Coastal Returns 2019

You said Thompson....not all interior stocks combined. There is a differance.
You know that there is other Coho stocks in the interior beside the Thompson right?

You said Thompson....not all interior stocks combined. There is a differance.
You know that there is other Coho stocks in the interior beside the Thompson right?

I never said Thompson River, OBD did. He was referring to the restrictions that are managed off the IFS abundance not the Thompson Coho abundance. You are right tho lots of **** returns out there thats why its silly to think that MSF can ever go away.

IMO....MSF are our only shot at any sort of an inside fishery the spring and summer.
There is no way DFO will have it any other way. In fact it’s just easier just shutting us down!

Hey Wildman - where'd you get these? Very interesting. Would like to look over some older versions. Thanks

I wish there was some central area but this is pieced together from Various places on the internet and from some social media posts I seeen, as well as local Sfac.

CE - closer to the shoreline - less Fraser stocks. Some CWT results on the WCVI to demonstrate this effect.

Anyone know the return to the wannock River ? And what it has been in the past ?! Wondering how the hatchery has improved returns or not... they release 320,000 fry usually. What percentage of hatchery fry survive to return?

Anyone know the return to the wannock River ? And what it has been in the past ?! Wondering how the hatchery has improved returns or not... they release 320,000 fry usually. What percentage of hatchery fry survive to return?

I'm really curious to hear those results as well SG. I have some serious concerns about what the outcomes of that program will be over the long term.

Maybe this isn’t the place for this but I’ll post here anyways. Read this article this morning and it’s contrary to everything I’ve heard.

Contributed - Jan 23 10:05 am
Fishing guides in B.C.'s Sea to Sky region agree on one thing - 2019 was a bad year for Pacific salmon.

Jon Moon of Art of Angling Fishing Guides said he was motivated to sound the alarm after a particularly dire season.

"As a fishing guide here, I've seen a massive decline in the last 20 years," he said. "And it's not just me saying this, it's fishermen that I run into on the rivers, other guides in town, and I would really like to have this brought to the forefront. I feel like it should have been the largest election issue for voters in the Sea to Sky corridor. It's the backbone of the health of the Pacific coastline."

Logan Wilkins of Trout Country Fishing Guides concurred, noting "we've seen declines across the board in most species locally." He singled out last year's chum return specifically as "incredibly dismal."

Pemberton Fish Finders' Brad Knowles, whose guiding area spans from Vancouver to Bute Inlet, and as far inland as the Fraser, said that while the Coho and Chinook numbers were "looking OK," this year's sockeye run to the Birkenhead River was concerning. "I think there were only maybe 8,000 fish, which is a very, very low return," he said.

This summer, federal fisheries experts painted a troubling picture of the challenges facing Pacific salmon, and pointed to climate change as the main contributor.

A report put out by Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) this summer said air and water temperatures in B.C. and Yukon continue to rise, while changing precipitation patterns are altering freshwater habitats. These effects have only been compounded by landscape-altering human activity as well, the report stated. "There is no question that climate change is having a significant impact on our salmon," said fisheries minister Jonathan Wilkinson at an August news conference in Vancouver. "Not only do these declines have direct impacts on our ecosystems and the health of our environment, but they have serious impacts on the health of our economy."

Sockeye numbers in particular were not promising, with the DFO adjusting the species' expected return to the Fraser River to more than 600,000, down from an earlier projection of nearly 5 million.

Twelve out of 13 Fraser River Chinook populations were also recommended for protection under the Species at Risk Act, and a rockslide along the same river blocked the migration route of millions of salmon and prompted criticism of the provincial government's response.

Last edited:
Not the place. And he might be the only guide that thought it was a bad year for chinook (sockeye no duh but that’s nothing new). Maybe just a bad fisherman? Writer of article mustn’t of interviewed very many people.

Ok maybe mods can move it. And yes I thought that his experience was exactly opposite of nearly every other person or report I’ve heard or read this past year.

Bad fisherman. Lol. Guess a guy needs someone to blame.

Last edited:
Many river systems, like the Squamish and Birkenhead are in fact doing very poorly, for most if not all species.

Not the place. And he might be the only guide that thought it was a bad year for chinook (sockeye no duh but that’s nothing new). Maybe just a bad fisherman? Writer of article mustn’t of interviewed very many people.
I don’t think I’ve heard any reports like this everyone I know had a banner season

Some very encouraging chinook returns to the Squamish system this year. There was a significant amount of chinook in Howe Sound in June and early July that were likely fish talked about in this report. Hopefully the trend continues.. the Tenderfoot staff look like they are on to something.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200123-122755_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200123-122755_Drive.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 40
Some very encouraging chinook returns to the Squamish system this year. There was a significant amount of chinook in Howe Sound in June and early July that were likely fish talked about in this report. Hopefully the trend continues.. the Tenderfoot staff look like they are on to something.

Wow that’s great news

Back