Clear Vinyl Clean and Care

I tried various products and found Plexus worked the best for my isinglass

Just had the clear vinyl all redone on my boat now looking for some input as to the care and cleaning of the product. My new to me boat has quite large canvas and vinyl windows and with the $700.00 tab I just paid to get them redone I would like to take good care of them. What’s best to clean the clear vinyl with so it’s not smeared, streaked and water repels well.

Thx.

Curious about:

1) how much clear vinyl you have on your boat (size of boat I suppose)
And
2) how long it lasted before needing replaced?

Also curious if it’s even possible to “restore” vinyl that is in the early stages of “going yellow.”

I cleaned off my vinyl with an armourall glass product...any comments on that would be appreciated. Guessing it’s not the best!

Thx

Curious about:

1) how much clear vinyl you have on your boat (size of boat I suppose)
And
2) how long it lasted before needing replaced?

Also curious if it’s even possible to “restore” vinyl that is in the early stages of “going yellow.”

I cleaned off my vinyl with an armourall glass product...any comments on that would be appreciated. Guessing it’s not the best!

Thx

I have no idea how old the vinyl was I bought the boat used last fall. Here is a link to the post and pics you get a look at the canvas and vinyl in it. A couple of the windows were decent and probly could have made it but there were also a couple that were shot and looked like ****. So rather than doing a couple now and a couple later I just did them all, start from new.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-to-me.71803/

Vinyl goes yellow and cracks because of break down and worse thing for it is windex NEVER use it any vinyl installer will cringe if you say that...as it contains ammonia, I use a special cleaner on mine 9 years and still looks good sorry dont now the name of it but got it from the guy who did the canvas work. still have 3/4 of the bottle as lasts seems forever lol
always good to spray at end of day with water as well keep the salt off.

Vinyl goes yellow and cracks because of break down and worse thing for it is windex NEVER use it any vinyl installer will cringe if you say that...as it contains ammonia, I use a special cleaner on mine 9 years and still looks good sorry dont now the name of it but got it from the guy who did the canvas work. still have 3/4 of the bottle as lasts seems forever lol
always good to spray at end of day with water as well keep the salt off.

Thanks Roy. Won't be doing that again.

I have been using Meguiars Plastx - bought it in Canadian Tire (its with the car waxes etc.) and says one of its uses is for boat plastic windows. So far I have been happy with it.

I tried various products and found Plexus worked the best for my isinglass
X2 on Plexus for Eisenglass. Used Plexus on my old Eisinglass for 10 years without losing any clarity or having any cracking issues.

Have since replaced my canvas with a mix of Strataglass and Makralon for the clears and have been using IMAR's Strataglass products for the Strataglass and a mix of mild dish soap ("Joy") and water for the Makralon based on the manufacturers' recommendations.

I had to wash the canvases when I got them home and hung them up to dry so the vinyl was spotted when I put them on. I looked around and had a bottle of Rain X sitting in the shop. I used it to buff and polish them and was doing some reading on Rain X. They do make one for vinyl. Was thinking it may be a good product it would help bead off the water nicely.

Any users of Rain X out there.

Save your money for fishing tackle. Used PLEDGE for 25 years on Jeep back windows, ATV windscreens, plastic sideXside windows, plastic headlights, F-150 black window pillar inserts and boat windows. NO issues ever. Perfect for removing scratches and making your clear vinyl clear again or your plastic flawless.

Products cleaning of Meguiar, I very like it. Example M5716SP, it very easy to use and removes dirt within a short period of time

Back