Checking gear and weeds

cby

Ok question for you anglers? How long do you leave the lines down before checking them? Other than a big piece of kelp, do you pull up your gear when you have weeds on the line?

I check every 35-40 minutes, depending on weed situation and junk in the water.

What are your thoughts.

cby

unless I see a reason I haul my gear every 30 to 40 mins.....GB

Every 10 min or less. A good routine means I can get it up and back down in 2 min or less if it's good to go.

I try to check the lines every 1\2 hr unless there is a need to do it more often due to lots of surface salad.

When I first put down a chovy that has been brined, I check it after 10 min, just to ensure that everything is good. After that it is every 20-30 min, if the bite is off and or the water is clean. If the bite is on or lots of crap in the water, every 15 min or so. As I rarely fish below 50' with bait, I can check and have it back in pretty quick time.

With plugs/spoons or hootchies, ~ every 30 min.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

That sounds like a lot of work but I guess it pays in the end
cheers
quote:Originally posted by SeaFunMan

Every 10 min or less. A good routine means I can get it up and back down in 2 min or less if it's good to go.

gonefishingsign.gif

15-20 minutes regardless of how much stuff is (or is not) floating in the water. Too many times have I just let it get dragged around for an 'extra few minutes' which always turns into an extra 20 (for a total of 40) only to have it come up buggered on the leader, stomach burst, weed etc... From moderate depths it is about 2 minutes assuming no problems with elec. riggers.

When fishing lures I go with the old adage "if your lines aren't in the water it's really tough to catch a fish" so ripping them up and down all the time is not helping your odds..... If your rods are set correctly, snugged down tight and you are watching them like a hawk 99% of the time you should be able to catch if you pick up weed on the initial pickup.

Bait is a different story and hence why I don't use it much :)

For me the end of a tact if I know I dont have any of the bad kelp on Ill use otter pt for instance I have found over many many passes I get most of my fish in certain spots so even if there is a bit of eel grass on I am not going to check gear going through a "hot" spot.
When I turn at the purple house to go back to the pt is when ill check gear so sometimes depending on current 10 mins maybe 30 you can tell if there is crap on the lines.

The thing I hate the most is those big ugly jelly fish that SLIME up you line!!!!!YUCK

Even if it takes only 2 mins to go through the gear and you check it every 10 mins your not going to catch fish if the gear is at your boat you need it in the water!!!!!!!!

I always laugh when you see guys out there that lift both lines at the same time and troll 200 yds with no gear in the water and then I ask them at the dock "any fish" NO!!!!!!!!
and you wonder why!!!!!!!!

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I check at the end of the pass. One as I turn and the other when I get around. So usually anywhere from 20-30 minutes. Pulling two lines at the same time is craziness.

Seriously a topic like this in the prime time fishing for the entire year....you know things are SLOW!!!!

i usually check on the back troll, after the turn, going with the tide as i find most of my hits are going into the tide, but like wolf says i wont pull up gear in what i think is my hot spot, or will i pull up both lines at once
hope everyone hits em hard this wkend, go get em, lol[:p]

Back