CNC Programing Programmer

Discussion in 'General Open Forum' started by John Ingram, Jan 15, 2020.

1. John Ingram

John Ingram Active Member

Good morning,
    Anyone on the forum familiar with cnc programing ??? I would like to get some small parts for reels cut by the water jet process but need the program set up first. Any and all help appreciated
    Thanks

John I.

2. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

Yes .

On a waterjet files just need to brought into whatever nesting program they are using in proper format.

You just need to save your autocad to dxf file on 1 to 1 scale.

They are probably just asking for that.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  3. SpringVelocity

Do you have them drawn in Cad and what software are you using?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    John Ingram likes this.
  4. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Well-Known Member

If you have the original parts they can be scanned. If not then they can be drawn up 3D and saved into .dxf files as mentioned above. SpringVelocity can easily do the job for you. Otherwise you could go to one of the schools like Camosun and see if they have time to help you out. The expense will all come down to time and how much you already have available for anyone to work with. If part or idea is in your head, it will cost you more than if you have the existing part to work with. The process all the way through, is time based and set up(which is time). One part may cost $100. or more. Volume will be less. It's all about time. :)

5. John Ingram

Evening and thanks for the reply. I do not have them drawn yet. I'm old school drafting and have never learned how to use a cad program.
    The 3 parts that I need are a small gear aprox. 1" dia. a small pawl and a small clicker/... all material will be stainless about 1.5 mm thick.
    I think once I have the cnc program for these parts I can have it set up to do multiple parts. These will be parts to upgrade the Mitchell 782
    reels that I have been working on. I'll look into one of the schools maybe helping out.
    Thanks again

6. Gear'n'beer!

Gear'n'beer! Well-Known Member

John,
    I think for what you are describing just getting them machined would be pretty straight forward. They could be done on a water jet, or a laser or a wire EDM or a mill or a machining centre etc... but if you are only looking for one or two just take the parts to a shop and ask for a quote.

Darin

7. John Ingram

Evening Darin,
    First I have to locate a shop or someone that can get them scanned to the proper size and format for CNC. Then I would like to get them set into a nesting program.
    I would like to get multiple's of each part out of a small sheet of material, say 10 of each at cutting time. Just a matter of searching and money to get the project off
    and running.

8. SpringVelocity

If you have the parts and they are simple send me a message. It's way faster to draw them. It isn't that hard and can do them for you. Once you have drawings it makes it way easier for shops with quoting. Most shops won't touch anything without proper dxf and drawing etc.

I have my own CNC machine and I know how much it costs for set up etc. Might be able to give you some advice.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    noluck likes this.