Coal Island

Ya. Take some chicken out of the freezer for dinner.
(and check for RCAs)

LOL!
I used to do well there jigging off the bottom. Never had much luck trolling. Bottom is too up and down.
Check for closures. Seems to me there was a closure in the summer.

Thanks Tips Up, what time of year did you go jigging? I heard Sidney is more of a winter fishing area. Will keep trying, just getting fed up of catching dogs and rockfish!

I had some success trolling on the flood tide using anchovie a number of years ago, but I went through a lot of gear because of the rocky bottom. I remember I had to constantly adjust depth on the downrigger.

Taste like Cod ahahahah! I'm surprised you didn't say they taste like chicken!!

I wasn't really looking at trolling around Coal Island, as you say I can see myself losing a lot of gear, think I'll leave the trolling to Fairfax and Hambley point.

I believe it was in the Late winter and into the spring. I have not fished out there in about 10 years. Coal Island, the powder warf and the bouy in the chanel were the most productive spots for me. Never got limits but often caught fish.

Tips

I've heard of fish from the Powder Wharf in lare August. I haven't fished it for years though. Anyone heard anything?

TT

Back