Coating downrigger balls

Kelly....I have only ever bought 5 cannonballs in my life. Two are sitting in the garage never ever been used.
Lost one in 2001 off F.C. and replaced it. So I guess that makes about 11 years with one cannonball.
The other is 21 years old.
Prior to that I used 10lb'ers in the Alberni Inlet back in the day...still have those---they are 31 years old.

Im always dragging bottom with 15 lbers and light 150lb braid so i can fish deeper in FC/local area. I find it catches more fish but you also need a supply of cannonballs.

Kelly....I have only ever bought 5 cannonballs in my life. Two are sitting in the garage never ever been used.
Lost one in 2001 off F.C. and replaced it. So I guess that makes about 11 years with one cannonball.
The other is 21 years old.
Prior to that I used 10lb'ers in the Alberni Inlet back in the day...still have those---they are 31 years old.

you my friend have the honour of being called "OLD BALLS"

I will let you know about glow scents as I just picked up anchovies glow scent from Pro Cure. Will try it in a gun barrel with spoons

I will let you know about glow scents as I just picked up anchovies glow scent from Pro Cure. Will try it in a gun barrel with spoons

Why not simply buy a glow scent chamber and fill it with a cheaper flavor of the day?

DHA.

Seafever you dont fish enough to have old balls like that LOL LOL

I thought about coating my balls but chickened out when told the process required 400deg temp to cure the coating.

The process I was thinking about is powder coating. The powder is sprayed on and then heated in an oven at 400 and the powder bakes on into a durable finish. I think what is being used is a dipping process.

In the time it takes to bake on a powder coating, the lead ball will take the shape of whatever it is resting on:)

Talked to PNT and they only coat when they have 100 balls...but they would be willing to exchange what I bring over. The only issue is when I can get over to the island. Not a biggy as I can't find any product in town to coat them anyways.

Seen this product, not sure if it is close to what PNT is using but looks interesting. What do you guys think?
http://www.hilltronix.net/index.php...ref=H100&sid=9ai5ms23uof838684tj579391118210x

Last edited by a moderator:
Powder coating flows at 400 deg f and lead melts at 620deg f how would that happen?
In the time it takes to bake on a powder coating, the lead ball will take the shape of whatever it is resting on:)

Sounds like it would work pretty well with what you are looking to do. I think I would give it a try.
Talked to PNT and they only coat when they have 100 balls...but they would be willing to exchange what I bring over. The only issue is when I can get over to the island. Not a biggy as I can't find any product in town to coat them anyways.

Seen this product, not sure if it is close to what PNT is using but looks interesting. What do you guys think?
http://www.hilltronix.net/index.php...ref=H100&sid=9ai5ms23uof838684tj579391118210x

Charlie there was an add on craigslist Vancouver that I saw a while back and he made glow and UV coated cannon balls. His prices were good so I got 2 and have been happy with them. I believe he was in Surrey. Found the add.... http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/2626049141.html

Never mind the rest, find and buy the best! Everyone loves my coated balls - 1oz. to 70 lbs., big or small, we do them all. PNT, Harbour Chandler, Active Tackle, Magic Lure Products, PA Foundry, Invictus & many more...I quote by quantity and only sell to qualified & verified business entities. If you need to find the nearest dealer, feel free to contact me and I will refer you in the right direction based upon your local.

DHA.

attachment.php

@charlie415

For standard coating in any color, but primarily black or glow, both River Sportsman & Tyee Marine in Campbell River have my balls available via they're main lead supplier.

DHA.

@charlie415For standard coating in any color, but primarily black or glow, both River Sportsman & Tyee Marine in Campbell River have my balls available via they're main lead supplier.
Last time I checked Campbell River was a long boat ride from Powell River.

Cost me more for ferries and gas than it would to coat 20 balls....Hence why I am looking to do it in the shop.

Last time I checked Campbell River was a long boat ride from Powell River.

Yep - You are not wrong!

I meant to add Tyee in Courenay as well, but what ever. Anyone can request them from their local dealer, and their dealer can carry them, as there is no exclusivity granted, so it's pretty easy to get them.

DHA.

Back