Coho in Cow Bay...

Has anyone taken advantage of this opening?

Coho: Portion of Subarea 18-8 (Separation Point): in that portion of Subarea 18-8, inside of a line between Separation Point and Cherry Point: Nov. 1 - Dec. 31, 2012: two (2) Coho per day (hatchery marked or unmarked). Listed on 01/06/2012 FN0448

I've tried to get out a couple of times, but the weather hasn't co-operated. Trolling bucktails for coho at sunup in Cowichan Bay was once high sport, I wonder if it would be the same now?

Not the last couple of years,sniperren. Aprox. 15,000 returned last year,and they are predicting anywhere from 20,000
to 40,000 this year.I still don't agree with the opening though. DFO should give these fish a generation or two before
allowing any salmon retention whatsoever IMHO.

Not the last couple of years,sniperren. Aprox. 15,000 returned last year,and they are predicting anywhere from 20,000
to 40,000 this year.I still don't agree with the opening though. DFO should give these fish a generation or two before
allowing any salmon retention whatsoever IMHO.
That's what sucks about salmon though: you give a bumper crop generation a year off and then the oceanhits that generation with very poor survival and you still end up with a bad run in three years.. If they were repeat spawners giving them a break would really pay off. IMHO better to take a kid fishing when fishing is good and get that kid interested in protecting habitat than stay home and play video games with the kid so there will be more fish next generation.. How about retention only for those under 19 so you force those kids to get out there?? :)

That's what sucks about salmon though: you give a bumper crop generation a year off and then the oceanhits that generation with very poor survival and you still end up with a bad run in three years.. If they were repeat spawners giving them a break would really pay off. IMHO better to take a kid fishing when fishing is good and get that kid interested in protecting habitat than stay home and play video games with the kid so there will be more fish next generation.. How about retention only for those under 19 so you force those kids to get out there?? :)

Trouble is when you take a kid fishing when there are lots of fish and they think it's all good, no reason to protect anything. Need to have them out lots over years. But I agree with the sentiments, get 'em outdoors.

Conservation can be taught without taking a kid fishing when it's slow. If you want them to lose interest that is a good method. Otherwise take kids out when the fishing is hot, show them how you pinch barbs, handle fish with care, ID fish and take only those you will consume. Tell them if we treat the fish right there will be more to catch next year.

If the salmon fishing is slow and your kid is not hooked yet take them to a dock where they can catch pan fish to keep in a bucket for a bit and then release. Most kids would prefer that to trolling in the salt any day.

As for coho in cow bay I don't know but I didn't see any action in the saanich inlet but I did see a big sea lion on the weekend. Prawning was tough.

Back