Chums in C.R.

walleyes

Crew Member
If a guy wanted to hit the Chum run in C.R. this fall what date would you guys pick.

Thanks, that’s kind of what I figured which sucks as that’s hunting season lol.

Thanks, that’s kind of what I figured which sucks as that’s hunting season lol.

No offence, but why. they fight good but are suitable for dog meat or the smoker. id rather hunt big whitetail or muleys where your from.:)

but if you wanna know i can hook you up with everything you need. location. run time etc.

No offence, but why. they fight good but are suitable for dog meat or the smoker. id rather hunt big whitetail or muleys where your from.:)

but if you wanna know i can hook you up with everything you need. location. run time etc.

Lol I don’t know it was just something one of my fishing partners and I are contemplating. We never really got our fill this year with just one trip a piece so we’re just thinking about it. We probly wouldn’t end up keeping many just a couple for the smoker would be a C&R fish.

And yes that is whitetail and goose season out here for sure as well I have an Elk hunt planned for this year around that time.

Lol I don’t know it was just something one of my fishing partners and I are contemplating. We never really got our fill this year with just one trip a piece so we’re just thinking about it. We probly wouldn’t end up keeping many just a couple for the smoker would be a C&R fish.

And yes that is whitetail and goose season out here for sure as well I have an Elk hunt planned for this year around that time.

the chum derby can be fun even though it’s almost always pouring rain for some reason. people are usually in a pretty festive mood with lots of hot rums and whatnot on the go.

I repeat River Boy.... "There is no such thing as a bad Pacific salmon-- just bad cooks ! "

Well I planned an October trip last year but cancelled because the run was so poor-what's different this year?

I repeat River Boy.... "There is no such thing as a bad Pacific salmon-- just bad cooks ! "

I know...just had a lovely pink salmon for dinner the other night. i would never travel across Canada in the middle of prime deer hunting season to target chum is all.

Fishing Chum or Sockeye is the same game here.
You can see fish finning everywhere, but they have lockjaw.
You can do the battle boats of Separation Head across from Brown's Bay, sometimes it's on fire.
Other times you head out into the middle of Discovery Passage and nail them.
Sometimes you go fishing right after the seiners have hoovered everything up.
Really hard to give a time that would be 'right'.

The issue with Chum is that you are doing it in snotty weather, stacking lines, trying to go slow, keep the fingers warm...

I wish you luck. Last week, a huge hit of bright chums stormed the west Coast of Haida Gwaii, and made spring fishing, which had been spectacular before, a whole different proposition. With all due respect for the fact that chums are edible when bright, especially if you smoke them, I don't keep them unless they're bleeding. I'm very happy to hear that somebody actually wants them, especially given the price of anchovies.

Well doesn’t look like it’s going to happen anyways, as usual work gets in the way, be lucky to scrap up a few hunting days this fall by the looks of it.

But thanks for the feed back everyone, it will go in the memory bank.

For future reference if you can go on less than a month's notice, wait till the seiner schedule comes out and then just make sure you don't go in the 4-5 days after they are open.

I'm very picky about my salmon but I think male chum from the straits (providing they are silver clean) are excellent table fare if baked in the oven, or smoked, or smoked/canned.

I had several skeptical friends over once and baked up a piece in the oven with honey and bbq sauce and spices and there wasn't a tidbit left.

The females, if clean, are fine smoked. Their bellies tend to be very thin so I don't use them for regular cooking as much.

Basically fish them as you would sockeye and you'll catch fish if the run is in.

For future reference if you can go on less than a month's notice, wait till the seiner schedule comes out and then just make sure you don't go in the 4-5 days after they are open.

I'm very picky about my salmon but I think male chum from the straits (providing they are silver clean) are excellent table fare if baked in the oven, or smoked, or smoked/canned.

I had several skeptical friends over once and baked up a piece in the oven with honey and bbq sauce and spices and there wasn't a tidbit left.

The females, if clean, are fine smoked. Their bellies tend to be very thin so I don't use them for regular cooking as much.

Basically fish them as you would sockeye and you'll catch fish if the run is in.
Heres what I do with Chum ---- fillet and vacuum pack I package sizes enough for 2-6 people. When I WANT GREAT FISH AND CHIPS, THAW AND CUT INTO STRIPS, PAT DRY AND PUT IN TEMPURA BATTER AND DEEP FRY LIKE YOU WOULD COD OR HALIBUT. Try it, my friends and family love getting invited for a fish fry.

Back