Coast Guard warns of explosive hazard after barge runs aground on Haida Gwaii

Wow..... That looks like its the Hippa Island lodge for WCR.... I know other may not agree, but the best thing to do if its leaking fuel is light it up. Only way to stop fuel from leaking & spreading damage everywhere.

Sorry but I fail to see how lighting up the barge releasing toxic fumes into the atmosphere would be a way to deal with this. Never mind the extreme risk of explosion.

Because fuel released into the marine environment is way worse and the tide will spread it out. The hydrocarbon would have been combusted regardless

Gasoline is volatile and will float on the surface. It is not nearly as damaging as heavy oils.

I believe that burning the barge with all the other chemicals it probably contains would be a poor choice.

It is likely that the amount of fuel onboard is minimal as it is the end of their season.

From the news.....

"There are reports that a gas fuel line may have ruptured and leaked into the barge hold.

No injuries have been reported, and as of 11 a.m. Monday, there are no reports of any fuel leaks into the ocean."

Some would see this as a reason to burn it to the waterline but most would prefer to tow it in for repairs. It might come in handy for next year. :rolleyes:

From Sept 14, 2018
Floating lodge still beached
screen_shot_2018-09-14_at_8.52.03_am_p3338140.jpg

Booms have been placed around a grounded fishing lodge barge so contaminants that may be seeping from its hull don’t foul beaches on the east coast of Haida Gwaii.

The Council of the Haida Nation has provided an update on efforts to assess and salvage the barge, which grounded on Lina Island, near the village of Queen Charlotte after breaking away from its mooring in high winds last weekend.

The council’s news release says the booms were placed Thursday while technicians monitoring the barge and surrounding area confirm air inside and around the hull remains unsafe because of harmful vapours.

Anyone approaching requires a respirator and other protective equipment, while the public must stay outside the 300-metre emergency zone set up by the coast guard.

When the barge carrying Westcoast Resorts’ Hippa Lodge went aground, there was concern that a possibly ruptured fuel line had filled the hold with potentially explosive vapours.

The Haida Nation Council says, as safety considerations permit, efforts have been underway to vent those vapours and assess damage to the barge.

“While the operations team works to finalize a salvage and (cargo removal) plan, the environmental unit continues to perform sampling for hydrocarbons and an environmental impact assessment is being conducted,” the release says.

The council release also describes any pollution from the grounded barge as “minimal.”

I can see it from my porch (and no, I don't live with Sarah Palin). The volatile fumes presented a severe safety issue, but a lot of expertise got called in, and the prognosis is for removal of the various hydrocarbons to a waiting barge, followed by hull repairs, followed by refloating.

I hope the guy who suggested lighting the fumes and detonating a thousand liters of fuel never is trusted with anything bigger than an empty Bic! And I mean pen, not lighter!

Considering what a disaster this could have been, since the lodge came unmoored in +/- 50kt winds, and made its way through a maze of rocky reefs, islets, and points before lodging more or less horizontal on a rocky "beach" that can be easily approached by barges and tugs, it's a fairly happy story. Having enjoyed running skiffs out to that Hippa lodge at the start of the season, and back at the end, I'm sad to see it beached, but glad it's salvageable.

The comment to "burn it" it was if it was leaking out fuel into the shore or ocean... . As big as "1000L of fuel" sounds, its not much more than a fuel tank on a large piece of equipment. Its standard protocol for an uncontrolled release to "light it up" as it prevents an environmental wreak. . The fuel would be combusted & into the atmosphere had it been used by an engine.

In situ burning is the most environmentally beneficial way of dealing with uncontrolled hydrocarbon leaks from vessels on the high seas.

The calculus changes when it is a controlled situation and the vessel is beached on an ecologically sensitive environment.

In fact, there were 18,000 liters of gasoline, and 15,000 liters of diesel on board. Again, lighting that up by introducing flame to a fume-infused area, thus igniting or scattering the remnants of the large barge above, and no doubt releasing a hell of a lot more of the pollutants than the trace amount that actually escaped, would have been a failed IQ Test of the first magnitude.

Fortunately, the fuel has been safely removed, and the holes in the hull have been temporarily patched. Getting it off the beach will be an interesting endeavor.

the latest is Not Good News for anyone except Salmon-a C&P from the email I rec'd earlier today

NOVEMBER 05.2018 | IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Hippa Island 2019 Season Cancellation

Dear Westcoast Resorts Guests:

As many of you are aware, we suffered a major incident with the Hippa Lodge this fall whereby the lodge came loose off of an anchor buoy on Haida Gwaii while in transit to Vancouver for the winter.

The barge drifted onto a rocky beach and several hull breaches occurred which required extensive works and coordination with Haida, Provincial and Federal Agencies to ensure the situation was handled correctly. There was also a fuel tank breach caused by the pounding of the hull on the large boulders on the beach. Luckily, after extensive work to dislodge the barge, there was no fuel spilled into the environment.

The barge is now located in Vancouver and is undergoing further examinations to determine actions moving forward. However, the bottom line is that damage to the hull and all the myriad of support systems below deck is extensive. Water and fuel within the hull were up to about four feet in height at times.

Significant challenges will be faced in repairing the lodge and there are serious shortages of available drydock space for hull repairs until 2019. Based on the magnitude of work to be done and timing of contractors to undertake the work, Hippa Lodge will not be ready for the 2019 summer season.

Therefore, a decision has been made – out of fairness to our valued customers – to cancel the upcoming 2019 season for Hippa. We simply cannot guarantee that Hippa Lodge will be available and each of you deserve the opportunity to seek alternatives for your next great fishing adventure.

Obviously, this decision is not taken lightly, and we regret having to make it.

Over the next few days, our sales staff will be in contact with those of you having booked trips and determine how we can assist toward alternatives. It is important to note that our other fishing resort, Englefield Lodge, will open as planned for the 2019 season and we will do our best to migrate as many of our guests from Hippa to Englefield’s remaining vacancies.

You can remain assured we will be striving to work toward giving you options moving forward to keep you being able to enjoy the wonderful waters of the mystic islands called Xaayda Gwaay.yaay Haida Gwaii.

-6dbXnc6uShfUxOpVWTU1TYNw9cJMXicQDryxARFxbz-3qHJ1m3aEqISrTg2Z3USXGc8VZtKHGGcx6n_nhlxh22kpOd9C2tOGPFECDrRWXhBX5wy=s0-d-e1-ft

Bob Brash | CEO Haida Enterprise Corporation

yGJFjewUfP3ESaZxRg9kPQYcTJZ5OmQrKdg7I7T5adxnREUg7pjAm5_otjRlnDMMzNfry9dPhgWe9udqjS6miZU07ABBSjX2u50sPMpp6_V6u-I8=s0-d-e1-ft

Morey Maslak | General Manager, Westcoast Resorts

What does this mean for booked guests?
Over the next few days, we will be in contact with all guests with 2019 reservations at Hippa Island to determine how we can assist toward alternatives. It is important to note that our other fishing resort, Englefield Bay Lodge, will open as planned for the 2019 season and we will do our best to migrate as many of our guests from Hippa to Englefield’s remaining vacancies.

As you can appreciate, our phones will be swamped over the next few days with guests asking questions, looking for alternatives and seeking refunds.

If you have a 2019 reservation at Hippa Island, please see link below more answers to your questions.

Getting In Touch
Please contact your sales representative directly for any questions or requests. For a prompt reply we suggest email at this time.

View Team Directory

Questions & Answers
  • Will I receive a full refund? »
  • When will I receive my refund? »
  • How much space is left at the Englefield Bay location? »
Q & A Page: View All

Westcoast Resorts | 1.800.810.8933
HaiCo Accounting: 3188 Alder Ct, North Vancouver, BC V7H 2V6
You're receiving this email because you have provided your contact information or signed up for our newsletter.

Preferences | Unsubscribe

JANUARY 17, 2019

Hippa Island Lodge Update
To Our Valued Westcoast Resorts Guests;

As many of our Guests are aware, the 2019 season at Hippa Island Lodge was cancelled as a result of the beaching of the barge in September of 2018. Since the unfortunate incident, the damages to the facility and scope of work associated with the damages have been deemed too extensive and the lodge has been written off by the underwriters. As a consequence, and with approval of the HaiCo board and Shareholders, we are sending you this letter to advise that Hippa Island lodge will be closed permanently, and we do not have any current plans to re-establish a new lodge at Hippa. This decision has been a very difficult one to make given the long-standing relationships with our valued customers and the loss of employment to our phenomenal staff.

During the past few months we have evaluated every option to repair and reopen Hippa. The financial investment to do so would be excessive given the damages.

For those guests who moved their 2019 season deposits forward to the 2020 season, we apologize for this added inconvenience. We will refund those deposits in whole, or alternatively, if you prefer, we can attempt to find you space at Englefield Bay Lodge.

We want to Thank you for your past support at Tasu and Hippa and hope to see you on the water at Englefield Bay in the future.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email or call me directly at the office - mmaslak@westcoastresorts.com

Should you have any questions regarding future bookings with Westcoast Resorts, please direct sales related questions to Lisa Killick - lkillick@westcoastresorts.com

Yours truly,

sig-mm-2-86d213012a9545d9.jpg

Morey Maslak, General Manager

JANUARY 17, 2019

Hippa Island Lodge Update
To Our Valued Westcoast Resorts Guests;

As many of our Guests are aware, the 2019 season at Hippa Island Lodge was cancelled as a result of the beaching of the barge in September of 2018. Since the unfortunate incident, the damages to the facility and scope of work associated with the damages have been deemed too extensive and the lodge has been written off by the underwriters. As a consequence, and with approval of the HaiCo board and Shareholders, we are sending you this letter to advise that Hippa Island lodge will be closed permanently, and we do not have any current plans to re-establish a new lodge at Hippa. This decision has been a very difficult one to make given the long-standing relationships with our valued customers and the loss of employment to our phenomenal staff.

During the past few months we have evaluated every option to repair and reopen Hippa. The financial investment to do so would be excessive given the damages.

For those guests who moved their 2019 season deposits forward to the 2020 season, we apologize for this added inconvenience. We will refund those deposits in whole, or alternatively, if you prefer, we can attempt to find you space at Englefield Bay Lodge.

We want to Thank you for your past support at Tasu and Hippa and hope to see you on the water at Englefield Bay in the future.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email or call me directly at the office - mmaslak@westcoastresorts.com

Should you have any questions regarding future bookings with Westcoast Resorts, please direct sales related questions to Lisa Killick - lkillick@westcoastresorts.com

Yours truly,

sig-mm-2-86d213012a9545d9.jpg

Morey Maslak, General Manager

interesting that they would rather take the insurance payout then reinvest it. I wonder if the recent Chinook/halibut/lingcod restrictions have played into that decision.

interesting that they would rather take the insurance payout then reinvest it. I wonder if the recent Chinook/halibut/lingcod restrictions have played into that decision.

I suppose it would depend a lot on what the insured value was vs. the cost to replace and expected return. The uncertainty surrounding the future of the Westcoast recreational fishery may well have played a big part on the "expected return" part of the investment equation.

I would think, given the age of that particular lodge, the insurance payout would not come close to paying to rebuild without substantial investment from Westcoast Resorts. It's sad, it was quite a nice lodge.

Back