Closed cooling ECM + water pump upgrade question

Vaquero

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to ask a couple of questions regarding the addition of a closed cooling system to a Mercruiser 4.3 TKS engine (Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive if that makes any difference).
I've been looking around at a number of full system kits available from various sources (Mr. Cool, Orca Marine, etc) and some vendors make a notation that in some applications, a 30 GPM water pump and possibly and ECM upgrade are required.
Does anyone have any experience around having to do this and if so, how did you determine if an ECM upgrade was required? I reached out to Orca Marine and they told me that ALL full systems need the 30 GPM water pump but they couldn't tell me whether or not the ECM upgrade was required. Does a carb engine even have an ECM? For reference, my engine has a manufacturing date of 2005 and before I get flamed about putting a closed cooling system on an engine of this vintage, I'm quite certain that it has never seen salt water based on the outward appearances. At some point, I'll pull off the risers and manifolds to verify the internal condition to the extent that I can but I am well aware that the 'ideal' situation is to install when new or close to new.
Any first hand info/experience on this is appreciated, particularly on how to determine the need for the ECM upgrade, what that entails (is it a re-flash situation or a whole new box, if applicable) and is there a part number that corresponds to it.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back