"CHUBBY" mods/projects

ahh the old days :)

I think Kanuckle said it best, "man I love the smell of Argon in the morning". LOL

I am welding in a fairly large space with a full bay door always open so I'm thinking that's better than nothing! But a mask might be a wise investment with how much I've enjoyed welding with aluminum.

That picture bothers the hell of out me though! I'm NOT balding. It was just the mask parting my hair funny. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd be easier to weld with the door closed, less draft = better bead.
Keeps your shielding gas where it's supposed to be. LOL

ahh the old days :)

I think Kanuckle said it best, "man I love the smell of Argon in the morning". LOL

I am welding in a fairly large space with a full bay door always open so I'm thinking that's better than nothing! But a mask might be a wise investment with how much I've enjoyed welding with aluminum.

That picture bothers the hell of out me though! I'm NOT balding. It was just the mask parting my hair funny. lol

You might be balding but I didn't really notice that lol.

Did you start chewing?

This pic sure makes you look like me with a wad of Skoal in the bottom lip lol.

attachment.php

It'd be easier to weld with the door closed, less draft = better bead.
Keeps your shielding gas where it's supposed to be. LOL

Just to keep fresh air in the building....its not a wind storm blowing through! lol

No Chew! Just fueled by budwieser.

Looks great where did you buy the winch from ? and how much ?

got it from steveston marine, they retail around $1100-1200, but watch there website they often go onsale for around $900 sometimes less...It is the lewmar 1000

FB, I didn't even notice the pic either, you shouldn't have pointed it out LOL

I have had that Labman and I can tell you it is not too pleasant. I could not get a deep enough breath, it was just like being short of breath after chain smoking. I was crawling around a boat hull that must have been full of Argon gas. Lucky I was with some one to help me out.

Maybe just a suggestion, but a very good one Sculpin!
Ever get the argon so bad you have to hang upside down to clear it out of you lungs?

You younger fellows have all the best in safety gear, not like when some of us started, use it, it will pay off when you get to be my age!

It was a wet one...

braved the monsoon today to install the pullpit...mocked it, dry fit first, cut hole in the front deck for the hawsepipe, then drilled holes for hawespipe to deck bolts, and pullpit thru cuddy bolts...waited for a break in the down-poor and dried the surfaces, and applied 5200 to seal all bolt holes, all had to be done very quickly to avoid surfaces getting wet, 5200 does not like sticking to water...

next, installed the windlass, drilled a couple holes thru to the cuddy for wires, and finished up the crimping and heatshrink inside

one thing Im not very keen on is the anchor locker is a bit shallower then I thought, my rode was 230' (off my last boat), 190' rope 40' chain, I had to cut about 45ft of rope off to avoid bunching/stacking of the rode, causing some nice jam ups...but in reality, I rarely anchor overnight in more then 30ft of water, and the last 50ft of that rode has never been used or needed anyway...just would have been nice to have if it was ever needed...

overall I am very pleased with this part of project, prob my favorite upgrade so far...IMO it suits the boat well, and doesn't look like an afterthought (which I was worried about)...big thanks to Nick for the welding

thanks for reading!!

Attachments

• chubby mods 128.jpg
    chubby mods 128.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 408
  • chubby mods 130.jpg
    chubby mods 130.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 405
  • chubby mods 131.jpg
    chubby mods 131.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 406
  • chubby mods 133.jpg
    chubby mods 133.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 406
  • chubby mods 136.jpg
    chubby mods 136.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 409
  • chubby mods 142.jpg
    chubby mods 142.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 403
  • chubby mods 144.jpg
    chubby mods 144.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 405
  • chubby mods 146.jpg
    chubby mods 146.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 407
  • chubby mods 149.jpg
    chubby mods 149.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 405
  • chubby mods 151.jpg
    chubby mods 151.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 405
well the projects are pretty well wrapped up, the other boat is sold, and the weather is getting nice, so its time to hit the water!!

last little project to the boat was installing an onboard battery charger/maintainer...figured since I had 120v ran into the cabin may as well install a GFI 120 receptical. This makes it easy to plug in a vacuum, drill, ect.. and also alows a heater to be plugged in during winter monts to keep things warm and dry with the cabin locked and secured...

took it out over the long weekend for an overnight on the hook, and a shakedown run the following morning...and it got put through the paces...went trough some nasty chop and decent swell, it absorbed almost anything with ease and handled awesome, had to slow once because pounding was just too violent...buried that nice new pulpit a couple times...never once felt unsafe, unsure or out of control...Im very confident of the boat and its capabilities after this run

only issue was the P66 transducer was losing bottom at speed, I think I mounted it too low and it is creating turbulance.

over all, very impressed, and excited about the up-coming season!

Attachments

• chubby mods 171.jpg
    chubby mods 171.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 302
  • chubby mods 172.jpg
    chubby mods 172.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 301
  • chubby mods 158.jpg
    chubby mods 158.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 302
  • chubby mods 162.jpg
    chubby mods 162.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 304
  • chubby mods 166.jpg
    chubby mods 166.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 300
  • chubby mods 165.jpg
    chubby mods 165.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 300
damn that pulpit looks good in those shots ;)

I would have the chain shackled to the hole where the flukes meet the shank and have the hole at the end of the shank zap strapped just in case it hangs on rocky bottom. .

Boats coming along quite nicely! Have fun :cool:

cheers

chubby mods 151.jpg

I would have the chain shackled to the hole where the flukes meet the shank and have the hole at the end of the shank zap strapped just in case it hangs on rocky bottom. .

Boats coming along quite nicely! Have fun :cool:

cheers

View attachment 6654

I have actually ran it like that before, but found the zap straps get brittle and eventually wear/break...not a huge deal, but i just feel safer overnighting with out relying on the straps...I would hate for the zap straps to break then have the wind/tide shift overnight, and pull the anchor out of the bottom...could easily wind up on the rocks...set up at the end of the shank gaurantees a re-set, even if the anchor gets pulled right out...and the rocna's set QUICK, so it wouldnt drift far.

I have thought it through, and IMO the risk of damaging my boat/engines and waking up on shore is alot worse then losing an anchor

I do have another anchor I use for the river, and if I plan on anchoring in areas known for fouling...less expensive...guess it will make snipping the rode a little less painfull LOL

Gypseas point about where to shackle causes thought-but I agree with CZ. What I do is if I am anchoring in an unknown area I have a rope about 45 ft long with a small bouy attached to the bottom hole on the anchor-so if fouled I can pick-up the buoy and retrieve the anchor backwards. Cutting 100ft of chain rhode would break my heart!!!LOL

Gypseas point about where to shackle causes thought-but I agree with CZ. What I do is if I am anchoring in an unknown area I have a rope about 45 ft long with a small bouy attached to the bottom hole on the anchor-so if fouled I can pick-up the buoy and retrieve the anchor backwards. Cutting 100ft of chain rhode would break my heart!!!LOL

I have seen that done before, but have never bothered with it myself, and maybe I should start using that system....like you said spring fever, it may save some tears the day the rode needs to be cut!!! HAHA

Last edited by a moderator:
What is common night time anchoring practise? GPS drag alarm, human drag watch, or throw the anchor over, hit the rack and hope for the best?

Back