Chinook Research - micro chips

Research

Hi All,

A novel approach to Chinook marine survival research has been underway for several years with a significant funding contribution from the Pacific Salmon Foundation. The project involves tagging thousands of juvenile Chinook salmon with PIT (Passive Integrated Transponder) tags and tracking them back into the river when they return years later. The intent is to find out which fish are surviving and how return rates increase over their first year of life.

The reason this is of importance is that a small fraction of the fish are expected to be caught in recreational and other fisheries. The tags are small (12x2 mm) and consist of a copper winding and micro-chip inside of a glass tube with rounded ends. Tags are usually brown with a black “smoked glass” appearance and comparable to a long grain of rice in size (search Google for photos). They are injected into the body cavity of juveniles and may be found while cleaning fish, usually near the stomach or intestines.

The tags are best found with an RFID scanner which some of the creel surveyors are now carrying this year but please keep an eye out while cleaning fish as they often are visible. Unlike the head depot program, PIT tags can be found in both WILD AND HATCHERY fish. We expect the majority of recoveries from this project to occur within the Strait of Georgia and Puget Sound. A significant number of Columbia River fish are also tagged every year and are more likely to be encountered off the West Coast.

If you find what looks to be a PIT tag please keep it in a safe place and contact Kevin for more information (PM me for now). The data is of significant value to marine survival research and you will find out in-depth tagging information if the tags belong to us as each fish is individually tracked. Swag (hats, shirts, bottles etc.) is available and a reward program may be investigated depending on the number of tags recovered. Tags from previous years are just as valuable so if you are holding on to any now is the time to have them read.

Interesting “research” project but you might have a better chance recovering the PIT Tags from the seagulls.

Actually it's the herons that are keying in on the smolts as they are leaving the river. 400+ tags and counting have been found at one rookery and over 500 at another. Anywhere these fish have encountered a predator we can go back and scan for tags as they pass through digestive systems intact. We haven't even scratched the surface on all the potential places to look so the more eyes we have out there the better.

We have learnt this year that 40% or more will end up in seal/sealion stomachs. Can we now kill these to look for tags? Pretty good odd me thinks.

We have tested that theory and had success finding tags on seal haul outs. Given the realatively few tags out there compared to untagged fish you are better off scanning their crap than their stomachs. We are short on money to send biologists out to look for tags so perhaps this is something that volunteers would be interested in. It is basically the same as metal detecting - walk the haul outs scanning for tags, the tag ID's are automatically logged.

PM me if anyone has an aluminum boat and is willing to spend a low tide or two scanning some islands. If there is enough interest I can put a setup togother. I have to give this a bit more thought but the intent of this thread is to recover more tags so this may be one way to do that.

Really? Are you telling me more research is needed to figure out where chinook are going or why the numbers are so low? Ask any salt water fisherman over the age of 60 and save a pile of money. lol

It’s called Local Knowledge. Typically overlooked by scienctists/researchers because it’s qualitative type data, not quantitative. Been lots of work done in the last decade to help with this, but mostly adopted in small scale artisanal fisheries. It’s a shame too because Fisherman are on the water daily, they know....

Back