Chinook Regs Update

yammy5

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0113-Salmon: Early timed Fraser Chinook - Areas 19 and 20 - Recreational Management Actions

Spawning escapements of early timed Fraser River chinook have declined to very
low levels and these populations continue to be stocks of concern. Similar to
2008, the Department is implementing measures to reduce harvest impacts in the
commercial, recreational and First Nation fisheries. Management actions have
been announced for the Area G troll fishery (see FN0099). Additional measures
for the recreational fishery in portions of Areas 19 and 20 are outlined below.

Effective 00:01 hrs Mon, March 2 and until 23:59 hrs Thurs, May 14, additional
recreational fishery restrictions on chinook salmon will be in effect in
Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (those waters near Victoria between
Cadboro Pt. to Sheringham Pt.). During this time period and in this area the
daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day which may be wild or hatchery
marked between the size limit of 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked only
chinook over 67 cm in length.

Variation Order No. 2009-74

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are
hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the
numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all
fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing
information, can be found on the Internet at:

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
(866) 431-FISH.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact the local DFO office in your area for further information.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0113
Sent February 27, 2009 at 16:29
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Please remember who went to bat for you on this when you land that 16 lbs fin clippee silver in April in Pedder by the can buoy, off the Flag Pole or on Oak Bay Flats. And I don't mean me but my colleagues who fought for you too. While DFO has approved our Cn and Co Working Group counter offer to keep the marked fish over 67 cms, they clearly wanted no part it for this year's regs by their presentation on Wednesday.It was ALL the folks from the SFAB who volunteer their time to make sure our angling interests are looked after that got this positive outcome.

Keepin' in us te water!

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

I know that Chris. And yet often enough DFO ignores your input so let me please celebrate the rare occasion when they actually let common sense prevail! Of course I am very grateful for the work that SFAB is doing on our behalf.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

I know that Chris. And yet often enough DFO ignores your input so let me please celebrate the rare occasion when they actually let common sense prevail! Of course I am very grateful for the work that SFAB is doing on our behalf.
My earlier post wasn't directed at you at all, sorry if it came across that way. It was more a statement to all about how the regs including the 67 cm clipped fin retention came to be. Chris, I too am celebrating with you that the Dino saw sense and as you rightly say let common sense prevail.

Let's go catch some springs! :D

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Are these the same fish that will be snagged by the 10,000 bottom bouncers on the Fraser ?

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Are these the same fish that will be snagged by the 10,000 bottom bouncers on the Fraser ?

Snagging ain't sport fishing - Anyway no sport fishing for salmon on the Fraser till after May 1st - so if your implying snaggers are sport fishing your off base on both counts

Just a soft spot with me. They have all these regs on us salt guys and then allow the carnage on the Fraser.

These fish are pounded into oblivion well before they make landfall and then DFO sets about ensuring that the FN and the recreationals fight over the remaining "stock of concern" which reflects less than 10% of the actual returning runs. The whole thing smells of maggots to me.

Yee-ha!

Maybe, just maybe this will be 'The year of the Tyee' for Terry!

Thought he got his first fattie last year...ummm mean flattie
cheers

JUST FISHEN'

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Fraser regulations at this time will most likely not have the river opening on May 1 but be similar to last year when snagging opened on June 15 for a slot limit chinook retention. The fish in question will therefore be allowed to pass the floosers and the odd real sport fisherman that might be bar fishing at that time hoping for a biter.

Rin you must mean flossing and for sockeye, I have not heard of this method for chinook. These fish are usually in deeper water. Just an observation not a critic.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Rln you must mean flossing and for sockeye, I have not heard of this method for chinook
Don't know about spring time but, before I decided to stick to real sportsfishing, I went summer flossing 4 times: 8 sockeyes, 2 chinook. Guys around me had similar ratios.

The springs are disappearing and I hear all this crap about warm water and such. Gee, you don't think a big part of it might be the natives and the sport fishermen taking the spawners? I have seen guys kill dark fish with roe eggs coming out. Good luck catching a coho anywhere, they tell me coho now have all moved to the west coast. The coho were the first now the sockeye and last to go will be the springs. Even the slimy pinks are slowly going. We need to wake up, if you fish the Fraser don`t floss.

quote:Gee, you don't think a big part of it might be the natives

No not really they been fishing there for 30,000 years. It's only the last 150 there have been problems.

Take only what you need.

Brisco there are two ways of looking at what you say, you fish the ocean you are not harming spawning fish? The all eventually spawn. You think that the only people that can fish are those that have boats? River fishers think that the ocean fishers are intercepting their spawners.
Just an observation.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Back