Code 7 Trailer towing endorsement

I saw that news article. As a commercial driver trainer earlier in life I'm surprised that people didnt know this. This is not new. You can't tow over 10,000lbs without an upgraded license. You used to need a commercial license but the house trailer endorsement is a work around for the recreation folks. This is no different than all the people hauling overweight campers and pretending they didnt know.

FYI code 7 applies to house trailer (RV's) only. Boats, horse trailer, machinery etc are considered heavy trailers and would require a code 20 license upgrade.

Last edited:
A few years after retirement, I turned in my class 1 licence and reverted back to a class 5. My endorsements still show a 15 (air brakes) a now an 07 house trlr any weight.
When registering a vehicle ICBC agent asked to see my licence and noted the endorsements, saying that I could tow my trailer with the licence I had with no upgrade. Although it would undoubtedly be the drivers responsibility to have the correct licence, some onus should be on both ICBC agent and the retail seller of the trailer IMO

Back