Charging Batteries With A Kicker

Sasquatch

I am thinking of buying a new kicker for my 17' aluminum. I run 2 batteries with a cross over switch and 2 electric scotties.

Question is, I'm wondering if I need to spend the exra money to get a kicker that will charge my batteries while I'm trolling?

I remember when I had a kicker on my last boat, I was running on the little motor the large majority of the time - but I was running manual downriggers on that boat so it didn't really matter. Will the electric scotties run my batteries down if I am on them all day?

Any help is appreciated.

For peace of mind I would definately get a kicker that charges the batteries. They dont put out a huge charge but with the two batteries you wont have any worries
Scott

definitely get a kicker with an alternator and a pull start,,,, dead in the water? kicker saves the day!!!

The pull start and alternator is a must have on the kicker if you anchor overnite away from other boaters.

You won't need it for a days fishing but nice for piece of mind. To save a few bucks don't buy the wire harness for the kicker from the dealer ($80) make your own for $10.

check the specs!!!!!! alot of pull start kickers that have a charging system is only 6 amps, electric start kickers usually come with a 12 amp charging system. also remember thats at max rpm so if your trolling around with a 6 amp charger its probably only putting out 3 amps.
that being said it nice to have something maintaining the batteries while you troll around.

I have a 2012 Honda 8hp pull start kicker and it keeps my batteries charged up, plus insurance that if my main doesn't start my pull start kicker will get me home or out of harms way, I'm pretty sure that its a standard option on most models now, of and mine is only 6amps out and seems plenty of juice to run my electronics all day fishing

Were I fish, I run my two downriggerrs deep, 200+ ft most of the time, they are not the new fast scotties, so don't draw that much current. I have found that my low battery alarm does come on if I bring them up often (line pops etc). If necessary, I wll start up the main engine and run it for a while in neutral untill the voltage gets back over 12.5v. I only run battery.

I have a Yamaha 9.9 with electric start that's wired to it's own battery with the downriggers. If I have a problem with a low battery I can jump one batttery to the other.

One of the good products on the market is a device by Blue Seas that automatically isolates your starting battery from your house battery. That way you never run down your starting battery. When you charge your batteries it will automatically charge the lowest first.

I have the bluesea add a battery system -- it works great,but I want to wire my kicker in as well to help keep the batteries charged however how do you go about wiring the kicker in do you wire it direct to the ACR as the main motor is ?
How do you stop electricity from going fom one motor to the other and blowing a stator or something worse. In case you have both motors running

I have the bluesea add a battery system -- it works great,but I want to wire my kicker in as well to help keep the batteries charged however how do you go about wiring the kicker in do you wire it direct to the ACR as the main motor is ?

Wire it with the main motor in the add-a-battery system. BlueSeaWiring w kicker.jpg

How do you stop electricity from going from one motor to the other and blowing a stator or something worse. In case you have both motors running

The motors will have blocking diodes in their charging circuits so electricity can flow only one way. It's the same if you run two motors to one starting battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got an answer from blue sea ,they recommend that I wire the kicker direct to the starting battery ??? I figured that when I'm running out to fish the add a battery has already charged the starting battery and isolated it,, so I wired the kicker direct to the house battery ,so went out yesterday for a 12 hr shift most of it trolling with riggers and electronics going and my low battery alarm did not come on once ,volt meter said house battery at 13.01 volts with he kicker charging it . I am happy a nice addition to the rig

I've come to my boat only to find the batteries are dead. Pull start the kicker and run it for no more that a half hour an then start the main with the charge in the batteries. Very handy.

No question kicker with an alternator. I'm mean if your looking to buy one you might as well spend the extra $100 bucks I added one to a 2 stroke mercury for less then a $100 a few years back

No question kicker with an alternator. I'm mean if your looking to buy one you might as well spend the extra $100 bucks I added one to a 2 stroke mercury for less then a $100 a few years back

Agree. Totally worth the little extra. Just like Birdsnest posted. It can get you out of a jam.

Interesting thread, I am about to embark on a re-wire of an older hull. I have installed a 4 stroke kicker, electric start with its own battery (and 10A alternator). I'm wondering if the Add-a-Battery system is what I need since I'm planning to yank the minor rats nest under my dash and start over. I have a pair of new Scotty electrics to feed as well. Can anyone tell me how much current they pull? Need to size wire and fusing for them.

Back