Commanders are very able vessels...!

20. kaelc

kaelc Well-Known Member

That power sounds awesome. You have 250 more hp than my 26 footer and the 10 foot beam must be amazing. Enjoy.