Chums in Brown’s Bay

Fishing Deep Water Bay On Thursday flood in the morning.
Gill netters open late afternoon for 41 hours, so best bet is Thursday morning.
Maybe see you there? .......BB
Hoping for a GREAT report! The tarp can come off in minutes!

Thursday 18 Oct, left Campbell River 08:15, went by Plumper saw one boat fishing there.
Arrived Seperation Head 0845, one boat fishing . Lines down in the water 08:50.
Flood tide running really nice lines back about 10-20 degrees. Water is flat clam, cannot
see any fish on sounder nor any jumping.

By 09:30 there is 7 boats fishing Deep Water Bay. Two gill netters pull into the bay adding to the 2 that are in there with a seine boat. Talked to every sport boat there and not one had any fish by 11:00 hours.

Running for Campbell River 11:15, got gas and tied up at my spot at the gov dock at 11:50.
Good run down with the flood tide. 31 liters for a total of $48.

May try one more time next week?

Marina staff told me that there are reports of the chum schools still being up near Port Hardy.

Seine opening on Monday was very poor. Gillnets started yesterday at 4 and I talked to a friend who had 10 by midnight. Extremely poor fishing.

There are always reports of fish up at Port Hardy. Until they are catching them in the seine tests in the upper straits they are just rumours. They are not in the system yet and it is getting late. Hope there is enough for escapement trickling by.

Careful, other way around could sound like...only 1 jumper, can't believe they allowed a recreational fishery. Just because we rec fishers couldn't catch them isn't necessarily an indication of run size - the test fishery told DFO otherwise.
Maybe they shouldn’t have opened it to sport fishing if the numbers are really poor. I’ve spent a lot of time commercial fishing in the straights for Chum. I’ve even worked on the test boat. There was not a lot of Chum in the straits. Hopefully there are some coming late.

Back